ipad problem , advise please

wilfy

I have a 32gb wifi ipad bought on launch day , over the last couple of weeks it has started to randomly re-boot , this does not seem to be confined to a particular action or use of an app , it happens at random intervals sometimes just simply whilst playing angry birds or using safari.
I followed the advice on apple.com, re-set & re-stored the ipad etc , within 10 minutes of doing this , the ipad re-booted twice. I then made an appointment at the genius bar at my nearest apple store (60 mile round trip).
The advisor at the apple store suggested they try a complete re-set and re-load of the firware and os etc , they said to try this for a few days and if I still had a problem to ring apple support and they would help me .
Within an hour of arriving home with the ipad , it re-booted again !!
so , as advised , I rang apple support, gave him all of the details above , they then arranged for a shipping box to be sent to me for me to return the ipad , and this is where it gets interesting. The advisor told me that they "only needed the ipad back to that they could check the damage indicators on it for evidence of water damage , as this is not covered by the warranty ".
The ipad was collected last Thursday , I have been checking the status daily , and nothing seemed to change until yesterday, the repair status became "unable to re-produce" fault , and the shipping status changed from "replacement product to be shipped " to "original product returned" .
I again telephone Apple support for an explaination , they cannot provide one, all they said is because the fault is intermittent and they could not re-produce it , they will not send a replacement , and then crucially " If I had bought apple support they would replace with a new ipad immediately" .
As this ipad is still covered by the intial 12 months warranty , surely they should have re-placed it anyway ?? I am now left with a faulty ipad and Apple seem to have said "tough" .
I have another ipad , a 64gb one that I use for work , I updated both ipads to OS 4.2 on the same day , my 64gb does not re-boot , so I do not think that this can be related to the new OS.
What should my next move be chaps ?? should I go back to the Apple store and calmly request a replacement ??:lease:

Theydon Bois

In your shoes, I would.

Dazo

Like the post above I would also take it back to a Apple shop. Pretty poor service from Apple and terrible they are trying to bribe you into buying extra support. :thumbsdow

wilfy

I have to say I have been quite surprised by Apple's response to me so far ,I have had good service from them in the past . I have had an issue with an ipod which was faulty, used the same process as I have just been through, and Apple replaced it straight away .
I will call the apple store today and see what they say , still a bit miffed that I will have to make a 60 mile round trip again though particularly in these current weather conditions .

norealplan

I've always been impressed with Apple customer service, but something here seems to have gone a bit awry along the way.

I'd definitely contact them, or just go into a store. I'd firmly, but calmly, ask to speak to the manager and take it up with them. I'm sure you'll post back in a few days that you've got it all sorted :smashin:

poppitypop

Your contract is with the store where you purchased it from, so maybe take it back to that store and get a replacement?

wilfy

I rang apple support again and very calmly explained this saga to them , they put me through to one of the senior support advisors who has assured me that they will now replace the ipad, they are sending a packing box so that i can return the old one again. I have the advisors email & direct phone number , hopefully this time this will be resolved .
I am hopefull this was a "blip" in Apples support response , i will post on here once I have any more news on this .

akki007

I can see why they sent it back though, if they cannot replicate the error then why would they replace it?

wilfy

Granted , as this fault is intermittent perhaps they could not replicate it , but within 10 minutes of receiving it back , it re- booted by itself !!
My stance is if there was no fault , why would I say that there was and go though the process of sending it back ?

Theydon Bois

I have a iMac with techs at the moment, and its done exactly the same thing - it rebooted once or twice, then started to not restart - it would shut down, and then not power on for ages - but was all intermitant.

Support have had it for three weeks, and although there are logs to show that it did shut dwon mid way through an app, it has not misbehaved once, and was returned to us this morning.

They thought it may be the PSU, but at £120+ cost for something that may not actually be the fault, my school did not want to pay out.

I know an iPad does not have a PSU, but just to say, that intermitant faults are the bane of a techies life.

Theydon Bois

Huzzah! :smashin:

Trending threads

Top Bottom