iPad won't use wifi extender when all other Apple devices do!

427ELL

Novice Member
We need a wifi extender for part of the house. My MacBook and our iPhones work very well on it - but not our iPads. Does anyone know why and a solution?

neilball

Is it a dual-band extender that covers both the 2.4 & 5GHz bands?

Do you have a common SSID for these ie only “see” one SSID when scanning for wifi?

Can you temporarily split the wifi into separate 2.4 & 5GHz modes (or switch off 5GHz) to see if your iPad connects ok then?

Is it only connecting via the extender that is the issue or is it a problem with the wifi from your router too?

If you can break down the system then try testing one item at a time it might help isolate the particular problems.

427ELL

Novice Member
Yes, dual band
yes, common SSID
no, can’t switch off one channel
fine on router

what puzzles me is why Apple apparently use different software on the iPad than on MacBooks and iPhones.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
what puzzles me is why Apple apparently use different software on the iPad than on MacBooks and iPhones
What do you mean by “different software”?
MacBooks use Mac OS and iPads/iPhones use iOS (and iPadOS now).

427ELL

Novice Member
What do you mean by “different software”?
MacBooks use Mac OS and iPads/iPhones use iOS (and iPadOS now).
I don't mean different operating systems! Clearly, the specific software for connecting to wifi is different (faulty) otherwise they'd all behave the same way

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You have a problem obviously but It isn't “faulty” in general with all iOS devices and the software is different due to having to use different hardware no doubt.