• Still not sure.

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • What's an iPhone?

Votes: 16 9.8%

• Total voters

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well folks, It's that time of year again when the new iPhone's are just around the corner and once again I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to upgrade as my current iPhone (12 Pro Max) is the best iPhone I've ever owned, but.....In a few weeks when I see those nice shiny new slabs of technology ("they're the best iPhone's we have ever made") (we're not going to hear "well, this year's aren't as good as the 5s" etc) I'll drool and think "gimme gimme gimme" and "I need one"!

So, sorry for the long ramble but, what are you guys planning on doing? Planning on upgrading or sitting this one out for a year? For me, I'd really be tempted by an always on display and a darker, blacker phone. (lets hope they do neither so I can stick with my 12 Pro Max!)

Wasn’t going to and was determined not to cave this year. Don’t care for any more fancy camera or video enhancements but an always on display could seriously tempt me away from my current 12 pro max.
Smaller notch? Meh!

We’ll be upgrading to the 13. I’m currently using an XS and my wife has an XR.

I tend to only upgrade every 2-3 years anyway then pass my old phone on to my mum.

I’ll be going pro max this year bought the pro last year as the max was delayed a bit
miss the bigger screen
12 pro selling price is at £621 on music magpie just now without a voucher code

Both me and the wife currently on an iPhone XS and may consider an upgrade. I will look at what deals and prices are for a 12 Pro and 12 mini. I have in the past gotten mine from CEX for its 2 year warranty. Also thinking of the same again and picking up some vouchers from classifieds at around 80% which makes it a good deal.

i am still rocking a 6 its on its last legs right now and gets very warm even when watching the odd ep on netflix or using spotify and the touch screen throws a wobbler just hope it holds out till the 13 series gets released will be a nice jump for me

Too little changes in between phones iterations, so not worth it to me. Very little difference from the 11 to 12 and I expect the same from 12 to 13.

Which is why I change manufacturers each year and will be pre ordering a Pixel.

Changed to a 12 Pro from an 11 last year. Apart from the shiny shiny effect, I can’t say the move has been an overwhelming net positive. I also probably still prefer the form factor of the 11 as well.

But I pretty much always sit on the fence and then I pretty much always end up upgrading. Bit pathetic, if I’m being honest with myself.

Last edited:
I am currently toying with an upgrade to the 13, i own the 11 which i won in a competition so never bought it and the last one i bought was the XR so i guess just convincing my self lol

Recently sold my iPhone 12 Pro Max ... as I have been using a Pixel 5. Will prolly get an iPhone 13 / 13 Pro. The Pro Max was just too big for me to use one handed.

I answered No Way (I am sticking with my 12 Pro Max....).

But then again I say that most years and then end up upgrading anyway 🤣🤷‍♂️

Saying that, with so much home working I have very little need to upgrade anyway. Not that need ever got in the way...

11 pro here and surprised its nearly 2 years old in November, still in perfect condition and battery health is at 94% still only dropping some recently.
I think would like a max next but its not worth it yet unless 13 is something very good, bound to be usual camera upgrades, for now portrait mode and other new modes are so good no need really.
In fact sold all cameras has as use phone all the time now!
I heard to the 13 will be more like 'S' on changes not big changes but we will see.
Yeah and with home working need it less really but when out and about do!

Wasn’t going to and was determined not to cave this year. Don’t care for any more fancy camera or video enhancements but an always on display could seriously tempt me away from my current 12 pro max.
Smaller notch? Meh!
Yep, AOD would have me considering getting one as well.

Yeh this years is a bit meh!

The large changes are getting far and far between...

We don't have any intentions to upgrade this year, we just spent £8500 on a garden and £50k on a new motor. We did however always say if the Apple Watch ever has a redesign, then we'd buy that :)

Pre-orders rumoured to be just over 2 weeks away (17th). Approaching that time when those upgrading decide to sell their current gen phones. Going to be a big influx of 12s when the 13 is announced (likely 14th Sept). Thinking of selling my 12 Mini in the coming days just to get ahead of that and hopefully get a better price.

This still could be the first year I sit it out.
But then again…this is also likely to me around mid September…

7DE09730-843A-4ACA-A3BC-995595FCEB4C.jpeg

We’ll be upgrading to the 13. I’m currently using an XS and my wife has an XR.

I tend to only upgrade every 2-3 years anyway then pass my old phone on to my mum.
I am the same, I had an XR but won an 11 that i am using now and thinking of upgrading it to the 13 in the next few months.

I’d say it’s unlikely as quite happy with my PB 12 Pro. However my track record of not upgrading is pretty bad. I did manage to sit out the XS so if 12pro-13pro (“12s”?) is a similar sort of small increment then I will probably give it a miss. It‘s all about the 14 yeah ?

This still could be the first year I sit it out.
But then again…this is also likely to me around mid September…

View attachment 1563447
I think I see a different shade in the colour there. Yes! It's definitely a nicer colour! I'm upgrading! :clap:

Battery ain’t great on the 12 pro max I don’t think so any improvements in the battery might get me interested. Although they say they get better every year, I’m not so sure.

I could be tempted, still running an X but recently the back of it got cracked and do think at times it’s being sluggish, battery not lasting the day. However the X i have is 256gb with 94.22GB available so would either need to spend for the 256gb again or wondering if can risk the size down.

Imagine apple must be working on something folding or similar, but will not release until its perfect or better than the rest or offers something different!
Sure would like something like the Samsung as when open be like a mini ipad almost then! but it needs to be thinner overall.

Imagine apple must be working on something folding or similar, but will not release until its perfect or better than the rest or offers something different!
Sure would like something like the Samsung as when open be like a mini ipad almost then! but it needs to be thinner overall.
There have been a few Apple patent/design/supply chain leaks over the past few years - folding phones, flexible screens etc all in the design pipeline. Any of those will be years away.

Most credible/likely leak is that the 2022 iPhone ("14") will get rid of the notch completely and use a pinhole screen like Samsung. Maybe TouchID under the screen next year too. Apple do seem to take their time refining tech.

The 13/12S definitely "skippable" if the leaks are true. This will most likely be the last release with a "mini" variant.

Still, I'm a sucker for Apple and new phones..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom