Ipad 3G?

Wull

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am looking at buying an Ipad, probably second hand. My problem is I'm completely clueless to what model I should be looking for.
All I want it for is browsing the net, and using it as an AV remote with something like Demo-pad. My OH said a camera may be handy as well?

The Ipad 16g is the cheapest option, but I am not sure what 3G would bring to the table, would this be worth the extra money?

Should I be looking at an Ipad 2?

iPad 2 has the cameras.
It depends if you are going to use it much away from wifi networks if your needing 3G or not, I tether to the iPhone on my wifi only iPad when at work.
Works well.

Just to clarify the above. The WiFi model only does WiFi, but the 3G model does WiFi as well as allow you to connect to the 3G data network used mainly by mobile phones.

If you have say, several family members with wifi only devices, eg. iPads iPod etc., & you'd like to give them 3G access, you can buy a mobile router into which you plug a preloaded data sim. It's very handy for holiday trips 😃

Right. The wifi only model has wifi only. It has no GPS chip to use for location services (like maps) but does use wifi triangulation for location services. This does work but in some areas may not be as reliable as GPS and quite possibly useless in rural areas.

3G models have wifi, GPS chip and a sim card slot to use mobile phone sims for data so you can browse where there is no wifi, use it abroad with cheap sims etc.

I would always recommend people go for the 3G ones if they can as they have everything just in case these things are needed in future. Earlier in the year my home broadband failed and I was internet-less for 2 weeks. Having the 3G model saved me as I was able to put in a sim card for O2 and get online while my broadband was fixed.
Also when I go abroad, like I am tomorrow, I buy a sim card on ebay for that country to use as data and get a flat rate internet for the duration of the holiday without worrying about finding wifi.

Don't get me wrong the wifi has its uses for some people but if you want all bases covered, the 3G one is best.

I would also like to add that if you can afford bigger size - bigger than 16gb then do so. Once you start downloading apps, adding music etc you may find that 16GB is not enough quite quickly.

..It has no GPS chip to use for location services (like maps) but does use wifi triangulation for location services. ..

I would always recommend people go for the 3G ones if they can as they have everything just in case these things are needed in future. ..
Also when I go abroad, like I am tomorrow, I buy a sim card on ebay for that country to use as data and get a flat rate internet for the duration of the holiday without worrying about finding wifi.

Don't get me wrong the wifi has its uses for some people but if you want all bases covered, the 3G one is best.

Agreed, if the extra cost can be met.

My wife's iPad is going to my sister next year when we get a replacement. My sister has no landline so 3G will be essential for her.

I much prefer all the functions in 1 package, but people differ in their viewpoints. My brother in law has just bought an iPad 2, but wifi only, as he'd rather use his existing tomtom gps in the car, & will have wifi at the hotels where he travels.

poppitypop said:
I buy a sim card on ebay for that country to use as data and get a flat rate internet for the duration of the holiday without worrying about finding wifi

Can you give me a link?
I have an iPad1 3G and bought a used unlocked Vodafone R201 3G mobile router to use abroad when Wi-Fi isn't available.
It would be used in The Netherlands and I would be wanting to load it with 3gb-5gB data.

Can you give me a link?
I have an iPad1 3G and bought a used unlocked Vodafone R201 3G mobile router to use abroad when Wi-Fi isn't available.
It would be used in The Netherlands and I would be wanting to load it with 3gb-5gB data.

The only one I actually use is a seller called PREPAIDSPAIN. But he only does spanish sim cards. Not sure about other countries but there are bound to be some.

Thanks all for the advice. I certainly have a better idea of what to go for now :smashin:

Hope you all have a great Christmas, cheers :thumbsup:

I just tether to my 4S as its cheaper than the £100 more for 3G on iPad and, more importantly, I absolutely cannot stand that horrible black bar you get on the 3G version of the iPad!!!

I know it's there for a reason, but it totally spoils the design for me!

bpsmith said:
I just tether to my 4S as its cheaper than the £100 more for 3G on iPad and, more importantly, I absolutely cannot stand that horrible black bar you get on the 3G version of the iPad!!!

I know it's there for a reason, but it totally spoils the design for me!

What black bar?

Errr...this one...

bfTYG.jpg

Not exactly missable...

Last edited by a moderator:
bpsmith said:
Errr...this one...

Not exactly missable...

I have the 3G 64gB iPad 1 and TBH it's never bothered me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

JayCee said:
I have the 3G 64gB iPad 1 and TBH it's never bothered me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I totally agree! If it doesn't bother you then that's all that matters. To me, it's just wrong and I notice it every time I see somebody using one without a case. Looks like a giant remote control.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom