Ip address failed

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dean7879, Dec 27, 2006.

1. dean7879

dean7879

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried connecting the ethernet wire from my xbox 360 to my pc. i get my internet connection from the router connected to the pc downstairs btw.

this message came up

''your console was unable to negotiate a lease with your DHCP server. make sure that addresses are available on your server.

this test verifies that your console has a valid ip address. if your console does not pass this test:

.confirm there are no other devices on your network with the same ip address
    .if you are using a router or a gateway, verify that it is configured to assign ip addresses to network devices(dhcp enabled)

it goes on,

any ideas?

2. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    I have this problem too. Everything was ok until the other day, but now cannot connect and the test fails on IP address. Any ideas?

3. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    i had a similar problem yesterday - normally i just turn on the 360 and i automatically sign in to live - yesterday it didn't.
    I got the same error message as above.
    What i did to sort it was first checked the network settings on the last tab in the dashboard.
    From that i could see that the ip address showing for the 360 was wrong - my router permanently assigns each item connected to my network a permanent ip address and the one showing for the 360 did not match this - it was completely different - this was what was causing the failed sign in.
    I checked my router settings were ok and that it was configured to automatically assign ip addresses. It was. So i turned the 360 off and on again and this time the ip address had gone back to the correct one.
    If that hadn't happened i would have simply entered the correct ip address manually.

Hope this is of some help

4. dailzo1972

dailzo1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im such a newbie with things like this, just got a xbox 360 for my sons xmas, connected my xbox360 to my PC with the ethernet cable supplied and ran the test network button, came up wired and then the ip address failed, any ideas, i really need a step by step complete idiots guide on this one, thx

5. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I think you would need to set up internet connection sharing to do it that way - i use the wireless adapter and a router so i'm not too sure.

Have a look at ShadowmanUk's guide at:

www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk

All the info you need should be in there.

Cheers

6. Howzatone

Howzatone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine just did this as well, and it was fine yesterday.

Is it a worldwide problem ATM?

7. jonesey68

jonesey68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    same here xmas pressie just tried it for 1st time, same message although glad its not just me!:D

8. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Any of you managed to sort this problem out yet?

9. 400bhp

400bhp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a similar problem and managed to sort it out today. I am a novice with wireless networking but I'll write down what I did as this may help someone here...

Had xbox live for 1 week or so and no problems with connection (apart from dropping out sometimes-usually when I was winning at backgammon:( )

It went down today, but I have just managed to reconnect. It seemed to work by entering the correct computers ip address in the dmz option on my router. I tried this option because I was messing around with my router a couple of days ago, as I run Azareus software (don't worry if you don't know what it is-it's not importan) and have a NAT problem (don't ask me what NAT is, I don't have a clue).

My friend told me I needed to make sure the dmz option on the router was set to "enable" and had the correct pc ip address

In order to see if the correct ip address was entered he told me to do the following on the pc:

go to start, type in "run" and hit enter

then type in "cmdipconfig /all"

this will give the ip address amongst other things (I guess the ip address of the pc but I doidn't want to ask questions I wasn't interested in).

go to internet explorer. Type in 10.0.0.2 (this is the ip address of my router which is a sweex wireless router-obviously different for different router)

Look on left hand side for "enable dmz". Type in new ip adress.

I have just reset the ip address to the correct one. I may have got lucky:)

10. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Not when your PC gets hacked!!

You have put your PC's address in the DMZ? If so, you realise its now outside of the NAT firewall don't you? Not protected at all.

I currently have my Xbox 360 in DMZ but that doesn't worry me at all though one thing I would recommend is static IP addresses if you're going to do it as IP addresses on a DHCP server can change unexpectedly. If they do, you could end up with your PC or laptop (if you have one) outside of the NAT firewall which is something you really don't want.
    I have my IP addresses set up like this:

Belkin Router 192.168.2.1
    PC 192.168.2.2
    Laptop 192.168.2.3
    Xbox 360 192.168.2.100

DMZ - 192.168.2.100

uTorrent (or Azureaus) Port (TCP and UDP) Port forwarded to 192.168.2.2

I did try uPnP, whilst it work flawlessly for P2P software it didn't for Xbox Live.