ip webcam recommendations

slippers9

Standard Member
I am after a webcam that I can use with my wireless router to stream images over my network and the internet to view when I am away from home.

There are lots of IP webcams out there from the expensive Cisco/Linksys to rather cheap Forscam ones on Amazon.

Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? I noticed most have a resolution of 640x480 with 15fps. If the resolution lowers to 320x240 they go to 30fps.

Thanks

amdavies

Novice Member
Unfortunately, it looks like they've stopped the offer but T-Mobile had their Pulse Mini Android phone available for £40. This runs Android 2.1, has built in WiFi and there is an app on the marketplace that can turn this into a IP webcam (so you'd just need a 5V power source to run it all the time).
With this in mind, it might be worth keeping an eye out just in case anything similar pops up as it's not something that immediately springs to mind when you think of hardware for an IP webcam (and other things too).

slippers9

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, I actually thought about a mobile phone before but didn`t know too much about them. I traded in my old iphone 3G when I got my 4, should have kept it and I could have used that.

Will keep a look out for cheap wifi android mobile phones, there is no urgency to buy it (3 months until he/she pops out)

eyepete

Novice Member
I am after a webcam that I can use with my wireless router to stream images over my network and the internet to view when I am away from home.

There are lots of IP webcams out there from the expensive Cisco/Linksys to rather cheap Forscam ones on Amazon.

Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? I noticed most have a resolution of 640x480 with 15fps. If the resolution lowers to 320x240 they go to 30fps.

Thanks
As you've already discovered there are loads of IP webcams out there and really it depends on the features and functionality that you want that dicates the cost, for the most part.

We've got a range of ip cams that have some features you won't find in most others. Of course you'll get more from our website but you can also read the customer reviews on Amazon and other sites too.

If there's some specific feature you're after or have any questions about IP cams let me know, happy to advise where I can.

Pete

jonnymorris

Novice Member
I've also been on the look out for a good IP webcam, today I was looking at the EasyN FS-613 on Amazon for £58, from the reviews it sounds pretty good and I'm just wondering how this type of cam would compare the iSight cams in my iMac and MacBook; the Mac iSight cams are not that great in low-light conditions, and tungsten indoor lighting can be a problem on faces when the natural daylight has gone.

Has anyone used a camera such as this one? Are they reliable and of decent quality? I would like to be able to access it via any web browser which I gather from Amazon reviews is possible, iPad access is a boon too as I just got one of those!

eyepete

Novice Member
I've also been on the look out for a good IP webcam, today I was looking at the EasyN FS-613 on Amazon for £58, from the reviews it sounds pretty good and I'm just wondering how this type of cam would compare the iSight cams in my iMac and MacBook; the Mac iSight cams are not that great in low-light conditions, and tungsten indoor lighting can be a problem on faces when the natural daylight has gone.

Has anyone used a camera such as this one? Are they reliable and of decent quality? I would like to be able to access it via any web browser which I gather from Amazon reviews is possible, iPad access is a boon too as I just got one of those!
Be careful as some cheap IP cams will need you to run activex (supported in Internet Explorer only) in order to view the streamed video....which if you have a Mac may be problematic.

Also check to see if you're going to get much (if any) support for it if you run into any problems.

Pete

slippers9

Standard Member
I ended up getting the Foscam FI8918W which looks the same, most of the earlier model foscam's were unbranded and sold under many guises, this looks like one of those.

The camera was quite easy to set up, the picture quality at night is amazing, but the colours in daytime is very disappointing but the picture quality even when I have awful upload speed is quite good.

It does require activex so I use IE to view.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom