• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 12 Vs 12 Pro

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I’ll be pre-ordering a new iPhone, having held onto my iPhone X since 2017.

I was pretty much set on the 12 Pro, but I’m having seconds thoughts now. The only difference I can between the 12 pro and 12 see is a telephoto lens and Lidar. Is that really the only difference, and is it worth the extra £200?

Veni Vidi Vici

I was pretty much set on the 12 Pro, but I’m having seconds thoughts now. The only difference I can between the 12 pro and 12 see is a telephoto lens and Lidar. Is that really the only difference, and is it worth the extra £200?

Same here. I'm not into photography so the extra camera features not really needed. I did read that the pro models have 6GB of RAM and the others have 4GB but in all honesty will you really notice the difference, no. Especially as you are upgrading an old model too.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
More or less in the same boat (I have an XS), currently swaying just toward the 12. But I may change my mind Friday morning
Same, currently have an XS and going for a 12 over the pro on the basis I don’t need the flashy photo stuff 😂

grimoor

Interesting choices. Currently got an iPhone 6s Plus (12.4.1 iOS). And it’s been working fine, so haven’t been in a rush to change it.

So in my mind atm I am thinking

1) keep phone for another year and maybe upgrade software so it feels a little newer.
2) iphone 12 mini as screen size is about the same in a smaller phone
3) go full on with iPhone 12 pro max knowing my iPad Pro 10.5 will probably get less use over time

Thankfully pre orders for mini and pro max is 6/11, so will have time to see more reviews.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Go on then, who can tell the forum which is more scratch/ding/drop-damage resistant between "aerospace grade aluminium" versus "surgical grade stainless steel"

Cameron583

Go on then, who can tell the forum which is more scratch/ding/drop-damage resistant between "aerospace grade aluminium" versus "surgical grade stainless steel"

Well, aluminium is a softer metal, with a hardness level between 2-3, where as stainless steel is between 5-6.

On the vickers hardness scale, which measures a materials resistance to pressure, steel is about 10 times as strong.

What this means is that steel resists bending, denting and scratching better than aluminium :)

Eg if you dropped an iPhone with an aluminium frame, it generally plastically deforms. Steel generally chips.

sttiago5

Novice Member
First of all, the Iphone 12 pro max has 6.7 inches, and the pro with 6.1 inches. Camera-wise The iPhone 12 Pro Max brings out the best in the Pro camera system. A 47% larger sensor and larger pixels significantly improve light capture on the wide-angle camera. The new OIS system stabilizes the sensor instead of the lens so your shots stay steady even when you're on the move. And the new 65mm telephoto camera lets you zoom in on portraits better.
Other features:
87% better photos in low light
Optical Sensor Shift Image Stabilization
Night mode portraits with the wide-angle camera
In my opinion, if it is worth acquiring the pro max if you are a lover of photography, if not, the two cell phones have very similar characteristics.

ascender

The Verge have just published their reviews now that the embargo has been lifted.

As others have said, if you're a fan of the bigger phone and/or its all about the cameras and the new RAW features etc, the Pro/Pro Max is the one to go for.

I'm quite excited by the prospect of finally being able to get a smaller iPhone with little loss in features.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
The Verge have just published their reviews now that the embargo has been lifted.

As others have said, if you're a fan of the bigger phone and/or its all about the cameras and the new RAW features etc, the Pro/Pro Max is the one to go for.

I'm quite excited by the prospect of finally being able to get a smaller iPhone with little loss in features.

Thanks, I’ll take a look. They can be a bit over produced, but I do like their reviews.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member

Sorry to quote old post, did you ever decide on 12 or 12 pro?

Im in the same boat, camera specs don't interest me, so wondering if Im best saving some money by getting just the 12.

Storage likely 64gb, going by what I have used on my iPhone SE (2016) I still have tons of space.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Sorry to quote old post, did you ever decide on 12 or 12 pro?

Im in the same boat, camera specs don't interest me, so wondering if Im best saving some money by getting just the 12.

Storage likely 64gb, going by what I have used on my iPhone SE (2016) I still have tons of space.

Hi. I went for the Pro, and the price difference wasn’t massive considering the extra storage, which I wanted, and slightly better camera system.

However, in hindsight, if I was buying again I would probably consider the 12 more, but probably still go for the Pro at a pinch. That said, most people won’t notice any difference.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
Hi. I went for the Pro, and the price difference wasn’t massive considering the extra storage, which I wanted, and slightly better camera system.

However, in hindsight, if I was buying again I would probably consider the 12 more, but probably still go for the Pro at a pinch. That said, most people won’t notice any difference.

Thanks, Im tempted to get the pro as well really, Im buying outright and can get a discount on it, so it would be £899 instead of £999. will have to have a good think about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom