iPad Zagg Invisible Shield

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by Theydon Bois, Jul 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Anyone using the combination of a Zagg Invisible Shield and an official iPad case? I have an Apple case, and recently got a screen protector for my iPhone and have now made myself paranoid about my iPad.

The Zaggs get such a good writeup and have crazy damage prevention skills, combined with the possibility of up to 50% discount and low postage make it a no brainer:

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Apple iPad (Wi-Fi Only) Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

So, has anyone got a full body Zagg and use it inside an Apple offical case?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Bennybeanbag

Bennybeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Yep I've got the full Zagg (easy fit option) and an Apple case. It wasn't on purpose though, I wanted the Apple case but couldn't find one anywhere. Zagg were doing a Memorial Day offer so I decided to go for it. It took a week or two to arrive and I fitted it. By chance a couple of days later I was in Bluewater and the Apple store had loads of cases so I bought one not knowing if I would take the Zagg off or not.

I slipped my iPad in the Apple case with the Zagg still on and it fitted no problem so I left it as it was. Now if I ever do want to take it out of the case for whatever reason I don't have to worry. The screen protection is great, I can wipe finger marks off with a damp cloth, which by the way brings the Apple case up like new. Plain water and a rub with a towel :thumbsup:

3. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Cheers for that, after getting my recon iPhone I have become ultra paranoid about the screen for some reason, and have in in an Incipio plus the screen protector and it looks great with no obvious signs of a screen protector at all.

With the excellent discount codes currently being given, (I got a 40%) it means I can get a full body version for around 17 quid and then if I fancied using my iPad to chop carrots on or store nails, I can. :devil:

4. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    My Zagg Ipad Full Body has just turned up, so I'll let you know once I've applied it and stuck it back in the case.

I'm almost tempted not to put it back in the case once the Zagg is on..... :eek:

5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    I bloody hope it does work, I ordered mine the other night with a 40% code :rotfl:

6. calvinf

calvinf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can confirm the same - I have the full Invisible Shield (front, back and sides) and it fits fine. To be honest though, after moving from a Griffin Elan Passport to the official case, I haven't taken it out - it went in no problem, but def grips when you try to remove from the case.

BTW, not sure how much they cost on the Zagg site after discount, but I used 7dayshop and they about £18 delivered from there.

7. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I did mine last night it's all fine, but one piece of advice I'd give you is to leave the iPad out of the case overnight once you put the Zagg on, as sliding it in the case can force the rear cover to roll up.

I know because I was so pleased with my Zagg install, I put it in my case-only to find out the hard way that it rolls. :blush:

Other than that, all good. :thumbsup:

8. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Ok, I put a Zagg on my iPad last night and thought I'd share my experience here.

It came with another variation of the "liquid" bottle, this was a tall and very thin bottle with a plastic wrapper on it (so I couldn't see how much liquid was in it).

I did the rear first which went "ok", then I came to do the front and realised I was pretty much out of the application spray. :eek:

I muttered a few obsceneties and then began to wonder if I had anything that would do the trick.

I had a smell of the bottle (SWMBO was looking at me with a slightly worried expression on her face at this point!) and thought that I recognised it.

Off I trotted to the cupboard under the sink and retrieved my trusty bottle of.....

[​IMG]

Yep, that's right-Window Cleaner! :D

So, I set about spraying a little to the front of the iPad and the sticky side of the Zagg.

It went on much more easily due to the extra liquid and I slid it into place quite easily and another thing that was noticeable was just how easy it was to then slide the air bubbles out using the supplied squeegee. :thumbsup:

Anyway, once I'd finished pushing ou tthe bubbles I set about leaving it for the night, but I did notice what I can only describe as "prisming" under the Zagg, but thought I would just leave it until the morning.

I came down this morning and checked it and to my delight the "prisming" had vanished and the screen was looking brilliant! :clap:

I moved out a few more bubbles and I'm now really happy with the end result.

Here's a couple of pictures I've just taken with my i4 ('scuse my crappy photography "skillz"!):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm really pleased and I hope that helps someone else.

9. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Doh! Thanks for the advice! :smashin:

10. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    My box has come, should be doing it tonight....:smashin:

11. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I wouldn't have used a chemical like that. Just clean water with a spot of baby bath or washing up liquid. It's what signmakers use when applying vinyl to glass (window frosting) to stop bubbles, although some professionals do it dry.

Leave it to dry 24 hours and it is bubble free.

12. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Whatever works for you. :smashin:

13. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Merged threads.

Just finished my install of the Zagg. Jesus bloody christ that was hard! :eek:

I started with the back, and used half the bottle of stuff on it and ended up with quite frankly, a mess with loads of bubbles and it slightly off to one side. :(

So I started on the front. Finished off the bottle and although the shield was on right, it was a horrible horrible mess of bubbles, thousands of tiny little ones and that was after I squeezed out some of the bigger ones.

To say I was ****** was an understatement. :mad:

14. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    I then used some window cleaner like Azzin above, and tested it on the back of the iPad. It worked fantastically, and with plenty of liquid, it allowed the screen to move around more on the back, and I laid it perfectly. Until I noticed a tiny greenfly thing that had managed to ruin my perfect implementation! :eek:

I pealed it back off, squirted the fly and scraped it off with the scraper tingy, then relaid it. Far better, some bubbles that could be managed out, and an excess of liquid that I diligently squeezed out.

Back done! :smashin:

The front I started again and did the same thing, although more carefully with the cleaner. I then reapplied the front and without much effort it already looked a hundred times better. I still have some of the bubbles the same as Azzin has (check his top picture and the top right hand corner of the iPad) and the button looks like Azzins as well, but the screen is more or less clear compared with thousands of tiny pinpricks that I had previously.....*shudder*

My iPad is off and in the drawer, and we will see how it is tomorrow.

15. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Good stuff, might be worth taking a few pictures so we can see a "before and after"..... :thumbsup:

[Edit]-You have left it "naked" and out of it's case haven't you?? :eek:

16. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    I should have taken some of the mess it was to start with, but thats gone now thankfully, and I can pretend it never happened. :D

And my after pics, look remarkably like yours, I will grab some shots though.

And, yes, naked sitting on top of my Apple case and sitting in my DVD drawer.

17. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    The zagg does give the screen that rather "orange peel" appearance as seen in the pics, are you all happy with the appearance.

18. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Some really poor pictures - I really need to get a new camera :blush:

This was before I wiped it all down again and got things looking nice and clean. All the finger prints from moving the shield about and using my rubber squeegy!

[​IMG]

Had another go at smoothing things over, small bubbles on the screen that I smoothed them all into a line just before getting rid of them.

[​IMG]

19. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
  20. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    I will let you know tonight when I get in from work - its still off and in my drawer. Woke up by the window cleaner so a mad dash to work this morning.

I got that line of bubbles out nicely as well as cleaning it up to a near mirror finish.

For people getting these, some tips that are either my opinions or confirmation of Azzins posts above:

:lesson: Take your time, it will take an hour or more of uninteruptable time. Also, dont try and watch tv (like I did) you will stick things together as you are distracted.

:lesson: Use plenty of the liquid, and if you run out, then window cleaner* or as Fozziebear suggests "Just clean water with a spot of baby bath or washing up liquid". It makes things far more easy to manipulate.

:lesson: Leave it out of any case for a few hours, then go back and work at the bubbles again. Dont force anything, gentle pressure and manipulate the bubbles in the way they want to go - rock it left and right as some just dont want to go forwards.

More info after I turn it all back on again tonnight....

* I will let you know if this worked for me when I turn it on! :eek:

21. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    "I then used some window cleaner"... you have a window cleaner thing going on today :rotfl:

22. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Oh, and I really dont like the way the button is done. I threw away the little concentric ring inside as it wanted to be detached and is very hard to line up. :(

Plus, they have lifetime warranties, what about if you have botched an installation?

23. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Hahaha! Yes, you have caught me out, before I left, I milked the window cleaner to help put the invisible shield on my iPad. :D

24. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Well iPad on, and all very good. :smashin:

I do have two little dirt flecks on the screen, but pretty much everywhere else apart from the button is spot on. It also does have the orange peel effect as mentioned.

But you know what? Its not for me. I use my iPad for Comics, and that little flick for every page turn has resistance - its not a shiny surface like the Incipico Feather shield that came with my case and it just does not feel right.

I will leave it on for a while just to test it, but I think its going to come off (well the front at least.) :(

25. Baz1205

Baz1205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had mine on for a few weeks virtually since the day I got my iPad. It wasn't a perfect installation and I was getting annoyed with an imperfection almost dead centre of the screen. A couple of days ago I decided to remove it and I can't believe the difference it has made to the iPad's usability. The resistance with the Zagg on is sufficient to mean that occasionally extra pressure is needed to scroll the screen. Not much granted but I had noticed many times when a swipe of the screen wasn't recognised 100%. Now with the screen naked again scrolling requires much less effort and is once again perfectly smooth. A pity as I like the Zagg a lot but the orange peel effect and extra resistance means I doubt I'll put a Zagg back on.

26. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Yep, used the Zagg for a good hour of comic reading and browsing the forums and then it was off. The 'dirty' feel and slight resistance just did not suit my girly tender hands so off it came.

I left the back on even though I put it back into the case as the resistance gives it a slight grip should I remove it from it's apple case.

I will be checking if Incipico do an iPad shield as the one on my phone offers no resistance and has no orange peel effect.

27. Flatcoat

Flatcoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I botched the installation of the easy fit Zagg - it touched itself when peeling it from the backing and ended up with a lot of creases. I contacted Zagg and they sent me a replacement - I had to pay for postage and send the original back. They said that normally the repacement guarantee does not apply to botched installations but would make an exception.

28. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Theydon would be interested in how you get on with alternatives as don't really like the orange peal effect of the zagg

29. Beta_Tester

Beta_Tester
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Not received my Ipad yet but hopefully early next week.

I already have the case... But i'm toying with the idea of a screen protector too, as I have one on my Iphone.

Any advice on which one to buy? Or would you recommend I leave it 'naked' screen wise as it's in the official apple case?

TIA

30. aphillippe

aphillippe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't know about the iPad version but I've got an invisible shield on my iPhone. After some serious usage, the extra resistance does decrease a bit (almost like the vinyl is smoothing over/wearing down a bit). It's not quite down to glass, but it's definitely better than when it was new.

Having said that, I'm not putting one in my iPad. The iPhone gets chucked around in my pockets with coins etc with no case and I couldn't stand any scratches in the screen. The reduced tactility of the screen is an acceptable trade off. My iPad is handled with more care than my children were and the tactility of the big screen is much more fundamental to the experience. The plastic protector that came with my icipio feather will do for now. Feels much better.

Sorry Zagg, you aint getting my money this time!