iOS4 on 3G - Underwhelmed

Alan_W

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As above really.
Installed iOS4 on my 3G and am really struggling to see anything different.

Most of the changes are for the 3GS ones I think - no wallpapers or multi-tasking for us 3G types! I do like the new folder options though, have mine all sorted alphabetically and it's noticeably tidier!

I was a bit disappointed too but I suppose it's now 2 year old tech and 2 generations behind the current model. I don't think any other 2 year old mobile gets software updates from the manufacturer anymore either.

Roll on Thursday for my shiny new iPhone 4! :)

Just installing on my 3G now, but i'm not expecting to be exited by it.

Think yourself lucky apple give this update away free at all!

I'd also say its down to marketing more than hardware that multitasking is disabled in 3G. Its worked fine for years with jailbreak.

Question to the OP:

Feel like you want to get yourself a new iP4? ;)

Last edited:
Just installing on my 3G now, but i'm not expecting to be exited by it.

Think yourself lucky apple give this update away free at all!

I'd also say its down to marketing more than hardware that multitasking is disabled in 3G. Its worked fine for years with jailbreak.

Question to the OP:

Feel like you want to get yourself a new iP4? ;)

Feel like a new change of phone to be totally honest! While the folder thing is totally cool, I'm not too sure whether the rest of the stuff is worthy of me actually getting the IP4....

I say this but I'll be more than likely be in some queue somewhere come Thursday. lol

That's probably the point... it's Apples way of saying 'hey, you have an old phone, buy a new one'.

At the same time though, it's kind of re-assuring me that I don't need to pull my hair out over not getting an IP4 at launch, it's more a treat than a necessity for me. God, I almost sound sensible...

Jailbreak and activate wallpapers and multitasking, jobsa :smashin:

Just done my 3G.

I can see folders, iBooks, combined email, little arrow to tell you location is being used.

Thats all im seeing but only had it 1 hr

As Hutch said you can jailbreak ISO4 and enable multi tasking and back ground wallpapers on the 3G, I have done it and it works well considering its not suppose to be powerful enough to do it, I made a thread in the jailbreak section.

Best change for me was the multiple Exchange server accounts (previously you could have only one). Now I have push Gmail (via Exchange) and my work email together.

yup, I was so underwhelmed with it on my 3G I just spent £599 to upgrade the hardware :D

Almost the same here but I went for a £499 instead.. :D

The Mrs is gonna go mental at me as we're expecting a baby in 3 months lol :laugh: I'm justifying it as a new camera and camcorder combined into a new phone ;)

I love the random justifications we can make to our other halves. Mine was a PS3 - its a Bluray DVD and a games console in one therefore it's like saving money.

Back on topic - I am awaiting my 3G to be returned/replaced have never considered JB before, maybe i'll try this before thinking about the i4.

The Mrs is gonna go mental at me as we're expecting a baby in 3 months lol :laugh: I'm justifying it as a new camera and camcorder combined into a new phone ;)

Me to lol, I told the Mrs I would be able to take HD video where ever , whenever, it's not like I carry a video camera around with me everywhere we go.

She looked me in the eye and said, yeah right! :rotfl:

Ah she knows me so well :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom