iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Event

I've been waiting for this release, as my current 6S has battery life that works like a visible countdown timer....but wow, that extra £50 on top of what was already a really high price for the XS whilst the US prices stayed the same for the top models. What a kick in the cashews. Actually makes the Galaxy S10 5G look value for money, and that actually has...well, 5G! But I'm too lazy to change ecosystem again having done a 2 year stint on Android before my current phone. Decisions, decisions.... o_O

Can anyone tell me where the idea that 18 hour battery life for a watch should be something to be proud of? They seemed really chuffed about it in the presentation. Make it 180 hours I might consider buying one (Currently use a Garmin which will last 5-7 days between charges). Maybe they could produce a less full featured version that lasts longer...call it the "Apple Watch Adventure Edition" or something. :D

All in all, the whole event was underwhelming no matter how many gushing superlatives they tried to cram into it.

In my experience with my series 2 watch the 18 hours is not just from wearing it. It is actually using it. So in reality unless you constantly watch the clock face and use apps on it the battery lasts several days. That is occasional notification checks, using as payment in shops and public transport, checking time. And continual recording health data.

Just been and borrowed an old iPhone 6 for the wife to use until I get the 11 Pro Max (hate the naming).
Now to decide whether to sell my XS or her X :thumbsdow

In my experience with my series 2 watch the 18 hours is not just from wearing it. It is actually using it. So in reality unless you constantly watch the clock face and use apps on it the battery lasts several days. That is occasional notification checks, using as payment in shops and public transport, checking time. And continual recording health data.

Interesting - is that a cellular model? How has the battery life withstood the test of time in terms of max capacity degradation?

Watching them promote the built in compass and navigation yesterday I did find myself wondering how short your hike or kayaking adventure would need to be for the watch to make it to the end (given that GPS is a big battery drainer).

If only someone could invent a new never-ending battery technology!

Very happy with my year old XS 256GB which still is in mint condition with excellent battery health but out of interest looked @ Apple official trade in for a new iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple offered me £370! Are you having a laugh :eek:. Be waiting this one out until @ least the 5G iPhone drops.

Very happy with my year old XS 256GB which still is in mint condition with excellent battery health but out of interest looked @ Apple official trade in for a new iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple offered me £370! Are you having a laugh :eek:. Be waiting this one out until @ least the 5G iPhone drops.

I have a £665 offer from MusicMagpie locked in for another 5 days. They are currently offering £610

I just checked this on Mazumamobile to see how Apple Trade in stacks up, and they're offering £610 for a 256GB XS. Quite a difference!

I know someone that still uses a Nokia 6310. ;)

Not enough to tempt me from my XS Max. If it had USB C or 5G I may have thought about it?

But I wish all phone manufacturers would stop adding all the bells and whistles that only a minority use and develop a new battery technology that lasts a few days between charges. I know we have quick charging and charging from other devices blah blah blah, but give me a 3 day battery life. Not everyone wants a Pro spec camera on a phone, or wants to watch HDR/Dolby Vision films & TV shows or play the latest games on a 5-6” screen. Everyone I know rarely uses the camera regularly as it is.

By all means have a Pro camera model, but let’s have a Pro battery model as well for us heavy users.

Used Android for Nexus 4 then 5 and they were great phones at an unbeatable price, but nothing since has tempted me away from IOS since. My son has a Samsung Galaxy 8, while very nice, Android is not for me.

Will now wait a couple of years for 5G to get a foothold before changing again. My 6s Plus lasted me 3 1/2 years (with a battery change and mother in law still using it now), so am sure my XS Max will be good for at least another 2 years.

But I wish all phone manufacturers would stop adding all the bells and whistles that only a minority use and develop a new battery technology that lasts a few days between charges. I know we have quick charging and charging from other devices blah blah blah, but give me a 3 day battery life.

Agree with this 100%. No need to shave another 0.1 microns off the thickness, and increase resolution to a fineness only visible to a bionic eyeball....just put the best possible battery in it

Hmmm, I'm in two minds about upgrading.

On one hand my X is still going strong and will be able to jump to a cheap-as-chips SIM only deal in the next few months. On the other hand, who doesn't like getting a nice new phone? I think it'll depend on the upgrade options available to me...

As for the event itself...they'd go down far better if everything wasn't leaked months in advance. There's no sense of surprise or mystery like there was in the Jobs era.

Interesting - is that a cellular model? How has the battery life withstood the test of time in terms of max capacity degradation?

Watching them promote the built in compass and navigation yesterday I did find myself wondering how short your hike or kayaking adventure would need to be for the watch to make it to the end (given that GPS is a big battery drainer).

I have a Series 4 with cellular. It comes off the charging pad at 05:50 and is usually at around the 50% mark when it's returned at about 22:00.

In the days I do about an hour of recorded workout (Strava using the GPS) it's not massively impacted, and I use it as the primary volume knob when listening to music (all day, every weekday).

Your mileage may vary, but there's never been a day when it's fine anywhere close to not lasting all of it, from a full charge.

In fact I often put my rail tickets in the Wallet so if my phone dies on a night out I can still get through the gates.

My dad's phone has a little hatch in the bottom to put coal in it
Hey, whatever works I say.
For the record, I have tried smoke signals and it didn't work for me........ too damp :thumbsup:

Underwhelming overall, if only there was an alternative tech ecosystem that just works I'd move!

To all you guys that are underwhelmed, disappointed and saying lack of innovation.
What was you expecting exactly?

The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of an announcement for Apple’s rumoured “tile” tracker.

To all you guys that are underwhelmed, disappointed and saying lack of innovation.
What was you expecting exactly?

Some alien tech shit............ :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It’d never happen (and I can get why)

But wouldnt it be nice if Apple had said, other than cameras we’ve got nothing new, so lets not bother releasing anything this year and put it all into next year

How about the ability to customise as easily as you can with Android??

No that is the Series 2. It has GPS and swimproof. It is a bit old now considering we are now at Series 5. Battery is holding up beyond my original expectations.

Girl next to me in the office came up with some quiky ideas, she says most of us that work in offices, why not a solar powered phone that just charges from the lights we sit under for most of the day, something like a special film on the screen...........

erm ok!
Here you go lady, another can of red bull.

Girl next to me in the office came up with some quiky ideas, she says most of us that work in offices, why not a solar powered phone that just charges from the lights we sit under for most of the day, something like a special film on the screen...........

erm ok!
Here you go lady, another can of red bull.

If only office workers had something nearby they could plug a phone into to charge...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom