Question iPhone 11 or 11 Pro: What would you do in my shoes?

WhyAyeMan

Currently rocking a Pixel 2 XL. It has not been very good to me. I was planning on possibly getting the Pixel 4 but I'm not sure I can stomach subjecting myself to another 2 years of Google's shoddy software updates.

Anyhow, thinking of moving to the darkside :) My mate was showing me his 11 Pro Max on holiday, and I was very impressed. It's the first phone that's made my Pixel look rather ordinary in the camera department.

So, I like taking pictures, but I'm not exactly a keen photographer, more of an enthusiast / casual snapper.

My conundrum is this:-

I can either get the iPhone 11 from work. The advantages of this would be that the phone is free, and the contract is free. I can use it for personal use as long as I don't rinse the data too much. Disadvantages are I have to keep it 3 years (technically I can give it back anytime but would not be entitled to a newer model until the 3 years were up), and I can only have the iPhone 11 64Gb model. It's also not mine to sell after the 3 years is up.

Alternatively, I can get the 11 Pro or Pro Max. Advantages are obvious - better camera, screen, battery, more storage potential. It's my phone to do as I please, and I can sell it and recoup some of my purchase. Disadvantage is obviously rather than being free, it's costing me £2K over 2 years.

Any thoughts on what you guys might do if you were me? I can afford it, but £2K is £2K ! But then would I always be wishing I had the better camera....

Storvay

By better camera, you mean the telephoto lens? If you use that a lot then you’ll want the Pro.

Other than telephoto, the camera is exactly the same, front and back, night mode, deep fusion etc.

In your position, I wouldn’t be concerned about screen or battery but I would have pushed the limits of storage if I had kept my XR 64GB for 3 years.

dannius

Seems like a no brainer to me. You can get an awesome phone, which in most of the ways that matter is as good as the Pro, for free! I'd be getting that in your shoes. You can use that £2K over 2 years for something else.

WhyAyeMan

Storvay - yep the telephoto lens is what I'm on about. I don't have one on my Pixel which I've always missed. That being said, how much I would use it in reality, I'm not 100% sure - it would certainly come in useful from time to time....

That being said, as dannius points out, £2k is a lot of a zoom lens you might use once a month or so! And the screen on the XR was always good enough to my eyes so the AMOLED screen isn't really a huge draw to me.

The 64Gb is slightly concerning though; thats what my Pixel has and i've not really put much on it but its still 80% full!

Shanew1705

Just out of curiosity why would it cost you £2K?

If thats the total cost of the contract surely you can get a better/cheaper contract?

Think personally I’ll get an 11 Pro (returned one last week due to monthly cost) but will see what Black Friday deal are about or failing that pick up a 2nd hand one somewhere in the new year

WhyAyeMan

Just out of curiosity why would it cost you £2K?

If thats the total cost of the contract surely you can get a better/cheaper contract?

Think personally I’ll get an 11 Pro (returned one last week due to monthly cost) but will see what Black Friday deal are about or failing that pick up a 2nd hand one somewhere in the new year
Yeah that‘s it basically, 2K is the price of the contract, more or less.

A 256Gb iPhone Pro Max is £1300 give or take, so the service takes it near enough to 2K over the 2 years.

I‘m unsure what to expect regarding the discounts on Black Friday with the iPhone. I know the iPhone’s aren’t always reduced that much. Mind I can’t get a free 11 from work until January so I have plenty of time to decide.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I don’t understand where the £2K is coming from.

I would prefer my own phone. And if you get given one by your employer for personal use, doesn’t that become a taxable benefit?

I wouldn’t take one if offered, I prefer my own number and data and no MDM on it. Only time I had one was purely for work related matters, and the phone was secured to the appropriate security classification. No implications either as there was no personal use, and personal electronic devices had to go in a safe outside the building whilst active on operational matters.

WhyAyeMan

I don’t understand where the £2K is coming from.

I would prefer my own phone. And if you get given one by your employer for personal use, doesn’t that become a taxable benefit?

I wouldn’t take one if offered, I prefer my own number and data and no MDM on it. Only time I had one was purely for work related matters, and the phone was secured to the appropriate security classification. No implications either as there was no personal use, and personal electronic devices had to go in a safe outside the building whilst active on operational matters.
Luckily I don't have to put the MDM on it but yeah I know what you mean I kind of prefer the thought of it being my own phone even if it does cost me more money. I'd always feel like I was restricted in some ways.

Rym

If you can get the iPhone 11 through work then that's an awesome perk. I am not sure you are missing out a lot from not having the pro.

It is nice to have your own number though. Best case if you have one phone only is to get one with dual sim so you have your privacy.

Storvay

I‘m unsure what to expect regarding the discounts on Black Friday with the iPhone. I know the iPhone’s aren’t always reduced that much. Mind I can’t get a free 11 from work until January so I have plenty of time to decide.
If you keep on the lookout, there can be some brilliant deals.

For example, I bought my now departed XR from mobiles.co.uk on Black Friday weekend: 64GB, 100GB data on Vodafone, no upfront cost, £36/month. Didn't see anything as good for the rest of the year.

I suspect the 11 will have some great deals over BF, too.

WhyAyeMan

Thanks all for your comments.

I've done a lot of pondering on this, and I have reached the conclusion it would be rather silly to pay £1200 for a Pro when I can get a standard 11 for free.

I can still use my own number so that's not a problem, it doesn't have to be a strictly 'work' phone. There are some conditions on its use but not overly restrictive. Also these do have the e-SIM in them so if that works that's also an option.

I've been using an XR this week as my Android phone is failing fast and I'm very impressed.

I'm also facing a very expensive 2020 as I may well be buying my first house (been renting for quite some time) so can probably do without spending over £1k on a phone just to have a zoom lens and a slightly nicer screen!