IPad as Mac Mini display

HD Elvis

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to sit a mac mini hooked up to a pair of B&W MM1's under my tv but not use the tv as the display all of the time. Instead I want to use an iPad 2 so I can sit on the sofa and wirelessly operate the mac mini and all the benefits of a mac on the ipad's display but then alternate to the iPad's own OS when I want to. Is this possible?

It's main use would be as a music server but with the added versatility of a full mac pc. Any advice?

SUMMONER said:
Give Logmein Ignition a try, it should do what you want to do pretty well.

There are also free VNC and TeamViewer clients, that may do the job.

Thanks, might have to see what the apple one day sale has to offer! :)

A second hand raised for Splashtop remote desktop. Unsure whether it has a Mac version though. Something to check. Its also a huge amount cheaper than Logmein Ignition.

I use iteleport. Doesn't need any special software running on the mac, works with the built-in screen sharing. Works well, and if you set your screen resolution to the same as the ipad it'll fit perfectly. I have mine set to 720p as its used as a HTPC, and it works well.

You can either drag your finger around to move the mouse, or there is also a touchscreen mode which means wherever you touch is directly 'clicked'

Well iPad 2 ordered online from the Apple Store. Refurbished but seems a good deal as still get the year warranty and a new outer casing.

Good luck Elvis and I really hope you enjoy your ipad. I do believe there are very few people who regret their purchase.

Any free apps that do remote desktop? I used to use "mocha" RDP- great app, no need to install a leggy background program but it suddenly decided to refuse to connect to my computer (probably because of my hatred of paid apps) :p

do any of those play sound through the iPad?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom