Ipaq 1910 lost data - can this be retrieved ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Shady, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi chaps

Just come back from the honeymoon, (more of which later in other threads I am sure...), but our Ipaq 1910 appears to have lost all of it's data.

This was switched off for the past fortnight and when we have come back to it, turning on the power resulted in the standard OS being displayed - no password, no calendar entries, no word docs or excel spreadsheets - nothing.

We have charged the unit up and tried the reset (sticking the stylus into the button on the left hand side), but to no avail.

And before you all say backup, we were looking at the SD cards in duty free on the way back (horse bolted anyone).

We had no way used up all the standard on-board memory, so what has happened ?

And more importantly, can we get this back ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated and help cheer up a new bride.

Many thanks

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,921
    Seems like no-one wants to be the bearer of bad news. The answer is that (for reasons best known to themselves) PDA manufacturers don't provide additional battery backup for the volatile memory. Consequently when the PDA fully discharges, all data is lost.

If you have sync'd the PDA with a PC then when you re-sync you should get contacts & calendar, etc. back. There is an additional backup feature within Activesync to safeguard against future loss.

My dear old Psion used to run for months on a pair of AAs & had additional battery backup. The iPaqs die after a week of not being used & lose everything. Progress eh?

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the bride will require an alternative way to make her smile
    ;)

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,125
    This happened to me once, I was unaware that you couldn't leave it for a week unused. Fortunately I sync my ipaq regularly and had also done a full backup to my computer, so all was not lost.
    If I go away for a couple of days now and leave it at home, I will leave it on the charger cradle all the time - it's ok to leave it charging for a couple of weeks.

5. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Doh...

We don't normally sync the pda with the PC, although we do connect the device and the active sync screen is displayed. Does this automatically update the PC ? (Sorry for the basic question, just never normally use this feature).

We are only really interested in the calendar entries as this was a record of all of the preparation for our wedding and it would have been nice to have retained this. If so, can this be synced back to the pda ?

Thanks for your replies chaps...

6. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If the active sync screen displays then it 'should' have backed up your data to the pc. reconnect the ipaq to the pc and let active sync run. It should then restore the data to the Ipaq. If this doesn't work then it looks like the data is lost, sorry.

7. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Wyniro

Many thanks, have managed to get the contacts back, unfortunately the calendar has not - as we did not select this to be sync'd when we set this up.

...muppet...

At least we will know for next time - many thanks though.

Cheers

8. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi chaps

Well we have managed to retrieve the address book by syncing with the PC and now have a SD card for backing up the data files.

However, the internal backup battery is still showing as not charged. How do we charge this battery or will it need to be replaced. If so, is this a user change or it will it have to go to an authorised repairer ?

Cheers

9. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,921
    Short answer - don't know.

Long answer - you can get direct support (of a kind) from HP here. It helps if you connect from the PC with the iPaq in it's cradle & Activesync running, as all the product info can be uploaded by HP. Be prepared to make several attempts before before making contact with someone who's actually seen an iPaq before & understands your question.