iPad Air 2 - iPadOS - Software Update Failed

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Up until iPadOS 14, my Air 2 hasn't had any issues with OS updates, but every version of 14 has failed to install.

It downloads the update and I can see it in the storage section whilst this step is happening (one of the suggested fixes is to delete it from here), but when it gets to the point where you normally confirm installing it, it displays an error message instead and when you check the storage, the update file is no longer there.

Software Update Failed
An error occurred downloading iPadOS 14.2
Close | Settings

I've got ample storage available, less than 20 GB used out of 128 GB, and other than Apple's own apps, which I don't use, I only have around 20 apps I've got from the store. I don't even use this device or these apps very much, so it's not like I'm clogging it up either. I've tried downloading the updates on different networks and get the same failed outcome. App updates are fine. Apple phones and an old iPad Mini have updated to iOS/iPadOS 14 when connected to the same network.

Has anyone on here had this issue with an iPad before and how did you resolve it?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Updated to 14.2 a few mins ago.

Took a while but no errors.

Typing this on an Ipad 2 Air. 6 (ish) years old and still going strong. Save for the battery only lasting 5-6 hours instead of 10.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Up until iPadOS 14, my Air 2 hasn't had any issues with OS updates, but every version of 14 has failed to install.

It downloads the update and I can see it in the storage section whilst this step is happening (one of the suggested fixes is to delete it from here), but when it gets to the point where you normally confirm installing it, it displays an error message instead and when you check the storage, the update file is no longer there.

I've got ample storage available, less than 20 GB used out of 128 GB, and other than Apple's own apps, which I don't use, I only have around 20 apps I've got from the store. I don't even use this device or these apps very much, so it's not like I'm clogging it up either. I've tried downloading the updates on different networks and get the same failed outcome. App updates are fine. Apple phones and an old iPad Mini have updated to iOS/iPadOS 14 when connected to the same network.

Has anyone on here had this issue with an iPad before and how did you resolve it?
Had the same issue last night with my 10.5 pro , no error message though , ended up just factory resetting it and updating , the resetting again ,then restore , it would not update in a restored state

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
It's weird, never had any issues with any of the v13 releases. This error has started since the first 14 release.

If I go the factory restore route and then try to update it, if this works, will I be able to restore my backup that would have been made on the last v13.x OS to the v14.x OS?

Wez68

Distinguished Member
It's weird, never had any issues with any of the v13 releases. This error has started since the first 14 release.

If I go the factory restore route and then try to update it, if this works, will I be able to restore my backup that would have been made on the last v13.x OS to the v14.x OS?
I,m not 100% sure mate , I just used my last iCloud backup

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I've tried all the other suggested fixes I've found online, so it looks like the device reset is the next thing to try, which I was hoping to avoid.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I'd forgotten about iTunes, as have never used it with my iPad. Will give that a go before the factory reset route.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I downloaded iTunes today and tried updating my iPad Air 2 using that. For a while after clicking update, there was seemingly no activity, but the update and check buttons were greyed out. Eventually, a progress bar appeared in iTunes and the iPad started to update, displaying just the usual progress bar on the screen. It then proceeded to complete the update and is now on 14.2.

Hopefully it will update over the air again following this one.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom