iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Event

leebroath

Every year, new iPhone and new watch (XS Max / S4 Watch

....not this year!

Extremely underwhelmed with their new products this time.

Next year iPhone with 5G is a must and the watch should be a bigger update.

Last edited:

meagabyte

Id want to upgrade my 8 to a X or XS but looking at the prices of the XS now, they are still north of 1K!!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Still have an iPhone SE, was going to upgrade but might wait till next year in hope they might change to USB C, was expecting it on the iPhone 11.
Would of been nice considering I have an iPad pro which has usb c, save having more chargers everywhere.
I missed that. It's more than peculiar that my Android phone and iPad Pro can share a charger but that wouldn't be the case if I had an iPhone. I don't want to be 'that guy' but this is the sort of thing that wouldn't happen if the great turtlenecked one was still with us.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
link doesn’t work. Sorry. It basically started like this;
Apple CEO Tim Cook has unveiled a series of reasons why your existing iPhone is now disappointingly obsolete, and why you should immediately spend £1,000 on the new iPhone Xs.

leebroath

All the Apple rumour sites suggests this year would meet a lacklustre reply from X / XS owners, although I am sure Apple will still sell 'some' units for those on the right upgrade curve or it is funded by the employer

The 2020 / 2021 rumours read for more interesting; dual facetime / under display fingerprint, reduce the notch, maybe microled
MicroLED on the Apple Watch is going to be brilliant, uses less power and brighter! Which means all those precious extra min/hr without having to charge

Badger Mushroom

Been holding out for something that feels revolutionary since getting my iPhone 6S. I've now pretty much given up on Apple, providing little innovation for maximum cost. Going to try Android for the first time and go for a Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro when they're officially launched in the UK; lots of functionality and a decent battery for 400 quid

zubeir

Completely pointless post - please ignore this member
Tech that has been on various Android phones for many years. As soon as it appears on the Apple, then it's new. The sheep will still come...

Sales dropping, the Asian manufacturers increasing. Trump puts in wedge about Huawei, hmmm. Facebook has collected and shared more data than Huawei, Cisco had backdoor access for years, buts sweep that under the carpet. Not shred of evidence has been shown on why Huawei are a threat. They are a threat to the US economy, so Trump plays his political games with China.

I'll get off me soap box now

Last edited:

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Tech that has been on various Android phones for many years. As soon as it appears on the Apple, then it's new. The sheep will still come...
And there is number 2. Once one sheep is in the others will follow :D:rotfl:

gavinl1967

I'll be sticking with my XS max. I can say with 100% certainty, this will be the first time ever that I see out a 2 year carrier deal - so I'll be looking at May 2021 before I can upgrade.

I also have no interest in 5G, 4G is more than good enough for my needs.

MLR

Many of us feel the same, but if your paying over the odd's for "the latest and greatest" then you would expect it to have 5G as that is the latest big thing in the mobile phone world, that all the networks are now pushing.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Same. LTE speeds are good enough for my use case, I've yet to see any justification for 5g (for me personally).

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Same. LTE speeds are good enough for my use case, I've yet to see any justification for 5g (for me personally).
Agreed, besides it is rare to actually get the full throughput of 4G as it is. The 11 Pro series do bring Gigabit LTE and also AX wifi. That could already provide a realistic data speed increase without the need for specific network upgrades.

I wouldn't have said not to 5G, but I'm not worried about not having it either.

Iron Monkey

Standard Member
I've been waiting for this release, as my current 6S has battery life that works like a visible countdown timer....but wow, that extra £50 on top of what was already a really high price for the XS whilst the US prices stayed the same for the top models. What a kick in the cashews. Actually makes the Galaxy S10 5G look value for money, and that actually has...well, 5G! But I'm too lazy to change ecosystem again having done a 2 year stint on Android before my current phone. Decisions, decisions.... o_O

Can anyone tell me where the idea that 18 hour battery life for a watch should be something to be proud of? They seemed really chuffed about it in the presentation. Make it 180 hours I might consider buying one (Currently use a Garmin which will last 5-7 days between charges). Maybe they could produce a less full featured version that lasts longer...call it the "Apple Watch Adventure Edition" or something. :D

All in all, the whole event was underwhelming no matter how many gushing superlatives they tried to cram into it.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
In my experience with my series 2 watch the 18 hours is not just from wearing it. It is actually using it. So in reality unless you constantly watch the clock face and use apps on it the battery lasts several days. That is occasional notification checks, using as payment in shops and public transport, checking time. And continual recording health data.

Iron Monkey

Standard Member
In my experience with my series 2 watch the 18 hours is not just from wearing it. It is actually using it. So in reality unless you constantly watch the clock face and use apps on it the battery lasts several days. That is occasional notification checks, using as payment in shops and public transport, checking time. And continual recording health data.
Interesting - is that a cellular model? How has the battery life withstood the test of time in terms of max capacity degradation?

Watching them promote the built in compass and navigation yesterday I did find myself wondering how short your hike or kayaking adventure would need to be for the watch to make it to the end (given that GPS is a big battery drainer).

If only someone could invent a new never-ending battery technology!

Goonerdude

Very happy with my year old XS 256GB which still is in mint condition with excellent battery health but out of interest looked @ Apple official trade in for a new iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple offered me £370! Are you having a laugh :eek:. Be waiting this one out until @ least the 5G iPhone drops.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Very happy with my year old XS 256GB which still is in mint condition with excellent battery health but out of interest looked @ Apple official trade in for a new iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple offered me £370! Are you having a laugh :eek:. Be waiting this one out until @ least the 5G iPhone drops.
I have a £665 offer from MusicMagpie locked in for another 5 days. They are currently offering £610

Iron Monkey

Standard Member

I just checked this on Mazumamobile to see how Apple Trade in stacks up, and they're offering £610 for a 256GB XS. Quite a difference!

Hampy1972

I know someone that still uses a Nokia 6310. ;)

Jason56d

Not enough to tempt me from my XS Max. If it had USB C or 5G I may have thought about it?

But I wish all phone manufacturers would stop adding all the bells and whistles that only a minority use and develop a new battery technology that lasts a few days between charges. I know we have quick charging and charging from other devices blah blah blah, but give me a 3 day battery life. Not everyone wants a Pro spec camera on a phone, or wants to watch HDR/Dolby Vision films & TV shows or play the latest games on a 5-6” screen. Everyone I know rarely uses the camera regularly as it is.

By all means have a Pro camera model, but let’s have a Pro battery model as well for us heavy users.

Used Android for Nexus 4 then 5 and they were great phones at an unbeatable price, but nothing since has tempted me away from IOS since. My son has a Samsung Galaxy 8, while very nice, Android is not for me.

Will now wait a couple of years for 5G to get a foothold before changing again. My 6s Plus lasted me 3 1/2 years (with a battery change and mother in law still using it now), so am sure my XS Max will be good for at least another 2 years.

Iron Monkey

Standard Member
But I wish all phone manufacturers would stop adding all the bells and whistles that only a minority use and develop a new battery technology that lasts a few days between charges. I know we have quick charging and charging from other devices blah blah blah, but give me a 3 day battery life.
Agree with this 100%. No need to shave another 0.1 microns off the thickness, and increase resolution to a fineness only visible to a bionic eyeball....just put the best possible battery in it

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Hmmm, I'm in two minds about upgrading.

On one hand my X is still going strong and will be able to jump to a cheap-as-chips SIM only deal in the next few months. On the other hand, who doesn't like getting a nice new phone? I think it'll depend on the upgrade options available to me...

As for the event itself...they'd go down far better if everything wasn't leaked months in advance. There's no sense of surprise or mystery like there was in the Jobs era.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Interesting - is that a cellular model? How has the battery life withstood the test of time in terms of max capacity degradation?

Watching them promote the built in compass and navigation yesterday I did find myself wondering how short your hike or kayaking adventure would need to be for the watch to make it to the end (given that GPS is a big battery drainer).

If only someone could invent a new never-ending battery technology!
I have a Series 4 with cellular. It comes off the charging pad at 05:50 and is usually at around the 50% mark when it's returned at about 22:00.

In the days I do about an hour of recorded workout (Strava using the GPS) it's not massively impacted, and I use it as the primary volume knob when listening to music (all day, every weekday).

Your mileage may vary, but there's never been a day when it's fine anywhere close to not lasting all of it, from a full charge.

In fact I often put my rail tickets in the Wallet so if my phone dies on a night out I can still get through the gates.

Hampy1972

My dad's phone has a little hatch in the bottom to put coal in it
Hey, whatever works I say.
For the record, I have tried smoke signals and it didn't work for me........ too damp :thumbsup:

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme