iOS vs Android

MIghtyG

My phone contract is up in January so I have started researching phones and contracts and im stumped.

What to chose, Android or iOS?

I have narrowed my choices down to one of three phones.

HTC Desire HD---Samsung Galaxy S---iPhone 4

Price wise they are all about the same, iPhone is a touch more expensive than the others but it does come with 16gb of storage which the others dont.

So the real choice im faced with is Android vs iOS and I am well and truly gazumped.

Was hoping someone on here might have had both and thought one was better than the other and would be able to provide an honest opinion on both OSs?

For what its worth I have an iPad (16gb wifi) and iMac (27" i7) at home and a part of me really wants to 'complete the collection' and go for an iPhone but I just cant make my mind up.
I would like to use the phone as a wifi hot spot for my iPad though, I think im right in thinking that all these phones can be used for that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

jlm32

(I would like to use the phone as a wifi hot spot for my iPad though, I think im right in thinking that all these phones can be used for that?)

you can use the htc as a wifi hotspot not sure about the
Galaxy & its a no for the iphone,apple want u to buy a 3g ipad :( , if u get the iphone u could jailbreak & use as a hotspot,but u have to pay $20 for the hotspot software & it depends on what frimware the phone has if u can do it :confused:

the htc & iphone4 both have good camera's with flash the Galaxy has no flash.

if u play games a lot i would say iphone if u donts play many games then its the others,plus the htc & Galaxy you will get for free, all depends on you :D

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
One thing I will say about the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC phones (GF has a Galaxy S and guy next to me at work has a Desire) but none of them are as smooth as the iPhone.

the Samsungs and Desires phone browsing\graphics seems very clunky, sudden and jerky. Where as on the iPhone its such a pleasent experience. Plus with Android I find it seems to be very "Windows" like. Meaning lots of config\hacking\tweaking to get it working nicely, where as with the iPhone it just works plain and simple from the start.

RobM

Distinguished Member
I've posted many thoughts and comments on this subject over the last year or two on this forum. Very recently in fact so I'm sure people are bored of my opinion. I'll apologise now for the repetition and for the long post... :rolleyes: I hope it's worth something to someone though.

Android is a really, really good operating system. It's not finished yet, but it's still extremely good. Natively, without any manufacturer customisation (for instance, HTC do an excellent job of adding value to it, with their Sense UI) it's not a million miles away from iPhone in daily use. Both are effectively App Launchers - just a bunch of icons that lead you to individual Apps. Android has the advantage of Widgets that can be added to show live info on your homescreen, the downside being battery life, data usage and if you're not careful, one heck of a messy homescreen. But it all adds to the level of customisation you can have over the way the OS looks. You really can make it your own in many ways.

Android also has a massive range of devices, so it's easy to find a phone running Android you like the look and feel of, within a budget you set. You can spend £99 or £599, the choice is yours.

The downsides to Android... while the number of handsets from many manufacturers offers great choice, it presents problems too. For instance, one App from the Market has to work on many combinations of screen size, screen resolution, processor speed, GPU support and acceleration and other factors like these. So how can one App be the best it can be for your device? Simply, it can't, it's a compromise. The end result is I'm yet to find an Android application that really feels like it is the best it can be. Jagged, pixelated graphics and obviously upscaled images are clear for all to see on large screen devices, sluggish performance on others, all with the same App. With nothing to compare it to, you'll be more than happy, but if you've ever witnessed an App optimised to run on one device you'll see how good they can be.
(FYI, the Market only offers categories of Low, Medium and High for screen resolution/size when submitting Apps... High covering tablets, HTC's Desire and the Desire HD all together)

That said, there are some really good 3D games out there which look and play great. These don't always suffer the same problems and look really good. It's the simpler stuff and non-3D-gaming Apps that really suffer.

Then there is the much discussed subject of fragmentation. You can walk into a shop and buy an Android phone or tablet, use it, learn it and be comfortable that you know 'Android'. You then pick up the next device and it's completely different, but it's still running Android? You chose it specifically because your last handset was Android and you know how to use it? But it's very different? And some of the Apps you've already paid for and want to use again don't work? How can this be good for the average consumer? You can buy an Android device today running Android 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 and all are different. You can even buy two handsets running 2.2 and both be different due to manufacturer customisations - Xperia, Sense, MotoBlur, TouchWiz, native Android for instance. The way around it is to always buy phones from the same manufacturer... but isn't that what you were trying to get away from with the iPhone?

For some this is an absolute blessing. But those tend to be people who read forums like this and research and dare I say get geeky over their handsets. Judging it on how an average consumer might see things... it's a bad thing. Android should be Android. Interestingly, Microsoft seem to appreciate this and insist on a consistent user experience for Windows Phone 7. Google are also aware of the problem and have commented on it a few times, hinting even that manufacturer skins aren't a good thing.

So... iOS...

The iPhone simply doesn't have the same level of customisation as Android does. If you don't like the hardware (always a choice of two...), tough. You don't like iTunes, tough. The ringtones, tough? You want a specific hardware feature it doesn't have, tough.

This is closed vs open systems at it's best. iOS is closed.

But let's pretend you're an average consumer buying an iPhone. You buy, learn, trust your phone. You buy Apps for it. You get iTunes setup the way you want. You then buy a new iPhone and you get all the new features, but everything else carries on as it was before. No Apple operating system is radically different from the last, so you never feel like for every release you're on a new learning curve, but you never feel like it's brand new either. But... compare iPhone OS 1.0 to iOS 4.2.1 and you might be surprised at how different it is. Same applies to OSX versions across the years.

This is all excellent news for some... utterly boring for others.

Also consider updates, in terms of frequency and impact. No manufacturer offers the same level of support for old models with new software as Apple. Not even HTC can compete here and they aren't bad. iPhones are really well supported by Apple and updates come out to support the last three models usually, minus a few headline features (it's business, afterall).

But as is always the case with Apple (warning, here comes a cliché) 'it just works'. I'm not suggesting for one second Apple products don't ever have problems, but generally speaking if they release a new feature it just works, it does what it says it will do, easily. On-Phone video editing, HDR photography, getting your music, video, tv, podcasts, pictures onto your phone and then playing them on your TV (AirPlay)... all stuff that just a few short years ago only the minority cared about. Today, your Mum can do it. It just works.

Then there is the App debate. The iPhone brand carries a lot of weight and credibility for companies when it comes to developing Apps. So at the moment, despite the difference in the sheer number of handsets on each platform, it's still the first port of call for a lot of developers (not all though). There have also been a few independent reports that show developers are making more money from iTunes App Store than the Android Market (overall and per-user). This again brings developers to the iOS platform too.

But why should users care about this? They shouldn't have to. What they will find is Apps that have been designed for their handset. When the iPhone 4 came out with it's 'Retina' display, Apps were updated to support both equally, something that was made much easier by Apple through iOS' support of the @2x flag on image names. If it's there, it's Retina and iPhone 4 uses it and the end result is images drawn and designed specifically for that display. iOS does all the hard work for you. This makes it really easy to develop your App in a way that really does please everyone, without any feeling of compromise. The developer needs to add this support though, so not all Apps are created equally...

Then there is accessory support. Nothing can compare with the number and variety in every area of iPhone supported accessories. Pick a category (not MicroSD cards... ;) ) and chances are you can find dedicated iPhone docks that work with your phone, your iPod, your replacement iPhone, the one after that...

So after all that, I'd be surprised if anybody is reading :laugh: I've not gone into massive detail on any area, but I'm happy to and I'm happy to provide examples of any statements I've made, I'm also happy to be proven wrong about anything. Some of this is fact, some experience, some opinion... make of it what you will :)

One day I'll stop replying to posts like this...

An excellent post mate, so when are you coming back into the fold once more? :D

RobM

Distinguished Member
I never left... I tried, I will again, but not this time. HTC Desire HD went back to CarPhoneWarehouse today, iPhone 4 is back in action :)

(assuming you meant the iPhone...)

I meant that club more exclusive than the iPhone, the Moderators! :D

RobM

Distinguished Member
No thank you :) My original reasons for standing down have been proven again in the last few days, so I know I did the right thing. Nice thought though :)

MIghtyG

Cheers for that post RobM, certainly a lot to think about anyway.

Been thinking about this some more and I have narrowed it down to 2. iPhone 4 or HTC Desire HD

The main pros and cons for me are:

iPhone Pros
Retina display
Ease of use
Better maintained app store (High walled gardens might be restrictive but they sure are looked after!)
Better looking phone (imo)
iOS runs smother than Android (according to many things I have read online)
Better support from apple with updates etc
Can run Omnifocus (a program I use allot for project management on my iPad, would be nice to take it portable)
I already have an iPad, Apple TV and iMac so would complete the collection!

iPhone Cons
Restrictive OS limiting customization (unless you jailbreak it)
Cant be used for wifi tethering (unless you jailbreak it)
Phone costs slightly more than others
No removable storage
Non user replaceable battery
Mobile me costs extra when you get similar features for free on new HTC handsets

HTC Desire HD Pros
Easily customised without hacking
Tons of apps available which aren't restricted to what Steve jobs says is good
Can be used for wifi tethering
User replaceable battery and memory
HTC sense which does allot of what mobile me does and more, for free.

HTC Desire HD Cons
Much more 'geeky' than the iPhone, some things might not 'just work' like on the iPhone (I am a self professed geek but I, and im sure many other tech heads, have had that frustrating "JUST ****ing WORK!" moment...)
Massive un-controlled app store which could put anything on your phone if you arent careful
Harder to get updates since you are waiting on both HTC and the carrier to approve updates
Battery life is poorer than on the iPhone (again, something I have read on a few places online)

Theres more pros and cons for both but thats the main ones that spring to mind.

My heart says iPhone, my head says HTC!

Last edited by a moderator:

CamFire

I've just searched for the text "security" in this thread and found none. Is this a consideration?

MIghtyG

What do you mean? Data security on the phone incase it gets lost or stolen or Security to stop people remote hacking the phone?

well both are I guess, I know that on the HTC with Sense you can register your phone and remote lock your phone and wipe its content.

Not really sure if its possible on the iPHone?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
What do you mean? Data security on the phone incase it gets lost or stolen or Security to stop people remote hacking the phone?

well both are I guess, I know that on the HTC with Sense you can register your phone and remote lock your phone and wipe its content.

Not really sure if its possible on the iPHone?
It is now, on the iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2 you get Find My iPhone free which locates it via GPS, lets you remotely password protect, lock, or wipe the handset.

CamFire

Aren't there reports of screen-savers on Android machines which give away information on the phone to undesirable destinations for free?

Uridium

Aren't there reports of screen-savers on Android machines which give away information on the phone to undesirable destinations for free?
If someone chooses to install a screensaver that warns at install (as all Android apps do) that it has full access to the dialler and messaging system functions then more fool them.....

RobM

Distinguished Member
I've just searched for the text "security" in this thread and found none. Is this a consideration?
Yes, absolutely. I posted some thoughts and a few links for reading in the Android Software forum if you're interested, when somebody else asked a similar thing :)

Again on the Open vs Closed approach, one of the benefits of a closed system is often increased security. One of the downsides to an open system that lets anybody submit Apps without regulation is anyone can submit Apps, whatever their motive. iOS isn't free from risk, but overall it's more secure than Android in terms of vulnerabilities.

RobM

Distinguished Member
My heart says iPhone, my head says HTC!
Let me see if I can add some weight to the opposite of each, since I've just gone from iPhone 4 to Desire HD and back again...

iPhone practicalities (head):

Battery life is far, far superior right out of the box.
Screen is far, far superior in every way but size.
Accessory choice, from simple cases and protection to AV systems is superior.
Apple support is superior, especially if you live near a store where you can just walk in and get problems fixed, get advice, tutorials etc (not that you need them by the sounds of it).
The work you've put into getting your iPad working with iTunes will benefit the iPhone.
Do you need a big device if you already have an iPad?

Desire HD things to love (heart):

Huge screen.
Sense UI over the top of Android is excellent.
It can be customised until your hearts content.
It's a bit different to the norm', people will wonder what it is.
Social networking is delivered to you (if that's important...?) rather than you going to find it.
All the excellent Google services are given to you first and for free, integrated with your device (I'm more of a Google fanboy than Apple)

Side-by-Side:

You're first week with the Desire HD will be a 50/50 split of awesome and annoying. On the awesome front, you'll be customising every option like a madman and loving it. On the annoying front, you'll be charging it twice a day.

Once you've got it working, looking, feeling and sounding the way you want... the customisation fun slows down and the novelty wears off. You might still tweak the odd thing here and there, but nothing that really brings huge fun or value to the DHD.

With the iPhone, you'll spend the first week pushing it at your face to see if you can spot any pixels, as it's just sooo damn clear. You'll stare in wonderment at the size. You'll hold it in your hand like a moron to try and prove the 'antennagate' problems do exist. You'll then realise in normal daily use, they don't. You'll always find a reason to pick it up and play, even if that's just a silly game.

I've had iPhone since it was released, also got the iPad, 4 macs, 2 apple tvs etc. To me as I was so used to it, the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 was a case of hmm is that it. But then again I've had it for three happy years.

So I used my wife as a guinnea pig and got her an htc legend, great build quality and it just works and fluidly as well. So as I like the latest and newest I got myself a galaxy s. Well what a rubbish android experience that was. Samsungs version has on paper great hardware but it was pretty rubbish to use. The software was buggy incoherent. Super smoked should be great, yet the auto brightness never was bright enough in direct sunlight and when using it in the darkness it was too bright hurt my eyes. Sure you can manually adjust but that is not the point. My trusted iPhones did little details like that flawlessly.

So I send it back and got a refund, yet still am a little bored by ios4 as I've used it for so long. Anyway when I saw my wifes htc legend again I notice that android can work well, very well.

I got an htc desire hd when it was released an I really like it. Everything on it works well, it is weighted well to hold, screen adjusts perfectly and it is lightning fast to use. Very fast and to me something new. From what I've seen of android on Sony and on motorola and on samsung I would never get those. But the htc implementation is great with some very clever linking and a great user interface.

However if you are new to ios4 you won't be bored by it either. To me the choose would clearly between those two handsets.

noidea

If someone chooses to install a screensaver that warns at install (as all Android apps do) that it has full access to the dialler and messaging system functions then more fool them.....
but isn't this a clear example of android being geekier whereas you can trust ios to just work? The world is full of people who open rogue attachments on emails or ignore warnings like the above etc. If there are apps like that appearing on Android the next step will be needing anti-virus software to be running and being updated regularly

I think it is a very fair point, as I have said many a time against Android but always was excused as an Apple Fanboy, its openess is its biggest problem. It affects stuff like security and vulnerability, but also simple stuff like battery life through multi-tasking etc. Didn't stop me from buying into it, but would I recommend it to my nan, no.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom