IP Camera + 3G poor frame rate

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mackerelman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mackerelman

mackerelman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have a TP Link 4171G Wireless IP Cam. When I use the Windows software over the WLAN the frame rate is video quality (say 30fps). But when I view the camera on my Android using IP Cam Viewer of the same WLAN it's more like 15 FPS. What's worse, is when I use 3G the frame rate drops to around 1 FPS.

I'm not sure why there would be any difference to the phone over the WLAN versus the PC but any idea how to improve the frame rate over 3G? 1 FPS seems very poor, the fact that over WLAN the phones frame rate is half that of the PC says maybe the phone is throttling it somehow. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Any ideas?

2. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    3G Speed Vs. WiFi | eHow.com
    To improve over 3G -

You will need your user guide handy.(Appendix A)
    You will need to know your internet connection's Upload and Download speeds.
    You will need to consider Image size, Frame Rate, Quality, Audio on/off and as far as I can tell this is what Appendix A in the guide is for. Test various configs using methods described in guide first.

3. eyepete

eyepete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The other thing you have to bear in mind is that the CPU and memory on your mobile are no where near that of your computer, so you may find that in order for it to keep up with the live stream from your IP cam it has to drop certain frames. Same again will also apply depending on how the IP Cam Viewer is designed to handle a larger frame rate than it can handle at any given time.

Otherwise you end up with very delayed streaming if it has to constantly buffer data, so to get around this a combination or hardware and software may be playing a part here to drop every other frame (or similar) in order to keep the stream as close to real-time as possible.

Pete