IP controlled tv's

Brady

Standard Member
Hi,
Does anyone out there know of of any TV's that can be controlled via its ethernet port. Lots of TV's now have an ethernet port but it would seem its only for connecting to the internet, I want to controll the TV functions via its ethernet port so I dont have to have an IR emitter stuck on the front of it. Alternatively, does anyone know of any tv's with an IR socket on the back

Thank you

next010

Distinguished Member
Philips have something like this through their Jointspace SDK, you can see a wifi remote for the iPad/iPhone. Their forums would have more info if you prefer to code your own software.

XIII

Novice Member
The latest Samsungs with @internetTV do this with an iPhone app.

I've got the C650 and it is a bit handy if you can't find the remote :smashin:

Brady

Standard Member
Thanks Guys
Next010 do you use the application, do you know if there is a standby on/off, apparently this is the drawback with the Samsung app, there is no 'on' command, is that the case XIII

next010

Distinguished Member
Sorry I dont I sold my Philips recently so I'm no way to check it out, but you could try asking in the jointspace forums the developer should be able to tell you.

XIII

Novice Member
The Samsung iPhone app has all the functionality of the real remote (it really is quite comprehensive) and has the on/off button...

The only draw back is that you can turn the TV off... however, not back on again, you either have to use the remote or stand up ;)

edit:
That said, I don't know if this is just a software/firmware thing that may be fixed in the future, but at the moment, definitely no 'on' button...

this is likely due to the fact that the TV is not actually on the network with an IP address whilst in standby. Unlikely this will change and would probably need hardware revision.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom