• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPad purchasing advice

Alasdair Mackay

Standard Member
I use a iPhone 4S 64gb. I am being persuaded to purchase an iPad, I have 2 main pc's which I work on during the day. What benifits will I gain by purchasing an iPad. This is not a trick question. My iPhone has the denon app which I find great for my denon equipment. I suppose it is more portable than a laptop or is it. All help and advice appreciated.

D

Deleted member 27989

Should really be in the iPad section I guess ;) But hey if you don't know what benefits/use you'll get from an iPad don't get one :) If you fancy getting a new toy then buy all means do...

localboy27

Prominent Member
iPads are great for using around the house and on the hop
I hardly use my PC these days it's just too handy to use the iPad

bransoj

Prominent Member
iPads are great for using around the house and on the hop
I hardly use my PC these days it's just too handy to use the iPad
Agree with this really. I'd wanted an iPad for ages but never really been able to justify buying one. I was fortunate to come into some money that meant i could buy one without needing to justify it and to be honest we use it loads. Laptop only really gets fired up now to do iTunes stuff and thats not that often. Its just a lot easier to grab and use it especially bearing in mind my laptop battery has had it so needs to be plugged in all the time.

I think one thing that does make it easier and better to use is the fact my new printer does Air Print again taking out the need for the laptop.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I would ask the question "what can't you do on an iPad that you regularly do on a computer"? Then ask "what could I do on my computer if only it was super portable, light enough for long usage and great battery life"?

You will then get a picture of how useful they are!

Once you have it you will soon realise even more stuff you will use t for that you don't do now as well...

poppitypop

Established Member
I would ask the question "what can't you do on an iPad that you regularly do on a computer"? Then ask "what could I do on my computer if only it was super portable, light enough for long usage and great battery life"?

You will then get a picture of how useful they are!

Once you have it you will soon realise even more stuff you will use t for that you don't do now as well...

I don't think there is much an ipad cannot do over a home computer, even flash is not a problem now.

To Alasdair, the question you ask is a very difficult one to answer because every person uses their ipad for different things and different reasons.

I've had all 3 releases of ipad since launch and only now this week have I started to use it to watch live TV whilst cleaning the kitchen. Its portability is very handy and one of the main selling points for most.

Also I have developed an addiction to hidden object adventure games. I never would have played them on PC even though my PC is more than capable of playing them. Most of my games though (the turn based online ones) I still play on the phone as I always have my phone with me.

I think ultimately it is a case of ... Do I want one? Can I afford one? If so, get one. After that you will find your own little uses for it in time.

thestig230

Prominent Member
I would just say, buy one!!

My missus wasn't happy when I decided to go and buy one; she said "the money would be better spent on the house" or "our daughters birhtday!!!"

Now that I have it I can't get a bloody shot cos she's on it constantly!!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
What's the general thought about iPad pricing once the MS offerings start to appear for sale? Do you think Apple might look at reducing prices a bit?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
What's the general thought about iPad pricing once the MS offerings start to appear for sale? Do you think Apple might look at reducing prices a bit?
Little or no chance.

The iPhone has lots of competition, and yet Apple have kept it about the same price for years.

D

Deleted member 27989

JohnG said:

I doubt it, unless it offers some serious competition but I can't recall ever seeing apple compete on price. If they would compete I think it would be on the whole of the experience opposed to price.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
The closest I have seen then compete on price is with the MB Air, and this isn't due to Apple pricing competitively but rather that the competition can't get their price down low enough on similar type kit.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Are there any thoughts about when the next version of the iPad might be out? I think I've finally persuaded myself that I need one, but hate it when I buy something and then the very next week a newer version comes out :D I don't have a problem if it's 2 or 3 months after I've bought one :)

D

Deleted member 27989

JohnG said:
Are there any thoughts about when the next version of the iPad might be out? I think I've finally persuaded myself that I need one, but hate it when I buy something and then the very next week a newer version comes out :D I don't have a problem if it's 2 or 3 months after I've bought one :)

I would guess march/April 2013

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I would guess march/April 2013

Excellent thanks. If that's the case then I can buy at the end of the month :) Don't worry, I won't hold you to it and blame you if they bring one out in October :laugh:

D

Deleted member 27989

JohnG said:
Excellent thanks. If that's the case then I can buy at the end of the month :) Don't worry, I won't hold you to it and blame you if they bring one out in October :laugh:

I'm so confident I'd almost offer to pay you back if they did bring out a new one in Octobers :) but note the almost ;)

guycoombs

Established Member
I wasnt sure about buying one. A friend told me Apple are excellent at returns if you arent happy with it. I believe the cooloff time is 2 weeks, or a month. I cant remember. Anyway, get one see what it does. If you dont get on with it, take it back and get a full refund.

Just for your info, my wasnt returned. Although I bought one for my mum, she didnt get on with it and I returned it with NO problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom