IOTAVX AVXP1 7 Channel POWER AMPLIFIER

MIKEVO

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Being a strong advocate of separate Power Amplifiers to supplement AV Receivers over the years, I thought I would try my Anthem MRX-1120 as a Processor only. (I Know I should have got the AVM60 :facepalm:).

I noticed the other day, someone on the AV Forums mentioned the IOTAVX AVXP1 had a discount code on the IOTA Website, meaning 7 Channels of real world power for about £900.

Admittedly, this is a very Large and Heavy Power Amp, but with a 1.3KVA Toroidal Transformer, 90,000uf of Capacitance and 7 individual Class A/B Amplifier Modules each with their own Heatsink, it’s hardly surprising.

It weighs over 30KG, has Single Ended RCA and Fully Balanced XLR Inputs, very solid, Gold Plated Binding Posts that accept 4mm Binding Posts or bare cable, a 12V Trigger input and Dimming Function, if you use the AVX1 7.1 Processor.

I reckon with a Thick Faceplate and Fancy Case, this Power Amp would weigh over 45KG (and probably cost 4 times the price). But I want performance over fancy looks.

I run Dali Phantom Ikon as my LCR, Dali Kompass In ceiling Atmos and Active Adam Artist6 for Side and Rear Surrounds.

My Subs are Dual XTZ 12.17 and they are superb.

Anyway, here's what I did:

After lots of sweat, lifting and connecting (My Son did this as I have hurt my back).

I re-ran ARC and fired up my system and was immediately aware that my system sounded like it had received a boost of adrenaline, especially with the LCR, voices seemed so natural and my son said “It sounds more crisp, the T’s at the end of words are clearer and everything seems more realistic".

The Atmos Channels had become more apparent and seemed to benefit from the extra power on tap. Placement of objects was more identifiable, even on the LCR.

We have watched 8 Movies in 3 days and I have listened to The Eagles "Farewell From Melbourne” Tour a couple of times and I am a very pleased with the sonic results on all material. All of which I am very familiar with and all seem improved.

Even the wife agreed! :rolleyes: The whole family is happy because of a new Power Amplifier.

Dynamics are improved. Overall, a very refined sound and lots of power available, even when pushing at high SPL.

At my listening position, in my 20Ft by 13 Ft AV Room, I was peaking out at 104.5db at -20db on the Volume Knob and there was loads of available headroom. (I was getting a headache).

Transient peaks appear limitless and the immediacy of volume change is quite shocking at times, without sounding aggressive.

Hopefully I shall get another soon as I would like to Bi-Amp the front 3 speakers, which I may change to XTZ M8 as I have room for a wider Soundstage.

Personally have had good results with Bi-Amping and I think the M8’s would really Rock with the AVXP1.

I think I may go Passive with my Side and Rear surrounds, as the switching off and on of the Actives during quiet scenes can be annoying at times, possibly XTZ S5 as they give the flexibility for 7.1 or Atmos.

With the price of the AVXP1 and its ability to deliver 7 Channels of High Quality, Real World Power, I don’t think there is anything on the Market Currently, that comes remotely close for the price.:thumbsup:

I am a very happy chap, apart from the fact I now have to buy a 75 inch QLED, if I am upgrading my front speakers.:thumbsdow

That last sentence sounds a nightmare. You poor thing!!!

Just to give you some idea of the size of the AVXP1.

I think I shall have to rethink the Racking arrangement if I decide to Bi-Amp XTZ M8 LCR with a second AVXP1 in my Atmos Setup.

Out of curiosity, I ran the AVXP1 in Stereo Mode into my Martin Logan ELS3 and they dip down to 1.5 Ohms, the AVXP1 didn’t seem phased by the most difficult of loads and didn’t get mildly warm. Great Current Drive into Low Impedances.

Didn't quite have the same levels of fine detail and overall punch of my Mark Levinson No331 stereo Power Amp (400wpc into 2 ohms), but then I would be looking at about 20 times the price for 7 channels.

IOTAAVXP1.jpg

Any idea how these compare to Emotiva XPA Gen 3 besides the obvious difference in power ?

Curiosity I guess + 7 channels in one box for £1050.

And I’m a serial kit swopper.

If it was me, and I needed 2 extra channels, I’d consider adding those to my XPA-5.

Fair comment dodge. I think because my system is currently out of whack it has me looking at bits more than usual.

I wouldn’t bother swapping that amp out. Not unless you had some absolute dire need to do so. And somehow, I don’t think you do. It’s higher spec’d than the iota for a start. I know were my money would go, no question.

Any idea how these compare to Emotiva XPA Gen 3 besides the obvious difference in power ?
I haven't heard the Emotiva, but it costs over twice the price over the Iota for 7 channels (without the 15% discount code I used).

I have owned several Parasound and ADA power amps and would say the Iota drives my speakers equally well and has far more power than I need in my home Cinema.

I like the simple topology of the Iota and I like the fact it has a Huge Power Transformer with a large Capacitor Bank for dynamics and it seems to deliver. According to Ian at Iota, the CE rating of the Iota required a small switch mode power supply to power the standby circuitry (less than half a watt in standby), but otherwise its just a beefy beast built to last.

I haven't heard the Emotiva, but it costs over twice the price over the Iota for 7 channels (without the 15% discount code I used).

I have owned several Parasound and ADA power amps and would say the Iota drives my speakers equally well and has far more power than I need in my home Cinema.

I like the simple topology of the Iota and I like the fact it has a Huge Power Transformer with a large Capacitor Bank for dynamics and it seems to deliver. According to Ian at Iota, the CE rating of the Iota required a small switch mode power supply to power the standby circuitry (less than half a watt in standby), but otherwise its just a beefy beast built to last.

Hi Mikevo,

I'm weighing up getting either the Emotiva XPA Gen 3 or IOTA AVXP1. How is your IOTA doing and what are you running through it? I would want to use it to run my base layer (x7 M6), and have my A3070 power my Atmos layer (x4 S2s). Plus I plan on adding a final pair of M6 with a 13 channel receiver upgrade next year. Ian recommends me the IOTA to run my entire base layer and says it will enhance my setup. I do not doubt that - and I can now hear my sound suffering quite a bit. But as I am running x7 M6 and plan on adding another pair next year, the Emotiva's power is tempting. But the IOTA has 7 channels, I can bi amp, and is over half the price cheaper than if I went with a 7 channel Emotiva...

I am not sure which power amp or what would make more sense for my needs.

Note, I realise I have been looking at a used Emotiva XPA DR3, not the regular XPA model.

Last edited:
Hi @fallinlight . I have to say, I am over the moon with the IOTA AVXP1 driving my M8 LCR and Atmos Channels. (I run active sides and rears).
Absolutely no problem driving the M8's at volume levels far louder than I can take.
I have an Anthem MRX1120 and when I connected the IOTA AVXP1, my son, friend and I all agreed the IOTA AVXP1 sounded better than the Power Amp in the Anthem, which really surprised me.
Very natural sound, more detail, loads of dynamic headroom, very controlled and built like a tank.
I have been running the IOTA AVXP1 for over 6 months and am also planning to Bi-Amp my front LCR M8's and using a second AVXP1.
I have got a new rack and shall rewire my system, hopefully over Christmas, but the IOTA AVXP1 is incredible value and hasn't missed a beat.
It takes 10 times the power to double the perceived volume, so I wouldn't bother too much about Power Ratings.

Hi @fallinlight . I have to say, I am over the moon with the IOTA AVXP1 driving my M8 LCR and Atmos Channels. (I run active sides and rears).
Absolutely no problem driving the M8's at volume levels far louder than I can take.
I have an Anthem MRX1120 and when I connected the IOTA AVXP1, my son, friend and I all agreed the IOTA AVXP1 sounded better than the Power Amp in the Anthem, which really surprised me.
Very natural sound, more detail, loads of dynamic headroom, very controlled and built like a tank.
I have been running the IOTA AVXP1 for over 6 months and am also planning to Bi-Amp my front LCR M8's and using a second AVXP1.
I have got a new rack and shall rewire my system, hopefully over Christmas, but the IOTA AVXP1 is incredible value and hasn't missed a beat.
It takes 10 times the power to double the perceived volume, so I wouldn't bother too much about Power Ratings.

@MIKEVO, that is so very helpful and reassuring. I was nudging towards purchasing it anyway. I think it will be the IOTA.

That's lovely, a second IOTA, very promising. I would have gone M8 Tower LCR but they're too large for my space. I miss running full towers all the way around, as with my past two systems, but am so chuffed with what I have achieved with my M6 all the way around. I have not yet even heard them to their potential, so I have a lot more fun and surprise left in store (I am always stunned listening to them as they currently are, mind).

Cheers @MIKEVO, yes, Ian sent me the review this morning.

Hi Fallinlight. I had an IOTA prior to the Emotiva.

The IOTA is a brilliant power amp, had absolutely no issues with it. I do believe however that the Emotiva has the slight edge. More power, easier to get to higher volumes without any strain.

If its a straight choice, I'd get another Emotiva. BUT you wont go wrong with the IOTA.

Hope this helps.

Kind thanks, @mb3195. Yes, that makes sense. Yes, it helps. I have to weigh in my upgrade to a 13 Ch AVR next year to accommodate front wides, too. And now that I can accomodate height speakers for Atmos well, and they work amazingly, too, I want to research the potential for having more than 4 Atmos speakers - is this possible? I would reckon that means spending donkeys on an AVR that can do that. So, the IOTA is attractive at it's price.

I have the original nakamichi AVP1 amps driving a LCR set of XTZ M8 and surrounds atmos etc , and drives them with ease, And apparently slight improvements that the newer Iota have over the older Nakamichi. You cannot go wrong for value and quality and reliability. Pretty much what we all desire from any av investment purchase !!

I'm going to be running two Nakamichi AVP1 in my cinema. Would recommend the newer IOTAs too!

The Atmos Channels had become more apparent and seemed to benefit from the extra power on tap. Placement of objects was more identifiable, even on the LCR.

Hoping this is part of the problem I currently have - adding my rear M6 height speakers, ruined the Atmos (5.1.2 sounds better/ however, 7.1.4 sounds better than 5.1.4) - and that adding the IOTA AVXP1 will resolve the sound. It sounds muddy, weak, and Atmos misplaced with the rears as well. Hopefully it is not only or all because of my room acoustics. As I really want to run a .4.

To clarify, I am currently running M6 all the way around in a 5.1.4/ 7.1.2.

I know they are paper specs, but I am confused. My Yamaha A3070 (is rated as: "Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) - 150 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)".

AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

And the AVXP1 is rated as,

"250W with 4ohm load, 2 Channels Driven 170W with 4ohm load, All Channels Driven 150W with 8ohm load, 2 Channels Driven 110W with 8ohm load, All Channels Driven".

Close to purchasing the IOTA. I am not very good with numbers and do not know how to read these ratings properly, and I know everyone recommends the IOTA and says how impressive and much of an improvement it has made to their sound, but does the A3070 not stack up close/ the same on paper? How should I be thinking about these ratings?

I plan to drive my base layer with the IOTA, and then I will run my heights (either x2 or x4 M6, depending on how things sound with the IOTA) with my A3070.

Last edited:
@fallinlight The Yamaha model before your 3070 has been bench tested here:

Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060 A/V Receiver Review Test Bench

You can see from the 7 channel driven rating that the power available to each speaker sags quite considerably when multiple speakers are being driven simultaneously.

The IOTA rating of all channels driven is 110 watts per channel into 8 ohms, whereas the Yamaha sags to 52 watts when driving 7 channels, and we can assume it will sag even more if driving 9 speakers (that is untested).

There is another theory that using external amplification can bring about additional sound improvements purely due to the electronics being in a separate chassis and being powered by their own separate power supply.

Thanks, @Rambles. That helps puts things into perspective for me.

Does anyone recommend the best place to buy this amp?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom