• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iOS4.2 update now available

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Directing all the open threads to here now, and closing any new threads.

Now that OS4.2 is a unified release, this section should be the place to have all the posts.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Everywhere says its out, but the Apple website still says iOS 4.2 Comming Soon :confused:

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Due 10am Pacific time which is 6pm in the UK.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member

Attachments

• iOS42.jpg
    iOS42.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 112

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Front page of Apple website says out now...

The UK is now showing as available but I was lookign at the US store which still states comming soon. Ahh well, I'll udate it when I get home tonight :D

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
It's not free, you need a MobileMe account :(

Apparently Find my iPhone\iPad is the only "free" MobileMe feature that is coming with iOS 4.2. You still need a full blown account for everything else MobileMe.

gilford

Distinguished Member
Is there any way of downloading the iOS update without having to actually plug your device in? I wont be home till late but can access my Mac remotely from the office?

Cheers

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Hmm, I still think you have to pay after the initial trial period, but I may be wrong :)
There's nothing to indicate it's only a trial. The small print definitely uses the word free:

Create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad or iPod touch (4th generation) running iOS 4.2. Once you create an account on a qualifying device, use your Apple ID and password to enable Find My iPhone on your other devices running iOS 4.2.
Apple (United Kingdom) - iPad - Find My iPad Set-up

qwerty321

Distinguished Member

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I stand corrected :D

Its also only the Find my iPhone piece that is free.

Mail, iDisk and everything else is still subscription only.

smithy37

What is to stop Mr Burglar man finding (or stealing...grrr!!) your phone and just going into the settings and turning off the find my phone feature? Is it pin protected?

akki007

What is to stop Mr Burglar man finding (or stealing...grrr!!) your phone and just going into the settings and turning off the find my phone feature? Is it pin protected?

Or just turning GPS off. Surely it's the first thing that even the most stupid of thieves will do.

akki007

As long as I could wipe off the sensitive data, that would be a result for me, but I hear what you're saying.

I think you could still do that without GPS being on. Unless they turn the phone off? I suppose it's one step closer to finding it but not perfect. Certainly not worth paying for though!

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I would imagine if they can remotely alter settings, pin codes, etc, then they could remotely enable GPS.

Will this be for the 3GS too?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Or just turning GPS off. Surely it's the first thing that even the most stupid of thieves will do.

If GPS is off it uses Assisted GPS like on the WiFi only iPads to find it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom