• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iOS4 problems

bigbex

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS4 last night and I have noticed a couple of problems:

1) My downloaded photos (not the ones taken with the iPhone camera) don't render correctly - They are all fuzzy (but used to be fine and were taken with an SLR!).

2) Some of my music won't appear in coverflow view, it just says 'Unknown' and doesn't display the artwork.

Is anyone else having similar problems. If so, has anyone got any ideas of how to rectify these problems of will I have to wait for an update from Apple?:facepalm:

mvineet

Try and sync the phone again. This should then optimize the photos and they should no longer be blurred. It did for mine after backup on its own.
If this does not work, maybe try removing all photos from phone (untick the sync photos button), sync the phone. Tick the sync photos button again and sync the phone. This should then optimize the photos on its own and they shouldn't be blurry any more. Hope this helps.

Kenny Lick Lick

None of those problems for me but my 3G is now running extremely (almost unusably) slowly and needs regularly rebooting to get it going again. Brilliant!

P

podpod

my internet not working...

and i cant see the APN options chcek the settings.

(im on orange uk - i upgraded from a jailbroken 3gs running)

i think i need to do system restore??

PRODIGY8

Same problem here mate!! Haven't tried a full restore yet though.....

Let me know if you manage to get it working!

P

podpod

Same problem here mate!! Haven't tried a full restore yet though.....

Let me know if you manage to get it working!

im at work atm so i cant do much..

ive tired to do reset all setting (without deleteing media..

im to scared to wipe all my media data with out backing up.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
The multi-tasking seems to slow down my 3GS on occasions.

But my biggest beef is that coverflow is simply broken and does not work at all. Of all the "issues", this one seems to have been glossed over, which irks me. The actual update was fine for me.

dazprospect

I had the same problem on Vodafone. Had to do a restore and set it up as a new phone and start again to get it to work.

PRODIGY8

I had the same problem on Vodafone. Had to do a restore and set it up as a new phone and start again to get it to work.

Cheers, Just done that and worked great :thumbsup:

Did a restore and used and old backup first and that didn't work, Has to be a setup as a new iPhone!

akki007

Upgraded my wifes 3GS this morning. It took 4 minutes to download the update, 6 minutes to restore, had a play and everything works fine, no photo pixelation issues...no loss of photos...no loss of contacts...no coverflow issues.

Im not posting this to brag, just to say that perhaps the issues you are receiving are a minority and not a software bug. Not sure what would cause them but they are definitely not blanket bugs.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Having some issues with Google sync, worst thing is it wont retrieve my email. Anyone getting this? Any known fix's?

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Upgraded my wifes 3GS this morning. It took 4 minutes to download the update, 6 minutes to restore, had a play and everything works fine, no photo pixelation issues...no loss of photos...no loss of contacts...no coverflow issues.

Im not posting this to brag, just to say that perhaps the issues you are receiving are a minority and not a software bug. Not sure what would cause them but they are definitely not blanket bugs.

The coverflow issue seems to have been reported mainly on 16GB 3GS models - I've not yet seen anyone complain who doesn't have the 3GS 16GB.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Just checked and it works for me. I have a iphone 3gs 16gb, Officially unlocked by O2 and not jailbroken..

Fair enough. I hope Apple don't tell users to restore factory settings and upgrade again, because that's a pretty poor way of "fixing" the problem!

RajP

Distinguished Member
I agree... and now I am missing the Jail break features which I though I would not need... simply the ability to swipe the top of the screen to get to the options menu to enable/disable the network/3G/Wifi/Bluetooth options... :rolleyes:

P

podpod

im at work atm so i cant do much..

ive tired to do reset all setting (without deleteing media..

im to scared to wipe all my media data with out backing up.

did a fresh restore... and it worked..

tried to load my back up and then the internet stoped again.. (guess cuz i had hacked apps etc)

so i restored again setting upa new phone and it works fine now..

mvineet

Just found out.. Can no longer update the phone field type in Contacts. Additionally while adding a new contact, it first gives option for adding mobile, then iphone and then home, work etc. No more can add custom labels or change type! not good.. This was not the case in previous versions and the ability to have a custom label was quite good.:confused:

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
getting a "could not activate cellular network" on my 3gs on o2 now. I have done a restore on it and then restored the last backup but still getting the same issues

any ideas?

danant

Standard Member
Just found out.. Can no longer update the phone field type in Contacts. Additionally while adding a new contact, it first gives option for adding mobile, then iphone and then home, work etc. No more can add custom labels or change type! not good.. This was not the case in previous versions and the ability to have a custom label was quite good.:confused:

You can alter the field type, just click on the field name and it should bring up a list of all the defaults or let you creat your own :) although I dont like the new contacts edit screen :nono:

I'm also having issue with slow 3g connection since the upgrade. Anyone found a solution yet??

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
did post the question in the problems thread but I think its getting missed

BAsically getting this error message since updating to iOS4, have treid restoring the phone then restoring a previous backpu but to no avail, also tried resetting the network settings but still the same

bigbex

The coverflow issue seems to have been reported mainly on 16GB 3GS models - I've not yet seen anyone complain who doesn't have the 3GS 16GB.

Mine is the 32GB 3GS and it has that problem.

Here is an update (although I haven't tried either of these fixes as I'm at work).

To fix the photo's not rendering correctly issue the first response to this thread appears to be the correct answer - Just resync or if that doesn't work, remove photos then add them again (apparently iTunes needs to re-render the photos).

To fix the coverflow problem [over on the Apple forum] a poster reckons to 'Connect to iTunes, but make sure your playlist check box is ticked. When you sync again Coverflow will work' - Not sure if this is just for playlists but worth a try. Someone else reports adding a new music track to the phone which prompted it to sort out the coverflow on the next sync.

Let me know if the coverflow part works. I'll try it tonight.

Last edited:

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Mine is the 32GB 3GS and it has that problem.

Here is an update (although I haven't tried either of these fixes as I'm at work).

To fix the photo's not rendering correctly issue the first response to this thread appears to be the correct answer - Just resync or if that doesn't work, remove photos then add them again (apparently iTunes needs to re-render the photos).

To fix the coverflow problem [over on the Apple forum] a poster reckons to 'Connect to iTunes, but make sure your playlist check box is ticked. When you sync again Coverflow will work' - Not sure if this is just for playlists but worth a try. Someone else reports adding a new music track to the phone which prompted it to sort out the coverflow on the next sync.

Let me know if the coverflow part works. I'll try it tonight.

I will try coverflow fixes when I get in as well - keen to see if it is this simple, as otherwise, the update is okay.

Not sure about all the hype though - spell-checking, the custom background and multi-tasking are all useful, but not exactly something to rave about for me. Still works just the same!

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
anyone help me on this network thing? everything on my phone is legit and its not been jailbroken before, rather not have to lose everything thats on there....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom