Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

iPaq RX3715 as universal remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Dog with 3 legs, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone is using one of these PDAs as a universal remote. If so, how user friendly is it as a remote. It ships with Nevo pre-installed but I don't know how successfully it is implemented.

2. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    looking at one of these myself. a mate at work has one and he controls his TV DVD and amp no probs, have a look here
    http://www.mynevo.com/mynevo/Manuals/Manual.aspx

for the manual specific to the hp's IPAQ implimentation. I have seen it one my mates one and it looks quite smart. Im not sure how well it works but was planning on getting one soon. by the looks of things you can teach it with the IRDa as well as using the manufacuter codes or the inbuilt gui menu options. It does activity based macro's too, i guess the key is that its a pda primarily not a remote, but if you want to spend that kind of money then at least you have a device that plays mpeg4 and pictures and web browser and all the pda good stuff as well as a neat remote.
    I plan to get one for my HC for the evening and use it for work during the day, that way the wife and kids can struggle with the normal remotes during the day and i have the nice one at night. plus they wont have the chance of busting the LCD. ( which has happened to me in the past)

3. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I'm planning on using one the same way. The RX3715 looks like it can do a hell of a lot for not a lot of money. Using something like Netremote you can also use it as a master controler for a HCPC MP3 player.

I'm just waiting for the delivery of mine.

4. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    I tried using my iPaq 2210 as a remote...

some of the commands are a bit slow when transmitted - there is a delay between pressing the 'button' and anything happening

and...the infra-red range is terrible, you have to be aimed straight at whatever you're controlling and preferably in a straight line!

5. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd heard this about the 2210 but the 3715 is supposed to have some internal tweeks plus an upgrade of Nevo so should be at least useable

6. istari knight

istari knight
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hey ive got a remote.......................................its black :boring:

7. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried this, the new IPAQs have a short range IR capability, The 3970 back has the long range. My IPAQ 3970 worked well with Nevo. The programming was a bit limited compaired to the Pronto. My new 5550 with remot TV V5.0 does not work at all well. I need to be within 0.5m of the screen. This is because the short range IR does not use as much battery. The advantage of Remote 5.0 is that it uses the Pronto editor and files.

I did think about getting an old 3900 from eBay as a remote but decided to get the RU950 instead as it is a better all round machine, plus I really need the RF.

8. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My RX3715 arrived today. It is without a doubt the BEST PDA remote I have tried and I have tried many, from the Ipaq 5450 through various Dells. This is the first one where the beam bounces off the walls.

This is of course using the built in Nevo

9. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dog with 3 legs

im glad to see you like it, mine arrives next tuesday and i cant wait to set it up. Im hoping it will work all my stuff, lighting controllers projector xbox...etc..oh yeah and the telly

looks really smart too. what is the screen like in a dim room, is it acceptable ?

I saw on mynevo.com some screen shots with the tv channel logo's, im assuming you can download these to allow quick access to your favourite channels. how far have you gone with the programing ? have you done the activity macros yet.

10. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can adjust the screen to suit the room lighting so no problems there.

You can program in favourite channels so one button takes yo straight there. Plenty of options on macro's too.

I've been tied up with other things so haven't had much chance to play with it. The only negative I would state so far is that you are stuck with the Nevo buttons, fully customizable but the basic shapes stay the same. Not a problem in my eyes.

The D pad is more responsive than on other Ipaqs in the past too so can now be used for volume/channels reliably.

11. JoKaRi

JoKaRi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have been concerned about the IR range of these PDA devices in remote control usage, but now that I saw this thread and your comments about the improvement in this area I'm really thinking of buying the iPaq rx3715. Thank you!

About the buttons, have you tried the "graphics download" from Nevo's web pages http://www.mynevo.com/mynevo/Download/Download.aspx to dowload new buttons? (requires registeration).

Btw. Can you define what buttons you have visible at each page?

12. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :thumbsup: i now have the 3715 and the nevo bit is quite smart.
    i have programmed all my kit, you can setup different rooms withing the house and that then allows you to control different kit within that room
    You can add users and give them access to different favourites.

I have added most of my kit usingthe inbuilt codes, my denon amp and panny projector didnt work so, i just used the learn function like any other muliti remote ive ever used, and basicaly programed the buttons i wanted. even creating the button text i want. you can also move the buttons around on the page

I havent downloaded the buttons, but i did try the giffs for the favourites. but when i dropped them into the correct folder ( as the website says) they are not in the drop down to select. ( i think i need to spend some more time on that one), but the favourites work well, you can add your own blank page and stick 8 on each.

the macros are good i have set up some. One that dims the lights turn on the pj and drop the screen and play a dvd from a single press...
    you can even add a time delay between each activity which is smart.

the range is good too, im about 3-4m away from the kit, and with the exception of my futronix p100 ( which is not directly in the line of sight but adjacent to the IR beam) everthing works very well. the lights will dimm but when they are down they seem to not respond to the 3715 unless im about 2m away ( could be an IR radiation issue with the halogen bulbs, or something)

but overall the nevo remote software does a fairly decent job

I have the following configured
    SONY TV
    SONY DVD
    Panasonic PJ
    Futronix lights
    DENON reciever
    TLC varilight
    PACE V1 SKY plus box

oh yeh and the wireless works well too, handy for web browsing when the adds are on, or controlling the media centre on the XBOX.

13. JoKaRi

JoKaRi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thank you for your user comments also! I think I will order the PDA today.
    Hope its worth every penny:)!

Come to think of it, it would be really nice to be able to control my HTPC with the rx3715 also. ...Have to start "googling" if and how its possible. ..it would be nice if someone had some comments/experience on this and would like share his or her comments.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

14. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, I cant recommend the 3715 enough for the remote control, I thought I might have some trouble finding some budget equipment, but the pda recognised all my equipment first time, and learned all the functions easily.
    So simple even my other half can use it without too much nagging, and the customisable macros are handy, one button to turn tv,amp and dvd on, and open the drawer! I make the other half put the disc in and close it. Sheer laziness but brill! :clap:

15. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have created a zip file containing some 50 UK tv and radio logo's (.bmp) for the FAVORITES section of NEVO, if anyone is interested then PM me, its a zip only about 250k

Its quite smart to be able to tap the screen logo of the channel you want. ( us blokes can remember the 3 digit codes, but the misus cant, and after all if she is impressed i think thats a good thing.

let me know if anyone is interested, it takes a bit of setup, having to copy them all to the IPAQ Mobile Device then \My Documents\Nevo\Favorites and then seting up each channel number and selecting the image from the drop down.

Most of them are the 67x37 pixels, apart from the music ones which are close, but i got bored of re sizing them ( still look cool tho)

16. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have stuck it on the website.

Nevo Logos

its not too big ( 172kb)

17. richjaylu

richjaylu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dominic - just spent an hour typing in the UK channel names - your download is most welcome. RX3715 is a cool little gadget and i would highly recommend it to anyone. The nevo software was really easy to use and I set up plasma, amp and dvd player in less than half an hour. The favourites screen looks better now as well.

18. braduk

braduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I only got my RX3715 today (and it's love at first sight!)

Could you please tell me how you got Sky+ to work with it? It's not playing ball for me at all.

Also, I can't see an option to learn from the remote anywhere - can you help please?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

19. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi brad, after receiving my ipaq i had exactly the same two problems you have encountered, the learning option is found by tapping the bottom right spanner logo and then accessing express learning, ive not used it as i had all the codes installed, the only one that i had to download from the www.mynevo.com site was the pace 3100 (sky plus) site, i think it was either the 12th or 13th category selection below the pace pull down menu.

Im just about to put in the logos kindly posted above. I must admit i was really looking forward to the ipaq, and when i received it i was baffled by how to work it, it really isnt like a pc, lots of different menu functions that take a bit of getting used to, but it was worth the wait and im really glad i took the time to learn how to use it. Just waiting to get a tomtom activation code and i think the pda will be an integral part of my life!!