iPhone 12 Pro or 13 Pro which to buy?

DelboyWR450

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at an iPhone 12 Pro which is £100 cheaper than the equivalent iPhone 13 Pro. Is it better to go for the 12 and save £100. Both phones have 24 months warranty and are new. Looking at the specs it's a slightly brighter screen, slightly better camera zoom and enhances CPU for the iPhone 13 Pro, but is it just marketing gumph?

Brighter screen - yes, noticeably better. As in, clear to use on a very bright day.

Screen - higher refresh rate - once you’ve experienced it, other iPhone animations look janky.

Battery - considerably better and also the 12 had a habit, for some (me included), of becoming distinctly average over less than a year. Huge loss in health and a massive thread on the Apple support forums about it. Will that happen to the 13? Possibly, but the starting point is higher.

For £100, I’d go for the newer phone but can’t advise on your use case.

Brighter screen - yes, noticeably better. As in, clear to use on a very bright day.

Screen - higher refresh rate - once you’ve experienced it, other iPhone animations look janky.

Battery - considerably better and also the 12 had a habit, for some (me included), of becoming distinctly average over less than a year. Huge loss in health and a massive thread on the Apple support forums about it. Will that happen to the 13? Possibly, but the starting point is higher.

For £100, I’d go for the newer phone but can’t advise on your use case.
Thanks, that's interesting, I had read the 13 has got better battery life but assumed it was down to the newer cpu being more energy efficient. To be fair I don't think the older phones are ever discounted enough to make it a no brainer either which makes it harder

It almost undoubtedly is due to more efficiency but I felt it useful to advise that, while some people had zero issues with the 12 battery, loads of people - myself included - were sorely disappointed.

I’d agree, £100 difference doesn’t really do it and if anything, makes getting the newer phone a no brainer.

IMHO, of course.

At the end of the contract the 13 will be worth more than the initial £100 compared to the 12 and is the better phone.

Judging by the number of people on supplier's mobile communities chucking their toys out of the pram, all variants of the iPhone 13 are on a longish waiting list. Shortage of chipsets etc.

Judging by the number of people on supplier's mobile communities chucking their toys out of the pram, all variants of the iPhone 13 are on a longish waiting list. Shortage of chipsets etc.
mine iphone 13 promax will be here next month, lol

Thanks All, I decided to go for the standard iPhone 13 based on the fact that when I think about it I can't justify the £149 extra for the Pro camera setup. Funnily enough my local iStore in Crawley had 15 iPhone 13s in midnight and some of the other colours. I tend to buy my phones outright SIM free.

Thanks All, I decided to go for the standard iPhone 13 based on the fact that when I think about it I can't justify the £149 extra for the Pro camera setup. Funnily enough my local iStore in Crawley had 15 iPhone 13s in midnight and some of the other colours. I tend to buy my phones outright SIM free.
I've generally found buying the phone on a 24month contract to be cheaper than buying just the phone outright. My iPhone 13 (128gb) over 24 months excluding the cost of the SIM is £410, the SIM is an unlimited plan, how much did you pay for your iPhone if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
I've generally found buying the phone on a 24month contract to be cheaper than buying just the phone outright. My iPhone 13 (128gb) over 24 months excluding the cost of the SIM is slightly over £550, how much did you pay for your iPhone if you don't mind me asking?
I paid £779 and it's unlocked plus comes with a 2 year warranty. I just have a contract with Three for £8 p/m with 8Gb data and unlimited calls and texts with advanced roaming. How does that compare with what you pay in total with the phone and SIM. My total over 24 months is £971. Always interested to know and share.

I paid £779 and it's unlocked plus comes with a 2 year warranty. I just have a contract with Three for £8 p/m with 8Gb data and unlimited calls and texts with advanced roaming
Thanks, I updated my post as i got the cost of the phone wrong! My phone has ended up costing me just £410 over 24 months.

Thanks, I updated my post as i got the cost of the phone wrong! My phone has ended up costing me just £410 over 24 months.
That's very good, how much are they charging you for the SIM? Was there any upfront cost? When I have done the numbers it doesn't seem to stack up for me for the last couple of phones I have replaced. Can I ask who your provider is and was it a deal to keep you on board?

That's very good, how much are they charging you for the SIM? Was there any upfront cost? When I have done the numbers it doesn't seem to stack up for me for the last couple of phones I have replaced. Can I ask who your provider is and was it a deal to keep you on board?
Its with O2 bought via buymobiles.net. I am paying £41 pm for 24 months and I paid £49.95 upfront. The SIM is all unlimited which if I bought it separately from O2 would have cost £26 pm so in effect I am paying £15 pm for the phone plus the upfront cost.

Its with O2 bought via buymobiles.net. I am paying £41 pm for 24 months and I paid £49.95 upfront. The SIM is all unlimited which if I bought it separately from O2 would have cost £26 pm so in effect I am paying £15 pm for the phone plus the upfront cost.
That's pretty good if you want unltd data, over 24 months total cost is £1033.95 versus £971 for myself, and I made a mistake, I have 12Gb data. So in essence not a huge difference and I do get a 24 month warranty which is handy. Depends on individual use cases, I'm happy with the deal I have.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom