1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipaq & tomtom BT Blues

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by PFM, Aug 26, 2005.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I just got me a 3517, with tomtom 5 and a BT-308 gps unit. I have paired the two units, and installed the software.

The Ipaq can see the GPS and the GPS blinks at the corresponding rate for a connection.

However, tomtom 5 cant see the GPS unit even when I configure the gps in tthe tom tom menu.

I'm a bit of a newb to satnav software, is there something I've missed?

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Yes - you've missed the fact that TTN5 has more bugs than a Pixar movie!

Downloading the 5.1 patch here may help, otherwise you may have to configure the GPS as a wired device. Details of how to do this are listed on Tom Tom's site.

3. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have Ipaq, Tom Tom 5, and BT-308 and I have to configure my TomTom gps as "Other Cable NMEA GPS", Baud Rate 38400, and Bluetooth Com 8.

Hope that helps

:)

4. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Folks,

I tried the other cable option and still have no joy :(

I have installed globalstats own piece of software for checking the sat status and can see/read all of the satellite positions.

but still no tom tom recognition - even to the point where it seems to disconnect the bluetooth signal

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    I think outbound bluetooth on the 3715 is Com6.

Have you installed the 5.1 patch?

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I've gone back to TT3 - I found the bugs, even in 5.1 unbearable to live with.

My Dell X50V, with a Globalsat BT338 & TT3 never misses a beat. It makes me wonder what the hell is going on over at Tom Tom, for them to release such a flawed piece of software.

7. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I recently upgraded my Axim X30 from TTN3 to TTN5 and could not get the wired gps receiver to work. Luckily I was able to acquire the new TT bluetooth reciever and have had no further problems with the combo. I think TTN5 is a great improvement over TTN3 - but only if it works I guess!

8. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :thumbsup: up and running,

after all the headscratching, problem solving and bleeding eyes, the problem was finally tracked down to a pairing authentication issue that tom tom was failing to see.

Whoohoo :clap: I drove home from work today without getting lost (even when I was trying to) :rotfl:

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    For the benefit of others, can you post details of exactly how you resolved this?

10. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...bump...

Dear PFM

As mentioned by Crocodile, could you please detail your resolution to this problem as I am still experiencing the same issue with the pda not picking up the gps signal from a proper tomtom gps bluetooth receiver.

I have followed the details on the tomtom site - and also e-mailed them, but you guys probably know the best way to fix this in a reali life situation.

(by the way, I have paired the device, however every time I check it does not retain this pairing on the pda - if that helps).

Many thanks

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi Guys, i had a very similar problem. The GPS and phone paired ok but for some bizarre reason tom tom 5 would not see it, no matter which ports i tried to use. Totaly by luck I fired up pocket streets and it could see the GPS fine, i then went back into tom tom and BAM! It could see the GPS and has done ever since!

Coincedence? Probably but give it a try if u have pocket streets.

12. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Monty

I've solved my issue - a pairing problem with TT, a hard reset and a few tweaks did the job

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yar I know mate :) , I was responding with how I solved my issue of my tom tom pairing problem according to other requests above.

How did you solve yours? What tweaks did you do? If you can remember any of them, it may just be enough to get someone else working :thumbsup:

Shady: I forgot to mention that whenever I quit Tom Tom it also seems to automatically kill my bluetooth and turn it off. I don't know if this is a user setting in TT or not, never really investigated as it is the only time I use BT.

Good luck!

14. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...well after a bit more playing around I can now see the GPS receiver - however the PDA seems to continually want to dial a telephone number which I have set-up for internet access when I use my 'phone a a modem.

I have killed all of these settings, but it still insists on dialling this number.

How can I get tomtom to just talk to it's own GPS receiver. :mad:

Monty - I have Pocket Streets installed, but I cannot see any options for GPS. Do I need to have exported maps from Autoroute ?

Sorry for being a little dense.

:blush:

Cheers

15. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    hehe you aint Dense mate, TT is ridden with bugs. Its the sole cause of me having to reset my device manually :) :mad:

Since my last loss i have not bothered to re-install Pocketsteets but from what I remember it was in a menu on the bottom left. I would imagine maybe that you have a diferent version to me as "GPS" was very obvious in the menu's.

The only maps I had were downloaded from here and not exported from Autoroute or any other app....didn't even know you could! :rotfl: If you use any map and you are not on the map physicaly, all PS would say is an error on the screen of something like "Not visible on map".

If your PDA is trying to dial a modem or GPRS then it sounds like you may have selected incorrect com port in TT or the relevant app and selected a built in com port/modem re-director - this is just a guess though!

16. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in reply, I have been busy at work and didnt have chance to read the thread fully.

The issue with the pairing was solved by a friend of mine who (with my permission) did a hardware reset, reinstalled tomtom, and then ran through the pairing mechanism. The trick apparently is not to run the Globalstat GPS test software prior to runing TT as this can block up the Com Port.

I will ask a few more detailed questions as to how it was achieved and then post the solution