Quantcast

Ipad use abroad

sansson

Standard Member
I will be taking my Ipad 3g to South Africa. Very concerned about uninvited downloads and updates being sent at roaming rates as I have heard of some folks getting enormous bills on their return from holiday. What should I do? Simply remove the sim card till I get home or is it possible to buy a sim card that operates locally in South Africa?
Help!!!:(

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Obviously , do not use your own sim card , take that out before you arrive , and buy one locally while you are there , here are the details ,

Sim Card, Cell Phone ? Mobile Technology South Africa

I spent a lot of time travelling last year , I was able to pick up sim cards locally in Phoenix Arizona , Portland Oregon , Capetown , Tel Aviv , Seoul , Paris , and Kuala Lumpur. All worked fine , though some did have to be cut , which is quite simple to do.

Last edited:

poppitypop

Novice Member
The safest bet would be to remove the sim card then it only has the opportunity to connect via wifi. Then when you get there try and find a sim there or just use wifi. Take the sim with you though and keep it in a safe place as you might want to use it at the outgoing airport?