• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ios 9.2 now out

Apple Music improvements
--You can now create a new playlist when adding a song to a playlist
--Your most recently changed playlist is now listed at the top when adding songs to playlists
--Download albums or playlists from your iCloud Music Library by tapping the iCloud download button
--See which songs have been downloaded with the new download indicator next to each song in My Music and Playlists
--See works, composers, and performers while browsing Classical music in the Apple Music catalog
- A new Top Stories section in News so you can stay up to date with the most important news of the day (available in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia)
- Mail Drop in Mail for sending large attachments
- iBooks now supports 3D Touch to peek and pop pages from the table of contents, your notes and bookmarks, or from search results inside a book
- iBooks now supports listening to an audiobook while you browse your library, read other books, or explore the iBooks Store
- iPhone support for the USB Camera Adapter to import photos and videos
- Improved stability of Safari
- Improved stability of Podcasts
- Fixing an issue that caused mail attachments to be inaccessible for some users with POP email accounts
- Resolving an issue for some users that caused attachments to overlap text in mail
- Fixing an issue where Live Photos could have turned off after restoring from a previous iCloud backup
- Addressing an issue that could cause search in Contacts to display no results
- Resolving an issue that could have prevented Calendar from displaying all seven days in week view
- Fixing an issue where Camera screen on iPad could be black when attempting to capture video
- Addressing an issue that could cause instability in the Activity app when viewing the day of Daylight Savings Time transition
- Fixing an issue that could prevent data from appearing in Health
- Fixing an issue that could prevent Wallet updates and Lock screen alerts from displaying
- Addressing an issue where updating iOS could prevent an alarm from going off
- Fixing an issue where some users were unable to login to Find my iPhone
- Fixing an issue that prevented some manual iCloud Backups from completing
- Addressing an issue where using the iPad keyboard could unintentionally trigger text selection mode
- Improved keyboard responsiveness when using Quick Reply
- Improved punctuation input on the 10-key Chinese (Pinyin & Stroke) keyboards with new expanded view of punctuation symbols and better predictions
- Fixing an issue on Cyrillic keyboards where caps lock would be enabled when typing in URL or email fields
- Siri support for Arabic (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates)
- Accessibility improvements
--Fixing issues with VoiceOver when using Camera face detection
--Adding support for VoiceOver to wake up the screen
--Adding support for VoiceOver to invoke app switcher with 3D Touch gesture
--Fixing an issue with Guided Access when trying to end phone calls
--Improved functionality for Switch Control users when using 3D Touch
--Fixing an issue with speech rate of Speak Screen

w3dal

Distinguished Member
downloading now - looks like the watch has an update also

ruffage

Distinguished Member
They kept that quiet. Hope Safari works better with NTLM authentication. It's been broken since iOS 8...

Dave X

Prominent Member
as above loads of fixes and more importantly if your on three it enables volte

It also enables VoLTE for EE so I suspect the switch will be flicked quite soon for VoLTE on EE as well.

image.png

Manunkind

Established Member
Wow, this update is smooth! The 3D Touch and the multi tasking switchers are silky smooth now on the 6s+

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I did the update to my 6+ and after using it for an hour or so suspected it was running smoother/faster, reports now confirm the 6+ in particular benefits greatly from this update.

BM08

Prominent Member
Said in the 6S thread but me and the wife's 6S has definitely seen an improvement in battery life and speed increase/smoothness when using 3D Touch. Over all well worth the 200 odd mb update.

outoftheknow

Well it seems to have fixed the occasional message in the morning after about 8 hours, that Touch ID requires a password after 48 hours not using it..........
This morning it informed me my password was required to enable Touch ID!

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Can't upgrade yet due to it interfering with my mobileiron that we use for work. But mine still runs fine on 9.1

alan280170

Distinguished Member
What's a "mobileiron"?

It's what my company and I'm sure other's use for their ultra secure mobile email and client data stored on my phone, crappy thing is you have to use a longer password, if you change it to 4 digits it will not allow you to check the company mail and stuff.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Understood. I have something similar on my work Microsoft Win mobile for outlook etc that also requires a 5 digit pin.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Hi all. I want to ask people's opinion on the news iOS update. I am currently using an iPhone 6 and 8.something. I have never updated the iOS on the phone as in the past it has led to nothing but problems and decreased battery life. I'm currently happy with the battery life on the iPhone 6 so I have decided not to update.

However because of this I can't update the watch os on my apple watch. I have noticed that I can't get certain watch apps and even have some become unusable because they are no longer supported on the old watch os. So is it time to update both phone and watch?

Can people give me their honest opinion on the new iOS? What have your experiences been? Have you had problems and decreased battery life? Thanks.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I have an iPhone 6 Plus and it's been the best phone I've ever owned as far as battery life goes. It was on iOS 8. something or other when I bought it last July and I've updated it as each new version has come out...the battery life or speed of operation has not been affected, it's still a great phone.

outoftheknow

I have updated every phone I have had including the current 6 Plus and personally nothing has brought my phone use to a halt. Admittedly I don't do any social stuff except FB with 4 family members about once a month and have very few apps to do thanks the phone can already do.

IMO Apple updates are a better bet than Amsroid in terms of fixing noted issues and where something breaks at an update they are usually pretty quick to send out the incremental fix. That is the point where you need to stay engaged in the update process though. Better beta testing as well IMO with iOS.

bransoj

Prominent Member
Had 3GS, 5 and now a 6S...always updated the iOS version pretty much as soon as it comes out more recently doing all of them OTA. Never had an issue with them breaking battery life or the phone. Yes there will be the odd one that has an issue but i suspect a full iTunes restore would sort it but for me i cant really see a reason to stay on the older iOS versions when the new ones come out missing out on new features and arguably more importantly the security fixes.

localboy27

Prominent Member
I update as soon as it comes out
iPhone 6 and 6s
Both have excellent battery

Don't hold off updating your iPhone because of previous phones.

pixlrik

Prominent Member
My 6 Plus is still on 8.3, solely to keep my jailbreak and also because I hate how the Music app is now, so I'll keep it on 8.3 as long as I can! The battery still lasts me 2 days between charges though, and that's with good amount of usage every day. On some lighter days, it has lasted 3.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info. A lot to think about. I might update this weekend.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I've just updated to 9.2 after holding off for so long. I've got a general question about iOS and so I thought I would post here:

Is there anyway to select which photo is used as the album preview image in your list of albums in the photos app?

Also, can I ask people to check their 'recently deleted' folder. Does yours show a picture thumbnail when in folder view? Mine just has a bin icon even when there are photos in it.

And still no way to close all apps at once?

Last edited:

bransoj

Prominent Member
And still no way to close all apps at once?
Nope because it's not required as pointless doing it. iOS manages itself what to close when required and closing stuff down yourself actually means more battery is used as apps have to open fully each time. Only time you should close an app down through the switcher is if it's crashed.

Steroc

Prominent Member
Nope because it's not required as pointless doing it. iOS manages itself what to close when required and closing stuff down yourself actually means more battery is used as apps have to open fully each time. Only time you should close an app down through the switcher is if it's crashed.
All depends on how well the app is written. Some apps use a lot of battery in the background. Facebook is the worst culprit. It can half my battery life if I don't force close it and turning off background refresh seems to have no effect.

pixlrik

Prominent Member
I find this too, even though others have said that closing the apps is pointless/bad. MY battery lasts 2 days, on occasion 3 between charges and once I'm finished using the phone, I close all apps in one button press (jailbroken). If I didn't, the battery doesn't last as long.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom