iOS4 In-Car USB Connectivity Issues

cwinterb

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3G that I have upgraded to iOS4. I also have an iPhone 4 on order that should ship on 2 July.

In my car I have a factory fitted stereo (Renault, Blaupunkt OEM) with USB port that worked before I upgraded to iOS4. I got track name on the car stereo display and could navigate music on the phone via the car's steering wheel mounted stereo controls etc. Unfortunately, since upgrading to iOS4 this no longer works. The car stereo reports "Cannot read this medium, please unplug".

It's not entirely clear as to whether this is an Apple issue or a car stereo issue but seems most likely to be the latter. So, I post this as a warning. If, like me, you use an iPhone for music in the car, via a dock/USB cable, make sure your car stereo manufacturer supports iOS4 (and iPhone 4) before upgrading!

I have an iPhone 3G that I have upgraded to iOS4. I also have an iPhone 4 on order that should ship on 2 July.

In my car I have a factory fitted stereo (Renault, Blaupunkt OEM) with USB port that worked before I upgraded to iOS4. I got track name on the car stereo display and could navigate music on the phone via the car's steering wheel mounted stereo controls etc. Unfortunately, since upgrading to iOS4 this no longer works. The car stereo reports "Cannot read this medium, please unplug".

It's not entirely clear as to whether this is an Apple issue or a car stereo issue but seems most likely to be the latter. So, I post this as a warning. If, like me, you use an iPhone for music in the car, via a dock/USB cable, make sure your car stereo manufacturer supports iOS4 (and iPhone 4) before upgrading!

Hmmm....

I've got a Kenwood bluetooth head unit in my car that is "iPhone Compatible" and has an Apple connector on the back. So I have run the white dock lead from it and it comes up nicely under the lid of my centre console.

I hadn't even thought about what will happen when I go iOS4 and iPhone 4 tomorrow...... :eek:

I have an Alpine CDE-104BTi and I have just read about the issues with compatibility. Somone suggested a hard iphone reset.

Just for the record, I tested my i4 in my car last night and everything worked fine.

It sync'd the phonebook without as it should once I had initially paired it and then I plugged it in and it started charging.

Last thing I did was to then play some tracks off the phone via the connection lead they played fine. :thumbsup:

I just added a thread on AV about this...Does it work wit connectivity of the iphone 4 or just the ipod features? Im curious as i bought a 2nd hand 204bti yesterday and im awaiting delivery but may have to be resold on if it wont work for my iphone 4! ARGHHHHHHH!!!

My alpine 102 works fine. It uses the full speed iPhone specific connection rather than a normal USB. We tried a 3GS which had been upgraded to iOS4 without a hard reset after the upgrade and it refused to work. One hard reset later and same phone on same connection worked fine.

yea i heard about hard resets solving the problems on ios4 but no mention of it on the iphone 4 (although it is the same firmware, could be a hardware issue). Also, what is exactly meant by a hard reset? Is it literally turning the phone off and on by pressing the home and lock buttons together or is it more of a connect to itunes reset?

sorry also, did the bluetooth calling function work for you or just the ipod function?

yea i heard about hard resets solving the problems on ios4 but no mention of it on the iphone 4 (although it is the same firmware, could be a hardware issue). Also, what is exactly meant by a hard reset? Is it literally turning the phone off and on by pressing the home and lock buttons together or is it more of a connect to itunes reset?

Yip, both buttons = hard reset.

Since I upgraded my 3GS to iOS4 I find that it fails to connect by Bluetooth to my Kenwood KDC-BT6544 car system about 1 out of 4 times. There doesn't seem any rhyme or reason to it - just refuses to connect at times then will connect if I turn the ignition off & then on again.

My 3GS running iOS 4 will no longer connect to my Marantz home CD player. It worked perfectly before the upgrade.

Quite a few issues with bluetooth/stereo connectivity it seems since the update. Parrot have similar problems, though TBH they are damn slow with updates and waited to start development only once you and I could get the firmware 4.x rather than using the developer releases to get a head start.
Pain in the rear, but at least on my MKI9200 kit I can use the aux in lead to get music.

The hard reset fixed the sync issued with my Hi Fi CD player.

On another note the factory fit bluetooth telephone service to my car hasn't been effected.

I use Blackberry bluetooth audio gateway to send music to my car over bluetooth by the A2DP protocol. This has gained a volume control function from my iPhone after I installed iOS 4. This service was otherwise uneffected and did not require a hard reset to make it work. Hopefully the hard reset hasn't killed either of these bluetooth uses.

There are known issues with the bluetooth with the new 4.0 and 4.0.1 if your BT deviced worked before the upgrade try using it in reverse, i.e use the controls on the Headunit to starting playing music.

The reseon for this suggestion is that my headphones stopped working via BT when I up graded to 4.0, before the upgrade I had to press play on the iphone to start playing music, after the upgrade that stopped working and I now have to press play on the headphones, after the device has woken up the BT on the phone the play/stop functions work on the iphone.

I know this becasue I tried it on my daugthers 3GS running 3.1.3 and it would only play music if you pressed play on the iphone first. Once I had done this I could then use the play/stop funtions on the Headphones

Strange I know. Hopefully these problems/issues will go away when 4.1 is released with full AVRCP

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom