iPaq?

Spanjab

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

I am about to get myself a good remote to replace the ever growing pile of remotes I presently use.

I was about to get one of the Marantz b/w ones as the colour one seemed ludicrously expensive when I found this article:

http://www.remotecentral.com/nevo/index.html

Has anyone here used an iPaq as a remote and can give some feedback as to whether it is good or not?

Many thanks,

Spanjab

I've just borrowed one from work but it doesnt seem to be to up to the job. The IR signal isnt strong enough and the ipaq has to be pointed DIRECTLY at the unit you are trying to control. Becomes far too irritating to use. Shame as the interface isnt at all bad, and its in colour.

I can confirm sweetmate's summary. I too borrowed an IPAQ (3970) from work and found the Nevo IR needed to be pointed directly at the IR windows of the device you were trying to control.

However, if you are interested in going the PDA route, a much better buy is a Dell Axim X5 pocket PC (available for under £200 in the UK) and a PDA-IR extender (CF) card. As the Axim has a builtin CF slot (unlike the IPAQ) this should work quite well. Use PDAWin's TVRemote software and you can use colour Pronto/Marantz CCF files. These are still slight issues with this setup but these are software-based and will be resolved with time (hopefully).

The latest version of the PDA-IR will support the Axim, check here for the manufacturer's website.

In the UK, I believe Laser already carry the IPAQ version, not sure if they have the Axim-compatible one yet?

Over at Remote Central check out the PDA forum, I think some people aready have this setup.

Oh, and here's the link to Axim over at Dell

Hope that helps!

Ah cool, so am I right in thinking it will work on the iPaq but only with some kind of a caddy to put the card in?

OK thanks, I've been looking at the ProntoPro software to see if I could program it well so I could use it on an iPaq. To be honest I am struggling, is it worth working at? Is there a resource that might make things easier?

There is a definite learning curve involved in programming the Pronto remotes and the dodgy software doesn't help a great deal. However, if you perservere with it, it does get easier.

A lot of resources (faq, graphics, codes, configs etc) are available at Remote Central. I suggest anyone new to the Pronto bookmarks that excellent site.

There are issues with the TVRemote software that make it not quite as good as the full-blown ProntoPro hardware, but these should be ironed out (eventually). If you already have an IPAQ or Axim, then its prolly worth it but if you're buying a PDA specifically to be a remote, then its maybe worth hanging on a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom