1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP7E video capture hell

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Popester, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone help???? I have a Sony IRP7E DV camcorder connected to my Mac G3Powerbook via Firewire. I have access to FCP2, iMovie and Premiere 6. All control the camera fine but I am totally unable to capture the video with any of them.Nothing starts and I get an error message. Does this ring a bell with anyone, can anyone suggest a problem?

Using OS9.2.1 and both plugged in to power.

:(

2. liy

liy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assume that your camcorder is Sony's new micro-mv format. If so, I am certain that none of the listed programs have drivers for this device. Pinnacle Studio Version 8 actually promised drivers a couple of months ago, but as of this date, has had only limited success on fulfilling that promise. Give it six to nine months!

LIY

3. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it is MicroMV and that would appear to be it then.....blast.....bug*er......there are PC drivers supplied with it but nothing for the Mac. That is just plain stupid. What annoys me more is that the guy told me that you could connect the two when I bought it. Do you reckon I can do it via the USB port or will that be the same?:(

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popester

Your problem is that the Sony IP series of camcorders transfer the native MPEG2 video over firewire/I-Link/1394, not DV video like the majority of devices. This means although it uses the same port, it needs special drivers and software to do this.

Once it is transferred to your mac there should be software to allow you to edit the video - which I assume is an MPEG2 file(??). In short the consumer MPEG2 market is still in it's infancy compared to DV-AVI format video, for which many programs exist (Video Studio, Premier, Final Cut..). You may be restricted to using the software (Movie Shaker??) which come with the camera.

5. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is clearly with the drivers. The Movieshaker disk that came with it is PC only.

I'm more than a little peeved now.