Votes: 58 35.6%
  • No way, I'm sticking this year.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • What's an iPhone?

Votes: 16 9.8%

• Total voters
So what's the consensus on AppleCare+ on these new shiny iPhones?

I'm torn -- last 3 phones (iPhone 8, XS, 11) I have AppleCare, to be fair I had to use it once over that period, went caseless on XS and smashed it within a week.
I bought it last night. I paid the £239 for the theft coverage too. The way I look at it is that I’ll keep this phone until the 14 comes out next year. I’ll then get a partial refund for the AC+ (£120ish?) so I look at it as costing me £120 for the year, or £10 a month. I’ve never claimed on it before, never damaged my phone and think there’s little chance of it being stollen, but for piece of mind, to me, it’s worth it. And don’t forget, if you purchase it while you can you can always change your mind at any time and get a (partial) refund.

Seeing how I’m insisting on going caseless with this behemoth, I’ve also bought it (incl theft and loss) but am paying monthly instead.

i got apple care+ inc theft coverage, mainly because i may at some point end up having to mount on my motorcycle and the vibrations may mess up the camera. pretty happy i upgraded from the 6 alot of were not getting updates since august only thing i missing very much is the finger print sensor. if next years phone has it i will prolly upgrade to it just for that. removing a glove is better than having to remove my helmet if i want to unlock the phone while i am out and about.

I think the optional addition of theft and loss cover make it more appealing. I’ve never taken it on numerous iPhones and never damaged one yet. BUT I might be swayed by the theft and loss cover IF I was upgrading…which I’m not (probably🙄).

Seeing how I’m insisting on going caseless with this behemoth, I’ve also bought it (incl theft and loss) but am paying monthly instead.
It works out cheaper to pay in full if you are able to (I think?)

I’ve not bothered with apple care. Got insurance for my phone through my bank account and it’s cheaper to claim on that than to buy AppleCare.

I’ve not bothered with apple care. Got insurance for my phone through my bank account and it’s cheaper to claim on that than to buy AppleCare.
I also have insurance but, since my bank changed it’s provider, it’s gone absolutely rubbish. They used to use Carphone Warehouse and Aviva - replacements, more often than not, were new and battery health was always 100%.

Since the change, we’ve had reason to have 3 phones replaced in the last 3 years (total of 4 covered in the family). Issues were as follows:

- replacement 1 - used aftermarket screen. Face ID stopped working after iOS update.

- replacement 2 - poorly applied screen with smudge under the screen.

- replacement 3 was the worst. Took 3 times to get it right. 1st time the sensitivity of the screen was off (poorly repaired and replaced) so the phone had a mind of its own. 2nd time the side buttons were broken.

In all cases, the replacement ended up being worse then the original phone and always came to us with battery health of 89-91%, when the originals were at or nearly 100%.

TL/DR - don’t trust my bank insurance for covering this phone. Only 1 decent replacement (with poorer battery) out of all the ones we’ve received. Bank is RBS/NatWest.

It works out cheaper to pay in full if you are able to (I think?)
It does, you’re right. Happy with monthly and it’s a few hundred quid I don’t need to add to the stupid sum I’ve spent on phones for the family in the last week.

Not as bright as it seems in my image. That’s down the flash.

Attachments

• 658FF5AA-2EA1-4F10-94BD-CD3C10AC7861.jpeg
    658FF5AA-2EA1-4F10-94BD-CD3C10AC7861.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 67592AFD-A94E-4E0F-831A-C1EF65AA00D0.jpeg
    67592AFD-A94E-4E0F-831A-C1EF65AA00D0.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 62
I was out hiking this morning, got some amazing pictures and dolby vision videos. Superb camera on the 13, and is definitely a big upgrade for me from the 11 Pro max.

I Screen Mirror'd my iPhone to my LG C9, then played some videos, but they don't come up in Dolby Vision -- Anyone know the best way to display the DV videos shot on iPhone on a DV telly? I'm guessing an Apple TV box?

i am asking for a confused friend who is upgrading to the 13 from his knackered 8, is Quick Start a safe way to transfer data to the new phone? he is worried about losing his photo album

i have always backed via itunes but he does not have a pc

i am asking for a confused friend who is upgrading to the 13 from his knackered 8, is Quick Start a safe way to transfer data to the new phone? he is worried about losing his photo album

i have always backed via itunes but he does not have a pc
Yes it’s safe but best to ask him to go into his iCloud settings to check that he has all his apps backed up that he wants to. For example, I had thought I had everything ok but only when I went in to check did I see that Messages weren’t set to back up to iCloud.

Also ensure that he checks that iCloud has backed up before he does it and also that he has enough storage for his needs.

At the end of the day, he doesn’t need to wipe his 8 until everything is set up on the new phone so it should all be cool.

Well took the jump and went for a 13 Pro. I traded in at CEX as that was the best offer, bought a bunch of CEX vouchers on the classifieds and then bagged a grade A 13 Pro in Sierra Blue 256gb. Happy days. Hating using a 7 plus for a few days. Feels like being in the dark ages. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently caseless but the Max I have upgraded to is, to me, infinitely harder to keep safe in the hand. It’s a shame, the standard Pro was an absolute delight to use without a case and easy to grip - the Max I’m finding is too wide for me with the straight sides. Also finding it too heavy for my little finger where it rests. May have to get a case but, honestly, I’m thinking I may have to end up swapping to a standard Pro. Will give it another week or so before I make up my mind.
And as if by magic (read: somewhat predictably), I’m getting used to the heft of this phone. Definitely not as comfortable as a standard Pro but so worth it.

All day yesterday the tracker was on 'Preparing to Ship' and this morning it changed to this:

View attachment 1575997

Very disappointing, especially as our work Apple contact put the order through straight away. Three other iPhones 13 (one Mini and two 13) in the order are due Monday too, while the iPads all arrived yesterday.

So only one of our four iPhones arrived today, the other three will assumingly now arrive tomorrow, if our DPD driver manages to catch up to his schedule as he was due to deliver before 18:55 but is 'running slightly behind'.

Anyone else’s alarm not going off, my first day back to work this morning after getting new phone (pro max) and I was late. The alarm is actually going off on the screen but there’s sound, whether it’s on silent or not the volume is up the audio is selected…??? Weird, it’s only glitch I’ve had so far but it’s quite a big one lol

Anyone else’s alarm not going off, my first day back to work this morning after getting new phone (pro max) and I was late. The alarm is actually going off on the screen but there’s sound, whether it’s on silent or not the volume is up the audio is selected…??? Weird, it’s only glitch I’ve had so far but it’s quite a big one lol
Not an issue I found. Alarm has been quite happy screaming at me to wake up...

Try looking in Health at your sleep schedule. I was looking in that last night and noticed there's an alarm tab in there to switch on or off?

Anyone still waiting for a pro max from o2? I ordered Monday at the time it was saying 2 to 3 days for delivery now its saying 4 weeks for delivery😑

Not an issue I found. Alarm has been quite happy screaming at me to wake up...
Same here, no issue's with alarm, although worth noting i am on IOS 15.1 beta

Well took the jump and went for a 13 Pro. I traded in at CEX as that was the best offer, bought a bunch of CEX vouchers on the classifieds and then bagged a grade A 13 Pro in Sierra Blue 256gb. Happy days. Hating using a 7 plus for a few days. Feels like being in the dark ages. :laugh:
Arrived today in super 100% mint condition as should be. Lovely weight and size, and Sierra Blue is nice.

Very happy so far. No time to check cameras or battery yet. Need to get a better case as the one I got doesn’t protect the camera properly.

I found out the problem, I use a song from Apple Music & it was downloaded in lossless….the alarm doesn’t work with lossless audio files…so I re-downloaded it as normal aac & it now works fine
Same here, no issue's with alarm, although worth noting i am on IOS 15.1 beta

For those that ordered through Sky Mobile, can I ask what it said in the My Orders section of the site before delivery? Mine hasn’t changed since day 1. Just see “contact us for updates about your order”.
Expecting delivery by 5th Oct…fingers crossed. Got cases and screen protectors , just need the phone now😎

1C9F3D11-C87A-4E28-9CD4-C34DD636B2DA.jpeg
It’s here 😁. ESR armorite Screen protector installed and trying out the Surphy case first. It’s a darker blue than it appears in the photo. I do like the covering around the lenses. Got the caseology vault in black and the Nudient thin in green.
Feels a bit heavier than the xs max but not uncomfortably so. That extra .2 of an inch makes a difference. Can notice the ProMotion. See it when scrolling. Looks a lot sharper, but flicking between it and the xs max , can’t say I would be devastated if it was only 60Hz. Will try out the cameras over the weekend. Looking forward to playing with the macro mode, and the cinematic video setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom