Ipad tv cables

bigjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needing to connect iPad to tv and have the option of hdmi adapter or component cables.

Anyone got any experience of either cable and was it hassle free.

Is it iPad 2? I have hdmi cable which is great. Especially showing HD home movies! Although I wish I had gone with apple tv mirroring option. Much more freedom without cable which if I remember the cable cost £35. AV cables are a pain to put in the back of the TV as there are 5 of them. Also not HD. Hope that helps.

It's an ipad1.Assuming the video app uses the video output.

Reckon the hdmi would be the best option.

Thanks for your info.

Last edited:
zygon8 said:
AV cables are a pain to put in the back of the TV as there are 5 of them. Also not HD. Hope that helps.

These "AV" cables you're referring to are component, 3 for video and 2 for audio.
There isn't much "pain" involved as they and the sockets on the Tv are colour coded.

You obviously have good access to the back of your TV!

you could get an apple TV and do it all wirelessly, the apple TV would use a HDMI! and it is brilliant!

Do these cables transmit anything from the apps? So if I wanted to use a cable to watch any of the TV catch up services would it work? Or is there some sort of encoding stopping that from happening? I'm including Sky Go in this. Cheers.

Depends on the app. Some like the built in Video and Youtube apps will play full screen. Others like 4OD will only play in a smaller window whilst Sky Go is totally blocked on HDMI out.

Does the ipad 2 output 1080p via HDMI? If so, does anyone have any experience using it with a 1080p plasma. When I connected my laptop to my Pioneer 1080p plasma, the picture looked awful. TBH, I'm waiting for the Ipad 3, but would be interested in using it on my 50" plasma if it were worth it. Cheers in advance. Apologise if this has been covered but haven't been on this for 3 years now!

davidames100 said:
Do these cables transmit anything from the apps? So if I wanted to use a cable to watch any of the TV catch up services would it work? Or is there some sort of encoding stopping that from happening? I'm including Sky Go in this. Cheers.

I've got the Apple digital Av adapter on the iPad 1 connect to a HDMI. iTunes videos and BBC iPlayer App work great, but Sky Go not supported. NotSure if the Component or Composite are Sky Go compatible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom