iPad Mini Retina

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by kah22, Feb 14, 2014.

1. kah22

kah22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For help I gave someone over the past few years I was given a new iPad Mini Retina (32g) and very nice and unexpected it was.

Anyway I have an issue with the volume it just isn’t there. Say you are watching a movie from Netflix if you were any distance from the machine you’d hardly hear what the actors are saying.

The volume on YouTube seems a bit better but again nothing to write home about. There is more volume coming from my Galaxy S4 when on loudspeaker than the iPad. I haven’t put any of my own music on yet as I’ve set up an appointment with an Apple genus’s for early next week. I want to discuss the sound issue with them. That’s why I’m here and I should say that with the exception of an old iPod this is my only piece of Apple equipment.

From what I’ve read online this seems a very common problem with the iPad Mini Retina and one that seems to be worldwide. On the Apple forums there seems to be a great kick up about it and Apple don’t seem to be addressing the issue.

If this a universal problem affecting ALL the iPad Mini Retina’s produced to date, or is it just a very bad batch that got out on Apple and they are in denial? Or is it just that you can't reasonably expect to get volume from such a small creature?

What should I actually be saying to the genesis at the store? What should I realistically expect from them? Have I got a lemon of a machine? I can’t very well ask the person who gave it to me to return it. I’m posting here rather than on the Apple forum because I recon you guys can be more objective that those on product specific forums

So any of you guys out there have the same problem with an iPad Mini Retina and if so what did you do and what was the result.

As always many thanks for your responses.

2. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Cant answer your question but do you think "Retina" is some special sort of display?

3. Todd1984

Todd1984
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @Boostrail Retina actually has a big difference when it comes to viewing content and movies. You will notice the smoother edges on fonts, pictures and color.

@kah22 Not sure why the sound is very quiet. You may need to check the settings sound and not just the buttons on the side of the iPad. iPad usually has pretty good sound. I would first take it to an apple store so they can look at it. If it is something on their end they will replace it.

4. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The Retina display is only a definition of a minimum resolution in dpi, most tablets today exceed that resolution. They also use the same LG IPS panels. "Retina" has no influence on colour, brightness or contrast .

See Retina Display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original iPad Mini surprisingly fid not meet this minimum resolution standard.

5. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not sure that going on about what Retina is or isn't has any relevance to the OP's question since he is discussing sound.

I would take it back and get them to check in an apple store. My mrs has a ipad mini and watches bbc iPlayer etc on it fine, so if you are having an issue best to get them to check it out, especially as it is under warranty.

I haven't read anything about sound issues for the ipad mini - it isn't amazing sound quality but it should be adequate. You can also look at a Bluetooth speaker but best to try them in a shop as some of these products built to tie in with iPads are junk.