• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ipad bigger than 10.1

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
I know theres an asus 12.1 tablet but thats to thick and heavy and expensive !

why dont they make i pad / tablet larger than 9.7 / 10.1 approx

and have edge to edge class etc

Get rid of the black bezel and make the screen bigger while maintaining the overall size the same !!

the home button can be moved / modified etc

or do we have to wait for Ipad 3/4/5/6/7 :p

Is it me or is eveyone happy with the size :facepalm:

jagr

Established Member
To me it's the perfect size.
It was mainly bought for a bed internet browser with holiday trips an added bonus.
If it was any bigger you may as well have a laptop.

scudder

Established Member
Where would you hold it if the screen was edge to edge? I like the size as it is.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I have to agree on this one for sure. Typically users will hold with one hand and tap with the other. If it was bigger then it would get continually less balanced as its grows in size. Can't see any worthwhile size increase being usable on that basis alone, irrespective of all of the other reasons.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
To me it's the perfect size.
It was mainly bought for a bed internet browser with holiday trips an added bonus.
If it was any bigger you may as well have a laptop.

The thing is you can still keep the actual size of the pad exactly the same but expand on the screen size !

The black bezel is 25mm thick ( 1 inch ) thick

they can and will go bigger In the future !

Just look at the rumours of the iphone 5

Who knows the home button may dissapear in future apple products !

Leading to bigger screens ! :smashin:

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
You can't compare holding a phone to a tablet, they're totally different. I've got an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 and the bezel on the iPad is about spot on as you need to be able to pinch the bezel with your thumbs while holding it. With a phone you cradle it in your hand in a totally different way.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Why have samsung amongst others gone 10.1 and kept the actual size the same as an ipad etc

All i want is the screen to be a little bit bigger while keeping the pad the same size !

It can be done while still keeping a bezel albeit a little slimmer .

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Samsung just did a slightly bigger screen to be officially bigger than the iPad. It's a PR thing as the Droid boys are all about the specs!

gkpm

Prominent Member
Samsung did 10.1" because Android uses the 16:10 ratio, so the screen is - by design - narrower than the iPad which uses a 4:3 ratio (same as a sheet of paper)

Making it bigger is the only way they could match the screen width. On the other hand it also makes them taller.

And yeah maybe a bit of what bpsmith said too :)

Why are you so desperate for a slightly bigger screen? It doesn't make much sense.

A nice big bezel is good to have because you tend to hold the iPad between your thumb and finger. You don't want the thumb to register as a touch control and it would be very hard to reject it in software (the iPad doesn't know it's your thumb there...)

Last edited:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I think they've got it just about right and I'm sure apple did plenty of research, but then you can't please everyone :)

You need a bezel to hold on to the pad without touching the screen and if they made it much bigger you'd lose the portability.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
I think they've got it just about right and I'm sure apple did plenty of research, but then you can't please everyone :)

You need a bezel to hold on to the pad without touching the screen and if they made it much bigger you'd lose the portability.

Hi what i want is a bigger ipad 10-12 inch with usb !

As this will stay in the home / bedroom .

Then i can get rid of one of my laptops !

But ill keep my existing ipad as you say its the right size /portability

Just wish they done diff size versions !

Hearing they maybe a 7 inch coming ?

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
If you search back through these forums you will see a member called Tempest who had the same kind of questions as you.....

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
If you search back through these forums you will see a member called Tempest who had the same kind of questions as you.....

Great ill have a look !

In the mean time looks like samsung may answered my wish !! :smashin:

shame its not an apple :(

Samsung is preparing to launch its own high resolution 11.6" tablet that will carry a 2560 x 1600 resolution screen.
Even though the tablet features a larger display than Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1, we’re told that the tablet is “barely larger” due to the fact the slate will have a thinner bezel with a whopping 2560 x 1600 resolution, 11.6-inch screen with a 16:10 aspect ratio.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
will have a thinner bezel with a whopping 2560 x 1600 resolution, 11.6-inch screen with a 16:10 aspect ratio.

...which will require a whopping CPU/GPU to do anything on.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
...which will require a whopping CPU/GPU to do anything on.

they'll use quad-core.

use less power and better battery usage ! :smashin:

as will the ipad 3 A6 cpu

Desmo

Distinguished Member
As usual with these type of things, it's not just down to the tech specs and more about the user experience. I've not seen anything that runs as slick as an iPad yet.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
As usual with these type of things, it's not just down to the tech specs and more about the user experience. I've not seen anything that runs as slick as an iPad yet.

Totally agree

but not used a pc type pad yet but would imagine it would be frustrating at times .

gkpm

Prominent Member
DELUCAS said:
they'll use quad-core.

use less power and better battery usage ! :smashin:

as will the ipad 3 A6 cpu

The original rumour - and must stress the whole thing is a rumour - said the CPU on the Samsung 11.6" tablet would be a dual core Exynos chip, just clocked faster than the one on the Galaxy S2.

The original report : http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/08/samsu...et-with-retina-resolution-tablet-in-february/

Also note that 11.6" at that resolution is 260 dpi, not quite "retina" level.

Last edited:

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
DELUCAS said:
Hearing they maybe a 7 inch coming ?

I doubt it very much as not long before he passed, Steve Jobs said they'll never do a 7" version as Apple feel the original iPad is exactly the right size (and I have to say I agree). I can't see Apple contradicting him, can you?

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
I say never say never !

regards apple products !

look at the kindle fire there flying off the shelves and thats 7 inch :eek:

Iknow customer / people who have bought them why ?

because women like the size and it fits nicely in there bags etc

There is a market for 7 inch approx and amazon etc are getting the market share :devil:

even if apple target as a book reader plus wi fi etc etc

there on to a winner !

just because steve has passed away does not seem a reason to let a money spinner pass by !

wheres theres demand .....

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Amazon.com today announced that Kindle devices remain the hottest products this holiday season ? for the third week in a row, Amazon's customers are purchasing well over 1 million Kindle devices per week. :eek:

poppitypop

Established Member
Why have samsung amongst others gone 10.1 and kept the actual size the same as an ipad etc

All i want is the screen to be a little bit bigger while keeping the pad the same size !

It can be done while still keeping a bezel albeit a little slimmer .

Even if the screen was a tincy bit bigger you would still complain that the screen needs to be bigger because people bothered by screen sizes are never happy and always want the next one to be bigger. Thats not a horrible criticism of you, thats just the way it is as I see it :)

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
The current 9.7" is the sweetspot I think, the 7-8" tablets are pointless to me, especially in widescreen formats. If they could fit an 11-12" retina display in the same physical dimensions then it would be cool I guess, but you need a non-touch border of some kind to make the thing usable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom