iOS6 No maps?

A1944

Edit: Just realised the error in the title.
Should read "iOS 6 No Streetview?"

I have just been reading that when iOS6 is released it will no longer include the Google Maps feature and will have some unknown Apple mapping feature. Does this mean that it will then be impossible to access Google Streetview, or is an alternative App to be made available?

Last edited:

MonkeyPrince

I heard that the map facility will be provided by tomtom, but that Google Maps will respond with its own stand alone app (probably to include Streetview imo)

DrD787

I am very much hoping Google will release a stand alone app. I have been using IOS6 since the first Beta and I really hate Apple's maps.

CaptnSpaulding

Same here just installed the beta yesterday and really don't like the new Maps app. Might be really nice in America and major cities but I noticed many incorrect road names, missing roads and the satellite view is rubbish as you can't zoom in much - not to mention no 3D view (iPhone 4) or street view. Very much doubt I'll use this and use a third party app.

DrD787

Same here just installed the beta yesterday and really don't like the new Maps app. Might be really nice in America and major cities but I noticed many incorrect road names, missing roads and the satellite view is rubbish as you can't zoom in much - not to mention no 3D view (iPhone 4) or street view. Very much doubt I'll use this and use a third party app.

Apart from inaccuracies what I hate are the thin lines for roads that are almost invisible lots of the time. Incredibly difficult to orientate oneself position wise with the GPS.
I have the 25K OS map for the whole of the UK on my phone and that is what I typically use when I want to really know where I am.

D

Deleted member 27989

I've been running it and using the Navigation feature in anger, in the iOS6 threat I've also included some photos of the detail available. We got to remember it is in Beta, it is now Beta 3, Beta 2 brought huge improvements in mapping data. I think it is rather fantastic, but then again I never ever used streetview on my iPhone before.

Whether there will be a separate app for that from Google...Well time will tell, and I don't think we'll know it for certain until iOS6 gets released to the general public in the fall...

williamus

Have to say that I'd really miss Streetview. I find it both useful and hugely entertaining, but that's just me.

I've got TT and a load of OS maps and I've never really liked the maps in Google Maps but I do use Streetview.

Presumably Google would have to develop a bespoke App because the desktop version won't work with iPhones (no Flash)?

There are a couple of Streetview Apps out there, both poor imitations of the Google version and I've no idea whether they'll continue to work with iOS6.

The free one is, IMHO, a truly unpleasant experience but it does work, after a fashion:

iFindView - Connect to Facebook for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The 69p one is better, but still very clunky and to move round you have to come out of Streetview, move your location and go back in...

StreetViewer for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom