Ipad vs tablet for controlling hifi

PJHunter

Standard Member
Reaction score
I didn't know which forum section to ask this question so apologies for it being here...

... what do you use to control your streaming music an ipad or a tablet?

This week i've bought Bluesound's Node 2 and have been introduced to the world of music streaming and controlling your hifi through ipad/tablet using NAS drives as well. But do i go out and buy an ipad or do i buy an android tablet? Does it make any difference to sound quality? I'm guessing not as you'd only be using it as a remote rather than a source for your music.

In one store they said a tablet wouldn't be appropriate as the OS swallows up the HD and so when using the ap as a control it'd end up being very slow and so suggested an ipad (which was cheaper). But I'm thinking, how bad/inappropriate could a tablet be when people can use their phones as a remote.

Basically what I want to do is buy a tablet or ipad that I can dedicate to the hifi for people to use when listening to music. That way all other pc's in the house are for work not play. If you do use an ipad or a tablet, what spec do you use so I can know what to look out for when shopping.

thank you!

The Smart Device App is simply a control device like a remote control. So, what you are saying, in effect is, will this Remote Control sound better than that Remote Control, and of course the answer is neither will have any effect on the sound quality.

Also keep in mind that you can also use a Smart Phone. Whether you go with Apple or Android will depend on your preference and the other devices you have in your home. And don't just look at the Pad/Tablet as a Remote Control, it is still a full functional computing device. So get the one that does the best job of general computing and Internet Surfing.

Again, the Smart Device is simply a control device. Once the stream starts, you can actually turn the Pad/Tablet off and the Stream will continue, or once the stream starts, you can continue surfing the web with the device.

So, because no sound actually plays from the Smart Device, it doesn't effect the sound quality.

Steve/bluewizard

If you're committed to Bluesound then your choice will depend on which platform their app works best. Just because an app is available on multiple platforms doesn't necessarily mean it works equally well on all of them. One platform may even get developed ahead of others. It may even be the case that a generic third party app is better than the manufacturer's own effort.

I would suggest starting a new thread in the Streamers Forum specifically asking the question of Bluesound owners, as only they will know.

Edit
Bluesound have their own forums with dedicated sections for each platform. So probably better going straight there as the numbers will be greater.

Last edited:
Edit
Bluesound have their own forums with dedicated sections for each platform. So probably better going straight there as the numbers will be greater.

Thanks for this! Will have a look there... it didn't even cross my mind that they'd have their own forum so your help is really appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom