1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPAQ as a Remote Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by johndon, Jul 17, 2003.

1. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I got an iPAQ 2210 for work the other day and having read on these forums and on remotecentral.com about the possibilities of using one as a remote, so I thought I'd give it a go last night and I have to say I'm well impressed.

Using the pre-installed Nevo software, it took less than 10 minutes to get it working with my Tosh RPTV, Sky+ and Yamaha Amp. I'm sitting around 9 feet away from the AV gear and there was no problem with the distance for the IR range. OK, you do have to point it pretty much straight at the gear but, as it's right in front of me anyway, it's not a problem. Set up a couple of macros (or activities as Nevo calls them) and they work fine and set up some favourites so the wife just has to press the channel logo on the remote and the digibox changes to the channel.

It still needs some fine tuning and it's not working with my DVD player yet but I can teach it the codes but I'm now the very happy owner of a colour remote at a great deal less than the price of a colour Pronto.

John

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have an older Ipaq 3630. You can use a software package calle TV Remote Controller ($15 from pocketgear.com) which is Pronto compatible as well as having it's own vocie controlled option. This is a great peice of kit.

You can also get a IR extender for about £32 from Laser business systems (which fits into a CF card scoket if you have the adapter. Then there should be no problems with range.