• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 3.0 Software Thread

RobM

Distinguished Member

McCol

Prominent Member
Am I right in assuming that turn by turn apps will be available on a 3g with os3, or is this a feature of the new 3gs?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Am I right in assuming that turn by turn apps will be available on a 3g with os3, or is this a feature of the new 3gs?

TomTom was announced during the 3.0 software speech, before the 3GS announcement, so it should be safe to assume this is a 3.0 feature that will be applied to the 3G hardware as well.

jerryq7777

Prominent Member
Is it jailbroken and unlocked yet ? :rotfl:

pdiddy

Established Member
Do you think you`ll still be able to use PDAnet to tether for free once 3.0 is jailbroken?

I certainly won`t be paying for a bolt-on as I only use it occasionally and only for web browsing rather than large file downloading.

Nebbs

Established Member
Can someone confirm if the voice control is a os3.0 feature or dedicated 3gs feature??

Was looking to upgrade to the all new iphone prior to the announcement, but as i still have 8 months left on my contract i dont see the new features of the 3gs enough to warrant the extra cost. Cant help feeling this is a mid-way step to something else maybe later down the line, sort of like a 3½gs.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
TomTom was announced during the 3.0 software speech, before the 3GS announcement, so it should be safe to assume this is a 3.0 feature that will be applied to the 3G hardware as well.

I cant see how TOMTOM will give away their software for free in the 3.0 OS.

I really hope so but i dont think they are that generous.

It will be a App store application, at least. and i;d expect it at least £30, prob more.

From the above link...

This one sure took awhile to go from rumor to real, but at long last, authentic TomTom navigation has arrived on the iPhone. 'Course, we would've personally preferred the Garmin touch, but at this point, we can't really find it in our hearts to kvetch. The app shown at WWDC today was surprisingly slick, and while the robot voice didn't exactly get our juices flowing, the currently unpriced TomTom car kit is definitely a boon for those looking to avoid standalone PNDs. Apple has informed us that the application will surface "this summer," though it didn't mention a price; in other words, we can't imagine this being cheap. You think TomTom wants a $19 app undercutting its $300 navigation systems? Doubtful. Video of the new setup is after the break.

In fact just watched the video and it says, "Coming soon to the app store", so NO it wont be included in the 3.0 OS

But it's confirmed to work on iphone 3G

Last edited:

RobM

Distinguished Member
I cant see how TOMTOM will give away their software for free in the 3.0 OS.

Who said anything about it being free? :confused:

The question was will it, with turn by turn maps, be available on the 3.0 software or the 3GS only.

The answer was it was announced as being a supported feature of the 3.0 software.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Who said anything about it being free? :confused:

The question was will it, with turn by turn maps, be available on the 3.0 software or the 3GS only.

The answer was it was announced as being a supported feature of the 3.0 software.

I though when you said 'it will be a 3.0 feature', you meant it will be a part of the 3.0 OS.

apologies :oops:

Last edited:

StevieDvd

Established Member
As the new 3GS phones will come with OS3 I guess the latest beta 5 is likely to be the last.

Does anyone know if Apple usually send out a 'Release Candidate' version during the beta testing phase?

RobM

Distinguished Member
They send out various versions to Developers, but they only issue 'ready' versions to customers.

Of course, with the number of firmware updates that followed the 2.0 release, you could argue that each one was a Beta release.....

LanceR

Distinguished Member
OS3 is available for download next week, why would we need an RC now?

RobM

Distinguished Member
OS3 is available for download next week, why would we need an RC now?

Because next week is a week away. That's like... seven days! Believe me, I've counted! Do you know how many hours that is? I mean come on, this is Apple software, on an iPhone, with new features.... don't you understand what that means?

:D:devil:

AoS_HJ

Established Member
They released the final version to people with developers accounts last night. It's all good but you can't send pictures yet as it's not supported by o2 (at least the pics i've tried to send don't work anyway). The rest is very cool but i did think that there'd be an option for video recording? Oh well you can't have it all......unless you've got a 3gs:D

RobM

Distinguished Member
I spoke to O2 earlier about MMS (for different reasons though) and was told O2 would enable MMS on iPhone accounts once the new software has been released.

oceansize

Established Member
I managed to get MMS working via o2.

Had to install the ipcc file for o2 attached.

The same way you would restore the new firmware but instead choose the ipcc file.

Sent a txt to 1010 containing MMS

Job done!

Attachments

• o2_uk.rar
    4.8 KB · Views: 49

WWFCB

Established Member
I managed to get MMS working via o2.

Had to install the ipcc file for o2 attached.

The same way you would restore the new firmware but instead choose the ipcc file.

Sent a txt to 1010 containing MMS

Job done!

Is this file for jailbroken iPhones, if not does it work on the 2g iPhone that hasn't been jailbroke ?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom