[iPhone 11] How to share data connection with other devices for free?

brothman01

Novice Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I switched from Android to iPhone, and so far most of the functionality I used on the Android has also been on the iPhone minus one important thing...

When I work from home having an internet connection is very important. I am a web developer so obviously I need a connection to the web to do work, but also to check my work email and video conference with work. A few weeks ago I lost internet service for 6 days due to weather conditions near me but I was easily able to share my data connection from my Android to my computer and work without a problem.

The only literature I have found online for sharing internet connection from my iPhone (a feature which the phone automatically does all the time anyway) requires me to upgrade my plan and pay extra. I had an iPhone years ago and it was free to share the connection so I am hoping that I am just looking in the wrong place.

“Settings”/“Personal Hotspot” is what you’re looking for on an iPhone.

“Settings”/“Personal Hotspot” is what you’re looking for on an iPhone.
That's what it says in all of the online help I could find but no that does not exist in ios 13.6 . There is a Settings/Cellular with a "Set up Mobile Hotspot" option, but in order to do that I have to upgrade my plan and pay more which I don't want to do... did iPhone really lose this important functionality?

That's what it says in all of the online help I could find but no that does not exist in ios 13.6 . There is a Settings/Cellular with a "Set up Mobile Hotspot" option, but in order to do that I have to upgrade my plan and pay more which I don't want to do... did iPhone really lose this important functionality?

It’s always been network / data plan dependent.

It’s always been network / data plan dependent.
I am using the same SIM card that was in My Android and I was able to make a hotspot without upgrading my plan on the Android but not on the iPhone. The ability to make free hotspots seems to be network / data plan dependent only on iPhone but free on Android which is weird and bad and greedy. Damn it. Thanks for the answer even though it was not what I wanted to hear.

Mac book pro? I have been talking about an iPhone and an android phone. Was your answer meant for a different thread?

share my data connection from my Android to my computer and work without a problem.
No. I’m talking about a laptop using the iphones connection. As you were asking about.

I'm confused, when or where are you getting a message saying you need to upgrade your plan? On the iPhone itself?

I'm confused, when or where are you getting a message saying you need to upgrade your plan? On the iPhone itself?
Yes, when I choose Settings > Cellular > Set up Mobile Hotspot am alert comes up that says if I want to set up a hotspot I need to contact my carrier or go to a website that allows me to upgrade my plan

Which carrier are you with and what is your monthly data allowance?

Yes, when I choose Settings > Cellular > Set up Mobile Hotspot am alert comes up that says if I want to set up a hotspot I need to contact my carrier or go to a website that allows me to upgrade my plan

And have you actually contacted your carrier? It may just be a setting or option they need to activate from their end and may not be something they charge extra for.

Interesting, where did you get your iPhone from and who is your provider. Are you USA based?

You provided seems to have this locked down, and you seem to be running on their firmware.

I am on 13.6 as well. I don’t even have a cellular menu. Personal hotspot is the fifth setting from the top, right in the main menu.

I would speak to your mobile telephony provider as they seem to be blocking this for you.

oh wow so I literally have different menus from you guys even though we are using iphones and the same version of ios. The carrier has that much power over the phone? I am US-based but now I have not tried contacting my carrier maybe that will be the solution.

oh wow so I literally have different menus from you guys even though we are using iphones and the same version of ios. The carrier has that much power over the phone? I am US-based but now I have not tried contacting my carrier maybe that will be the solution.
Not only that, as I understand there are still two very different standards being operated. In Europe everyone will be using GSM. But in the US it could be GSM or could be CDMA. So yes best speak to your carrier.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom