iPhone 12 pre-orders

psychopomp1

stormfront.co.uk (Apple reseller) are offering a 3 year guarantee as standard on all of their iPhones. iPhone 12 Pro ships “from 23rd Oct” as shown on their website.

dtobin

If she has her original cable and plug them the 12 will charge fine with them. The 12 would charge faster with the supplied cable but yes, that would need a new USB C plug.

Storvay

Have spent the last few days convinced I’m not particularly blown away by the 12/12 Pro, as an upgrade proposition from my 11. And I genuinely haven’t been!!

So why have I just ordered a 12 Pro? Good God, I’m so predictably lame at this time of year.

(went for non-max because 6.1 is definitely the sweet spot for me and I’ve really enjoyed the 11, which will be going to my daughter)

MahaRaja

If she has her original cable and plug them the 12 will charge fine with them. The 12 would charge faster with the supplied cable but yes, that would need a new USB C plug.
I’m afraid it won’t work with current old iPhone cables or plug. We need to buy a new usb-c adapter plug. So much for Apple wanting to reduce wast that you can’t use your old iPhone cables or plugs with the new 12. The old plug and the cable will add to the digital waste.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
I’m afraid it won’t work with current old iPhone cables or plug. We need to buy a new usb-c adapter plug. So much for Apple wanting to reduce wast that you can’t use your old iPhone cables or plugs with the new 12. The old plug and the cable will add to the digital waste.
Am I missing something here it's a lighting connector. The old one plugs into a usb A the new one a usb C .

Should still charge the phone unless the laws of physics have changed

Inked

Distinguished Member
You can still use your old plug and your old lightning cable to charge the 12.
You just can’t use your new USB C lightning cable with your old plug.

MahaRaja

You can still use your old plug and your old lightning cable to charge the 12.
You just can’t use your new USB C lightning cable with your old plug.
Thanks for your clarification, I was chatting online with an Apple rep and he insisted that I must use a new usb-c plug adapter and our current cables and plug won’t work.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your clarification, I was chatting online with an Apple rep and he insisted that I must use a new usb-c plug adapter and our current cables and plug won’t work.
They'll be up in arms when I try my pixel 2xl charger and a couple of others with my cable and iPhone 12.

My old pixel, Samsung, HTC chargers quiet happily charge my Apple TV 4k remote.

No different expectations for their new cable with my old android usb c chargers

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Not true :)
The iPhone 11 series came with USB-C chargers & USB-C to lightning cable in the box, but they charge fine using old Apple chargers & cables.
2: What’s the advantage of the mag safe thing? If you already have a wireless charger then how is this better?
Main advantage is not having to try aligning your phone to be in the ‘sweet spot’ on the wireless charger, which can be a pain.
With Mag safe the phone will automatically attach to the sweet spot.

martylaa

A 3 year guarantee, who exactly is Stormfront? They have a flashy website but never heard of them, I’m sorely tempted to order a Pro 128GB from them for delivery from the 23rd Oct...

hippo99

Distinguished Member
A 3 year guarantee, who exactly is Stormfront? They have a flashy website but never heard of them, I’m sorely tempted to order a Pro 128GB from them for delivery from the 23rd Oct...
Never heard of them before but their name comes up in news stories so definitely a legit Apple reseller (quite a few physical stores as well). Just make sure to pay with credit card to ensure you’re covered.

Might not survive to honour the 3 year guarantee though...

dr no

We have Stormfront in town. They’re like an Apple approved third party seller. So all legit

dr no

I just don’t understand why Apple just didn’t go all out USB-C this time round. Their iPads have so it would be easy switch

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I just don’t understand why Apple just didn’t go all out USB-C this time round. Their iPads have so it would be easy switch
Because they don’t want to do it at the same time as dropping the power bricks. I think it will be a staged roll out.

That said, I have plenty of USB C devices and I personally still prefer lightning. I’m not sure what all the fuss is about.

dts197

Distinguished Member
Because they don’t want to do it at the same time as dropping the power bricks. I think it will be a staged roll out.

That said, I have plenty of USB C devices and I personally still prefer lightning. I’m not sure what all the fuss is about.
Having a universal connector for many different devices can only be seen as a benefit. Why would you prefer a connector that handles far slower transfer speeds and can handle much less power than USB c?

Inked

Distinguished Member
Having a universal connector for many different devices can only be seen as a benefit. Why would you prefer a connector that handles far slower transfer speeds and can handle much less power than USB c?
For me it would be the fact that it’s a smaller port (so devices can be marginally thinner) and less likely to break due to the structure of the port (no pins inside the port to bend)
Transfer speeds don’t matter to me on my phone as I haven’t transferred data via cable in years, and it already charges plenty fast.

That being said, I’m not sure we will ever get USB C on the iPhone now that we have MagSafe, I think they’ll be looking to go portless before that happens.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Existing iPhone users prob don’t have many USB-C accessories but prob have a lot of lightning port accessories that would no longer be compatible.

You can get an iPhone 80% charged in 30 mins using USB-C to lightning cable so it’s not exactly dead slow either. iPad takes a lot longer to charge, so can understand them going complete USB-C for faster charging. Phone not so much.

dr no

For me it’s about just going to the one cable. The iPad and MacBook are both USB-C. Only the iPhone is fighting the change. Seems it’ll happen next year.

psychopomp1

A genuine Apple reseller, they have a store in my town (Inverness).

martylaa

Just been on carphone warehouse and they’ll give me £400 against my XS max 64GB and also have given me another £115 for an old iPhone 7 32GB as well, so a total of £515 off the price for the iphone 12 128gb where as Apple where only offering £280 trade in...

So on the back of that I have a iphone 12 128GB in Blue ordered and hopefully ready for collection on Friday...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett