Ipad2 with Seagate Goflex satellite and Apple TV??

Swampdonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey.

I have a Seagate Goflex Satellite WIFI hard drive on the way in which i'm pretty clued up with, with regards to streaming video etc. to my ipad 2.

I am also aware that i am not able to connect to the internet whilst connected to the goflex wirelessly.

My question is.

For example. If i am connected to my Goflex satellite on my ipad 2 wirelessly watching a movie.

Am i able to then stream the movie to my TV via Apple TV (airplay)???

Any help or comments on experience with this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Don't know about the GoFlex but logically this isn't going to work. The reason you can't use the web and connect to GoFlex at same time is due to only being allowed on 1 WiFi network at a time. Therefore you can't connect to GoFlex on one network and ATV on a different one at the same time.

Thanks for your response.

I was kind of hoping someone wouldn't say that.

Maybe one day the goflex will get a firmware update to enable this function, however im not entirely sure, as this would probably require the ipad2 to have two seperate internal wireless cards.

I have all this video on my wireless hard drive and all i want to do is stream it wirelessley to my tv via my ipad2.

Yup. A Router system is needed somewhere along the way. Would work if the GoFlex allowed multiple clients though. Maybe that's an option. They just all need to be on the same network.

For what its worth, I have not been abole to get the GoFlex to work independently of the PC and stream without itunes on.

I have only been able to get ipad to see the files if they are added to itunes as a library and itunes is switched on. But for what its worth even more is that this DOES work for Apple TV. But like I say, in my experience it will not work without the PC on and itunes loaded up.

For me this ruined the reason why I got the Goflex and maybe there is something I am doing wrong but I have gone over the instructions to the letter as far as I can see and it simply does not work without itunes running.

Also, not sure what makes you think you cannot connect to internet while connect to goflex. Of course you can, its just a wireless device.

I don't have one tbh, but this device is for portability and when away from your home WiFi setup. I read that you connect into it via the WiFi in adhoc mode and then all you get to see is the device itself, which isn't providing a web connection. Forgive me if wrong.

It sounds like your using yours at home and so missing the whole point of the device?

Why would you spend so much on a portable drive with the limitations of WiFi when a hard wired option is cheaper and faster?

I don't have one tbh, but this device is for portability and when away from your home WiFi setup. I read that you connect into it via the WiFi in adhoc mode and then all you get to see is the device itself, which isn't providing a web connection. Forgive me if wrong.

It sounds like your using yours at home and so missing the whole point of the device?

Why would you spend so much on a portable drive with the limitations of WiFi when a hard wired option is cheaper and faster?

What I wanted to do was have the content on the drive and turn my PC off but they could be viewed on the other PC in my brothers room if he wanted to watch them. But it seems it does not want to work that way.

So how would I get this to work wirelessly away from home then? Say I am going on holiday next week and want to take Family Guy and music with me. It doesnt want to show up content without the PC on so I dont see how it works.

When i say you cannot connect to the internet whilst connected to the drive. I mean simultaneously.

To connect to the device on an ipad for example

open settings
WIFI
connect to "seagate drive" (straight away you have disconnected from your network & web)
then browse the drive via the app or through safari
however it will take all of 20 seconds to connect back to your network and get the web back providing your at home.

The same applies for other devices.

You have to disconnect from your WIFI in order to connect to the GoFlex's self made network.

OH hang on its not the goflex satellite I have but the goflex home. Not sure if this makes any difference? IIRC it said on the box it worked as an itunes server, but the reality is a little different.

This definitely a great device for expanding ipad/iphone storage on the move.

500Gb of video or other files.
connect straight to the drive without the need of a router
And you IOS device just expanded by 500GB

Downside is

Most of your video files are .AVI right? Well the IOS doesnt support this format. And we dont want to be converting Tb's of AVI's into MPEG 4 do we?

Download OHDPlayer from the app store "recommended by seagate" or similar web interfaced media player.

connect to the drive through safari and OHDPlayer will play them that way.

Swampdonkey said:
When i say you cannot connect to the internet whilst connected to the drive. I mean simultaneously.

To connect to the device on an ipad for example

open settings
WIFI
connect to "seagate drive" (straight away you have disconnected from your network & web)
then browse the drive via the app or through safari
however it will take all of 20 seconds to connect back to your network and get the web back providing your at home.

The same applies for other devices.

You have to disconnect from your WIFI in order to connect to the GoFlex's self made network.

Exactly, you can't use the Internet while connected to the drive! That's what I said and you questioned that fact as untrue. I know it is quick to swap networks but then that isn't simultaneous however you dress it up.

poppitypop said:
OH hang on its not the goflex satellite I have but the goflex home. Not sure if this makes any difference? IIRC it said on the box it worked as an itunes server, but the reality is a little different.

Totally different kit then. It does have an iTunes Server but it's the older FireFly type thing that works ok but not great. It's only for Audio btw, so no way Video can be done in this way.

Would you adam and eve it. I decided to look at it again and it is working with pc switched off.

Well it is sort of working. Music plays fine. Videos are not working. The iphone app detects the videos, correct titles, and when I go to play them it detects even the correct length etc. But they do not play. No error messages, just black screen around title bar and movie length and the play button is either flicking between pause and play with a black screen or it is staying on play. This is with normal videos and videos bought via itunes.

This is with the goflex home app. Can anyone advise? And I am sorry if I hijacked this thread but hopefully this will help all.

Exactly, you can't use the Internet while connected to the drive! That's what I said and you questioned that fact as untrue. I know it is quick to swap networks but then that isn't simultaneous however you dress it up.

Actually I think it was me who questioned it. :suicide:

Totally different kit then. It does have an iTunes Server but it's the older FireFly type thing that works ok but not great. It's only for Audio btw, so no way Video can be done in this way.

If videos do not work then seagate should not be advertising it as working and provide an app which shows video support. Im pretty sure they are supposed to work now as the drives had an update.

Just an update. It is playing videos but will not play itunes protected video purchases. Oh well.

Last edited:
It's doing as it should then. Glad you got it sorted fella!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom