• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPad 2 charge times and are all apple plugs the same help

Meridius

Hi all
I was woundering Does the iPads power plug have more power than the normal apple plugs, i ask because the iPads power plug says 10w USB power adaptor where's my iPhone one says iPod power adaptor. Are all apple plug chargers the same ? or do they need a better charger for the iPad over the iPhone.

I used my iPhone plug and got warm and took 2h to get from 50% to 80% bat charge is this normal how long does it take to charge a iPad

Cheers on any help or info

Last edited:

gkpm

Hi all
I was woundering Does the iPads power plug have more power than the normal apple plugs, i ask because the iPads power plug says 10w USB power adaptor where's my iPhone one says iPod power adaptor. Are all apple plug chargers the same ? or do they need a better charger for the iPad over the iPhone.

The iPad one sends more power so it can charge more quickly. The iPod/iPhone charger can only send out 5w so it takes roughly double the time to charge the iPad.

It takes about 4 hours to fully charge using it's 10W one, or about 8h the other ones.

Meridius

Cheers mate just tried the iPads power psu and it's charged nearly 8% in 30min much faster it also seems to get just as warm as the 5w version.

Q1 can u use the 10w psu on any apple product like my iPhone 3GS as that must of came with a 5w psu and if I can would mean my iPhone would charge twice as fast ? And would not damage either unit ?

Q2 would the older 5w psu chargrs damage the iPad 2 or could it damage the charger at all ? Or would it be ok just that it would take twice as long to charge.

Thanks

gkpm

Q1 can u use the 10w psu on any apple product like my iPhone 3GS as that must of came with a 5w psu and if I can would mean my iPhone would charge twice as fast ? And would not damage either unit ?

Q2 would the older 5w psu chargrs damage the iPad 2 or could it damage the charger at all ? Or would it be ok just that it would take twice as long to charge.

No problem for either. The iPhone doesn't pull more than its normal 5w even from the 10w supply so it charges at the same speed.

As for Q2 the iPad "knows" the supply is less powerful so it simply charges at a slower rate.

Bob

I just use the iPad charger for both the iPhone and iPad. The phone charger went back in the box a long while ago.

Meridius

cheers yep just sold my iphone charger to my mate for £10, lol and now using the ipad 2 charger for the ipad 2 and iphone 3gs.

are all new chargers 10w now as standard

gkpm

Meridius said:
are all new chargers 10w now as standard

Sadly no, unfortunately more power usually equals more expensive components so manufacturers tend to avoid that unless they need to. If it doesn't state 10w or 2 Amp then it probably isn't.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom