• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

iPad Pro UK V USA Pricing?

brad123

iPad Pro UK V USA Pricing?

If I could get 20% off a UK ipad pro would this make it cheaper then getting one from the USA end of the month?

Bit confused now what with sales tax etc and also could I get stung at customs?

Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You will get "stung by customs" if you're getting it shipped from the US.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You will certainly save money over the UK price but don't forget to add NY sales tax and if buying with a credit card these normally add a foreign transaction fee of around 2.5% so on average factor in 9-10% on top of the US shop prices.

I've bought many an Apple product in the Apple stores in Florida over the years and saved a packet but will now think twice about doing this in future with such high-value products.
I bought an iPad Air in the Apple store in the Florida mall in Sep 2014 and a couple of weeks later Apple brought out the Air 2...I wasn't too bothered about this and in fact suspected a newer/faster model would be on the cards soon as we all know they update the iPhones/iPads/MacBooks every year.
I've been happily using my Air for the past year but a few weeks ago noticed the home button was getting "stiff" and has lost it's "springy" action when pushed...I'm not heavy-handed by any means and just put it down to hardware failure of the button...my first hardware fault (in fact the first fault of any kind) of any of my Apple gear.
Knowing it's out of warranty by roughly 6 weeks but knowing Apple's reputation for service/customer care I made a reservation at the genius bar at the Apple store in Braehead, Glasgow for Wednesday of this week thinking I might get a free or reasonably cheap repair and duly turned up at the appointed time of 3pm.
The member of the Apple team dealing with me appeared and inspected it and agreed the button is indeed harder than normal to operate and took it through to the back of the store and said he'd be back in a few minutes.
He came back 5 mins later and asked me where I'd bought it...knowing they can tell from the serial number where and when it was bought from I truthfully told him it was bought in an Apple store in Orlando Florida...he then went on to explain that yes, the home button is faulty but as it's mounted on the rear of the screen it's not a repairable item.
He then went on to explain that if it had been bought in the UK he would have replaced the iPad with a brand new one as under UK/EU consumer law we're covered for up to 2 years.
I told him I thought the Apple guarantee was worldwide and he said it is...but since it was bought in the US that guarantee is only for 1 year...not the 2 years we in the UK/EU enjoy.
The bottom line is it can't be repaired and he said he can replace it...but at a cost of £249. [emoji35]

I told him me and my family own many iPhones/iPads/MacBooks and hoped as a good Apple customer he would maybe take pity on me and waive the price as a goodwill gesture but no, he wouldn't budge...I thought about asking to speak to a manager but didn't think it would change anything so didn't bother.
So yes, you will make a saving in the short term but be aware once the 1st year's up and if it develops a hardware fault it'll cost you.

Galaxygirl81

Looking at the UK vs USA prices and taking 20% off a 128gb UK model would make it only £10 more expensive than one from the USA,hardly worth doing to save £10 and losing a uk plug and a year warranty.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Just to add a bit of balance, I've had no trouble selling any of my US-bought Apple equipment, my previous 2 iPads and 2 MacBook Pro's (despite having a US keyboard) hold their value well. It helped that they were in pristine condition and were sold with their boxes.
The chargers aren't a problem, all Apple chargers are world-wide...the 3-pronged US end of the charger simply slides off and you slide on a UK end.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Tempted to pick one up on Japan when we're out there for Christmas. With the weak yen at the moment, the 32GB is basically £500 and the 128GB is a little over £600. That's before tax, but as a gaijin I'd claim that back anyway. I reckon I could sell my air 2 64GB + product red leather Smart Cover, plus I just sold my Apple Watch, and basically cost me nothing extra to get the 32GB plus Smart Cover and maybe pencil (not sure I want the apple keyboard cover, I can use an apple BT keyboard I have if I feel the need to do lots of typing)

Will it have a worldwide warranty?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Thanks. So if I buy I the uk I should have at least 2 years and could argue for more, but if bought abroad it'll only be 12 months? Can I register for AppleCare?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, 2 years if bought in the UK/EU but only warranted 12 months in the UK if bought abroad.
You can buy AppleCare when you get back to the UK.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Thanks. So if I buy I the uk I should have at least 2 years and could argue for more, but if bought abroad it'll only be 12 months? Can I register for AppleCare?

You can buy the applecare at the US store or wait until you get back to the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom