Ipad sound not coming out of dock sound socket

djc45

Hi,
I have the apple dock for ipad 1 connected to my plasma screen using the vga adapter and a 3.5mm audio jack cable from the dock to the pc audio input on the tv.
When I dock the ipad and use the Netflix app, I get the video on the screen of the tv, but the sound still comes from the ipad speaker, despite there being an audio cable plugged into the dock's audio output.
If I move the audio cable from the dock to the ipad headphone socket, the sound comes through the tv, which is what I want.
I assumed that if the ipad was docked the sound would automatically come out of the dock socket. Are there any other settings I need to change on the ipad? Or is something faulty?
Any ideas?

iNspectorgadJet

If you play music or video using the ipod or videos app does the sound come out of the dock's audio output? If you get sound on those apps it probably means that the app is the issue.
I'm sure I've seen something somewhere that shows the volume slider changing to dock connector in the ipod app when you plug it in.

djc45

I just tried the ipod app on the ipad. When I play an audio file it still plays through the ipad speaker.
When I play a music video, it identifies the tv as being there and switches the video to the tv, but the sound still comes out of the ipad speaker. It's as if the dock is not recognising that the jack plug is plugged into it.
I have checked the cable by moving the jack plug from the dock to the ipad's top headphone socket, then the audio comes out the tv fine.

iNspectorgadJet

What happens if you plug earphones into the dock? Or have you got an amp you can test with? From what I've read the dock should detect that you've plugged a cable in and route all sound at max volume so you control volume at the amp/tv.

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

djc45

Seems to be a problem with having the VGA adapter plugged in at the same time as the line out jack. As soon as I unplug the vga adapter the sound goes out through the line out to the tv, and it switches back to the ipad speaker as soon as I plug the vga adapter.
I guess that's the way Apple have designed it, which does seem a little odd that you can't get the picture and audio out of the dock at the same time.

gkpm

Novice Member
That's only an issue with the VGA cable, the component or composite ones, or even the new HDMI do send picture and audio.

iNspectorgadJet

Well that's a bummer. I would be pretty annoyed haven to have the extra cable plugged in. Would ruin the whole nice look of my av setup.
Maybe you can take the dock back to Apple and complain about the audio not working when VGA is plugged in and see if they can give you an hdmi or component cable to make up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom