iPhone 12: £1300+ and yet no EarPods or charger

Inked

Distinguished Member
I do wonder where Apple can go to next though?
They'll probably start charging extra for IOS.

Or is that a stupid suggestion?
I reckon Apple would actually get away with it.
Of course it’s a stupid suggestion.

Your suggestion that Apple “fanboys” are defending Apple at any cost is also ridiculous.

As stated, I paid £1300 for a phone last year, this years equivalent phone is £100 less.

The new model has better tech in it (better cameras, better OIS, LIDAR, 5G, more RAM, MagSafe, and a new processor (which will likely benchmark as best in the industry) plus a whole new design.

All it is missing is a terrible set of 20p earphones that the majority of people leave in the box and a charging plug which will cost £18 to buy from a third party.

The only thing more ridiculous than your suggestions is that as usual an “Apple hater/Fandroid” (I hate both terms but as you started with the fanboy crap..) has jumped into a thread to tell us all that we are stupid sheep and could be buying £99 POS phones from a company we’ve never heard of instead.

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
This thread was started by an Apple fan and owner so go figure

Members should know by now due to longevity I have zero tolerance for childish insults and such members will be banned. This is not Reddit

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Sorry, SSD storage of course. A slip of the fingers.

This article talks about 10 cents a GB and that's for a 1TB SSD for a PC, which will be way more expensive. It costs next to nothing to move from 64GB to 128 in a phone, I'd suggest and only $6.40 if we go on those figures.
Yeah slip of the finger rather than not knowing what you’re talking about.

Because all SSD storage is all the same? Have you tried fitting a PC SSD into a phone? :rolleyes::facepalm::laugh:
PC SSD comes in many different variations (at different price points) depending on the type of SSD technology it uses. Why do you think Sandisk has lots of different lines of SSD, Ultra, Ultra II, Extreme. Different technology, different speeds & durability :facepalm:

You might as well compare the Ferrari to a Fiat just because they both sell ‘cars’ so they’re comparable.

Last edited:

Vini

£12.99

GlobaLink iPhone Fast Charger, 18W 2 Ports USB C Wall Charger MFi Certified with 2M USB-C to Lightning Cable

Amazon product
I think this is a decent price, if not just for the 2M C to Lightning cable. Charging my X with this reveals how I’ve been missing out on ‘fast charging’ by simply carrying forward old 5v 1/2.1A wall warts!

First time I used this I was amazed at going from 3% to 25% in about 15 minutes.

Vini

Can confirm MagSafe works with the Globallink. It charges my X with (and through) the Apple Leather case, suggesting the Mag(net) is perhaps somewhat solely for alignment?

Granted, can’t confirm at what charge rate on the i12.

E8EAC29A-92EE-44FF-BFCF-864495B44DCD.jpeg

u4coffee

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for fast charging here, but isn’t it fast charging that reduces the life of a battery? Isn’t slow charging better, at least if you’re not in a hurry?

Vini

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for fast charging here, but isn’t it fast charging that reduces the life of a battery? Isn’t slow charging better, at least if you’re not in a hurry?
Apparently fast charging bares little difference.

I guess it’s assuming you’re using wall warts clever enough not to thrash the battery.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The clever circuitry is built in to the phone and this will regulate the charging.

Unsane

Standard Member
I'm going with Apple on this one as there's far too many additional cables and ear pods unnecessarily collected over the years and the reduction in price for the new iPhones is a fair compromise.

I already own a genuine Apple 29W USB-C Power Adaptor and 2m USB-C to Lightning Cable which charged a previous iPad Air and my current iPhone, but also have a charging pad. Also recently purchased a new iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 so purchased the 2m USB-C Charge Cable which obviously slots into the previously purchased 29W adaptor (the included 1m USB-C cable is next to useless due to its short length so reckon Apple could safely drop that from future packaging too).

I'm also intent on purchasing the iPhone 12 Pro Max for 5G capability so well covered for charging peripherals.

sttiago5

Novice Member
I do not strongly agree that the i phone 12 does not come with its respective charger or headphones, since this should be reflected in the price and it is not.
On the other hand, when buying the charger and headphones we will be obtaining new boxes so that care for the environment will not be reflected

Vini

I do not strongly agree that the i phone 12 does not come with its respective charger or headphones, since this should be reflected in the price and it is not.
On the other hand, when buying the charger and headphones we will be obtaining new boxes so that care for the environment will not be reflected
What ‘price benefit’ would you wish to see from the bits being dropped?

One thing Apple does well across its range, is maintain price points. They rarely increase prices unless it’s a drastic change.

By not including a lightning charging cable (which you can get in Poundland) and a wall wart (which you can get in Poundland) and dropping the god awful headphones (which you can get in Poundland). You may potentially be looking at a £3 ‘reduction’. (And if you start to think about the cost of Apple genuine bits then think of it as a cost price from their end!)

I think, in this day and age, the consumer swallowing a £3 ‘cost’ could probably be seen as inflation.

People don’t like change and people just like to moan. It’ll be next cycle or the cycle after (to give people time to forget about all the chirping they’ve done) before the Droid lot follow suit. And by then, we’ll all be banging on about MagSafe this and that, and itll be water under the bridge.

I’m ok using the nest of cables I already have. And never know which of about 5 pairs of Bluetooth headphones to use when I do venture out.

Cheshire Cat

It will be seen as a cash grab but the positive environmental spin they put on sounded good to me.

I can't remember the exact numbers but the number of plugs and headphones out in the world is insane and the benefits of being able to have a much smaller box sound positive too.

Of course, it will be seen nothing more than a money-saving exercise.
If it wasn't just a money-saving scam then why doesn't Apple offer a free charger and headphones to those that need them? Plus what about all the extra boxes that will be needed for those that do need them? I'm sick of PC obsessed organisations like Apple playing buzz word bingo (sustainability, diversity, environment etc etc) and burnishing their woke credentials at the expense of hard pressed customers.
This is all about Apple's profits and Tim Cook's remuneration.

Inked

Distinguished Member
@Cheshire Cat

Where is the price increase?

iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb at release in 2019 cost £1299 (includes power adapter and EarPods)

iPhone 12 Pro Max 256gb at release in 2020 costs £1199, power adapter £19, lightning EarPods £19.
Total cost £1237

Pretty sure that’s a price decrease of £62

Markee

Removing the charger and headphones smacks of cost cutting with a positive spin on environmental impact.

However, looking at it pragmatically, I have my own wireless and wired charging solutions, which don’t involve Apple products. Also I have my own headphones and earphones so have no use for anything they would supply in the box, which are crap anyway (relatively speaking).

So I support Apple with the conclusion that there’s plenty of chargers and earphones out there without adding to the mountain.

sagaris99

Removing the charger and headphones smacks of cost cutting with a positive spin on environmental impact.

However, looking at it pragmatically, I have my own wireless and wired charging solutions, which don’t involve Apple products. Also I have my own headphones and earphones so have no use for anything they would supply in the box, which are crap anyway (relatively speaking).

So I support Apple with the conclusion that there’s plenty of chargers and earphones out there without adding to the mountain.
A positive environmental impact would be changing the lighting connector for USB C.

But I suppose apple wouldn't get any revenue from that, would they. As the one of the world's most profitable companies, I'm sure environmental concerns are top of their list.

Vini

The days of cables being able to connect to the iPhone are now numbered.

I’ll admit to stock piling USB-C PD chargers, in anticipation of the iPhone 12 launch. I thought this was the year of USB-C.

But alas, with the decision to stick with Lightning (despite the iPad having USB-C) and the release of MagSafe, it’s obvious where Apple are going with this. (On the plus side, I have a hundred lightning cables I don’t need to replace!)

So we’ll reconvene in a year or two when Apple shocks the world by dropping all ports and MagSafe (or QI at snail speed) is the only method to charge your phone 😂

The winner? Apple, again

“We dropped all cables/chargers/phones from the box, but you really do now need a new charger, for each car/room/workplace. And they’re £40, plus £20 for a charger.”

They’re not stupid. They’re a business, in it to make money. If you don’t like it, get off the ride.

Cheshire Cat

The days of cables being able to connect to the iPhone are now numbered.

I’ll admit to stock piling USB-C PD chargers, in anticipation of the iPhone 12 launch. I thought this was the year of USB-C.

But alas, with the decision to stick with Lightning (despite the iPad having USB-C) and the release of MagSafe, it’s obvious where Apple are going with this. (On the plus side, I have a hundred lightning cables I don’t need to replace!)

So we’ll reconvene in a year or two when Apple shocks the world by dropping all ports and MagSafe (or QI at snail speed) is the only method to charge your phone 😂

The winner? Apple, again

“We dropped all cables/chargers/phones from the box, but you really do now need a new charger, for each car/room/workplace. And they’re £40, plus £20 for a charger.”

They’re not stupid. They’re a business, in it to make money. If you don’t like it, get off the ride.
I agree. I just wish Apple would spare us its phoney, vomit inducing blather about the environment. But of course the globalist Cook is adept at playing the woke game and parroting the required slogans.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Plus what about all the extra boxes that will be needed for those that do need them?
Posted this on the previous page. The environmental impact of not including a charger & headphones with every phone will EASILY outweigh any environmental impact of the extra packaging of those who buy those accessories separately. It’s obvious when you look at the numbers rather than just raging...

Not everyone is going to go out & buy extra 3rd party accessories.

So let’s say 1,000,000 iPhone 12 owners- even if I used an inflated percentage, say 80% of iPhone 12 buyers go & buy a USB-C charger:

1,000,000 new chargers in the world if they included one in the box
VS
80,000 new chargers and 20,000 less chargers in the world

Even with a high number of people going out & buying a charger, that 20,000 isn’t to be sniffed at. Most likely it’ll be a lot less than 80% & a lot more than 20,000 less chargers in the world.
Also as Inked points out, the iPhone 12 series is cheaper to buy than the iPhone 11 series was, so hardly a money grab as they have taken the price of the charger & headphones off the sale price.

Unsane

Standard Member
A positive environmental impact would be changing the lighting connector for USB C.

But I suppose apple wouldn't get any revenue from that, would they. As the one of the world's most profitable companies, I'm sure environmental concerns are top of their list.
If I'm honest, I do prefer to purchase Apple cables in the interests of reliability and safety. They're obviously good quality and reassuringly expensive.

We can also pop down the shops and leave the iPad on charge without fear of the house burning down.

sagaris99

If I'm honest, I do prefer to purchase Apple cables in the interests of reliability and safety. They're obviously good quality and reassuringly expensive.

We can also pop down the shops and leave the iPad on charge without fear of the house burning down.
I wasn't aware usb c had safety risks......

Vini

USB C as a standard, no.

Chinese wall warts. Different ball game.

Had one pop myself, from a well known ‘mid range’ brand (⚓). Capacitors blew the plastic carcass open, hot smokey internals spewed all over the floor. I’m certain had I not been around/this been a carpeted floor it would have gone up. We’ll never know.

Unsane

Standard Member
Apple cables in general. The previous iPad Air was fast charged by USB-C to Lightning and no worries about not being around when charging.

As Vini states, not all cables are made equal and my point stands, I prefer to pay the extra for the peace of mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett