• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPad video advice

louisg

Hi looking to buy a iPad in new year, I have lots of .mkv's 720p films on my iMac, what's best software to reduce size of films but not lose quality. There roughly 4gig each film.
Thanks Louis

celsius

You could consider streaming.
There are many ways, one of which is Zumocast.
In that case you do not have to convert or tranfer to ipad.
Or you could transfer to ipad as it is (no conversion) and then delete it after you have finished watching.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

Size isn't the problem, a 4G 720p MKV will probably have a very high bitrate as well.

Just put it through handbrake.

louisg

Don't want to stream and the size is a issue if I go for 16gig iPad. At 4 gig I'd barely get 3 films on there with music and photos. Want a iPad for travelling, to watch movies on plane, in hotel etc.

D

Deleted member 27989

As I said put them through handbrake, use a specific iPad profile and you'd be fine. Or buy a bigger iPad ;-)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Does anyone yet have an ideal profile for Handbrake for use with the iPad?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom