• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ipad and GPS

bobbytoad

Sorry to hijack the thread,

Does the NON 3g version have GPS or not? its really unclear of the apple website :confused:

GPS in the iphone loads of various applications within apps (Tomtom/navigation being most obvious) some apps look for your location to let you know say teh weather, or your nearest shop, or find your positio on google maps are the ones that come to mind on iPhone

In reality you can always type in your location details anyway.

I'm in teh same boat as you is it really worth teh extra £100 if its not included - my opinion, probably not, and people are having great success with mi-wi devices for £50 or less to provide internet on the move

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Any app that relies on location awareness is going to need GPS.

However, I would say that GPS is unlikely to be the main motivation of getting the 3G version. Having the ability to use it away from wifi hotspots is surely the deal maker?

I bought the 3G version purely because I want network coverage in as many places as possible, without the need for hotspots or mifi. GPS is certainly a nice feature though - and the videos i've seen of it in action in cars etc. look great.

Have you checked they have stock though - I thought there were shortages of the 3G's. Mine should be arriving on Monday, in the next batch from China.

Warnie

Any app that relies on location awareness is going to need GPS.

However, I would say that GPS is unlikely to be the main motivation of getting the 3G version. Having the ability to use it away from wifi hotspots is surely the deal maker?

I bought the 3G version purely because I want network coverage in as many places as possible, without the need for hotspots or mifi. GPS is certainly a nice feature though - and the videos i've seen of it in action in cars etc. look great.

Have you checked they have stock though - I thought there were shortages of the 3G's. Mine should be arriving on Monday, in the next batch from China.

the only one they don't have is the 32Gb 3g - I didn't want to spend the max on 64Gb 3G but as I will want it for at least 2 years without upgrading it makes sense to get the max storage - doesn't it?!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom