iPAQ h2210

A

ailean

Just got this setup with Nevo (very quick but I'm sure I'll find limits) and got control of TV, Amp, DVD, VCR, Pace 2000 NTL (WITHOUT THE REDEYE!!!!! :eek: ), Varilight dimmers and X10 modules.

Only had to learn the dimmers and power off for the DVD.

Range is okay so far, a little directional and as has been reported the X10 IR box is a little picky.

Got TVRemote installed and will have a play with that and pronto files this week.

Hope to be able to retire the army of remotes soon. :smashin:

Have been using PDAwin TV Remote on my Dell Axim X3 for the last week or so and am so far very impressed with it in CCF mode (except that the hard buttons aren't mapped very sensibly - but that's Dell not PDAWin).

The IR is a little more directional than my Pronto RU9890 but the screen is a revelation - no more murky grayscale graphics - and I can play Jawbreaker and Diamond Mine when I get bored!!!!!

Not bad for the money.

I really like the idea of using a PDA instead of my Pronto..

Whats the best value PDA for use as a Pronto replacement?, and cheapest place to get it, Cheers,

Mark.

I've not used a pronto but as with any dedicated device I'm sure it's better at it's job then a jack of all trades like a PDA. I just couldn't justify >£600 for a remote, but ~£300 for an iPAQ that work paid for seemed fair. ;)

I'd reconmend trying to borrow one to try out before purchasing, any of the ones that come with Nevo have the CIR built in.

In the current iPAQs I think only the h2210/2215 has this, 2nd hand you can get the 3950, 3970 and 5400 series.

These are the only PDAs I've really had time with as we use them at work. Check http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html for others and details of IR extenders for non CIR PDAs. TVRemote can just load your current ccf file so dead easy. :)

Mark Ward - look out for cheap deals on Dell Axim's (the X3 has consumer IR built in and the X5 needs a CF IR extender card) - can get them quite cheaply off of e-Bay direct from US or keep an eye on Dell Outlet - the X5 seems to have been discontinued in the UK for the time being.

If you need any advice on Axims check out www.aximsite.com and their forums

I will second the motion for a Dell Axim X3, the basic model costs just £170 and comes with strong ir so no extender is needed.
Far better value than a pronto. The hard buttons on this pda are mapped differently from other pda's but this can be overcome with a little tweaking of your ccf (well three out the four can be).

Originally posted by Sandman
hard buttons on this pda are mapped differently from other pda's but this can be overcome with a little tweaking of your ccf (well three out the four can be).

What are the issues with the button mappings? Can you use them for Vol + - Channel + - ???

Dell X3 looks like a good bet then, I'm quite proficient at tweaking CCFs. Thanks,

Mark.

Can i have first dibs on your pronto if/when its up for grabs!

Hehe, quick thinking..... But my Pronto won't be up for grabs, I'll still have it for the kids to use. I couldn't sell it anyway as my daughter immersed it in Tango last Christmas. It still works although the buttons have a strange "tacky" feel that means there's around 0.5 Sec delay between depressing a hard key and it returning to it's default position. It's getting better over time, but definitely not a saleable item.

Mark.

can the X3 also be fitted with a wifi card, to give me even more flexibility?

I'd go for that for only slightly more than a mono pronto.

You can buy an X3i which has built in wi-fi which leaves you free to use the SD slot for memory. The straight X3 or x3 advanced could only use an SDIO wi-fi card which would then limit your ability to use a storage card aswell.

I programme prontos for a living but would be quite happy to programme PDA's but the fact remains they just are not as powerful when it comes to range and direction.
now if your a hobbyist thats ok you can live with it you can accept the differences and live with the perfomance.
now if you bought a product from a company and it didnt perform well you would complain.

I agree with you bob - my RU890 is far less fussy than my Axim X3 about direction - this becomes so important when using multi-device macros., (no point have a 10 step macro if 1 or 2 of the steps doesn't work because the remotes not quite pointed in the right direction!)

Having said that it does all boil down to value for money and Prontos are excessively costly IMO.

They do seem excessively costly and excessively huge too. It's been a while since I held one but judging from the specs they seem like bricks compared with the latest PDAs, which are also far more complex, powerfull and cheaper. Althou with the dollar as it is the ProNG colour is about £400 or less if you can pick it up state side, a bit better the UK ~£600 for the 970pro. ;)

I agree they are expensive but the whole point of this type of remote is ease of use for your average customer.

My customers ring me up and request call outs when a battery symbol flashes in the display and they ask why it isnt working?!

If you can programme a PDA your not the sort of customer Most prontos are aimed at .

I wish PDA ,s had more powerful Ir emmiters i would certainly sell more colour remotes.

The fact PDA,s do a lot more means they have a bigger market this keeps costs down also there is far more competition in the PDA market.

It just need someone even Philips to bring out a PDA which uses Pronto software then they would have a killer product.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom