iOS 5.1 beta fixes battery issues!

Reaction score
Updated to this earlier today and my battery life has improved immensely. Before the update, my iPhone 4s would lose 40% overnight (roughly 7-8 hours) whilst in standby. Now after 2 hours of standby, the phone is still sitting at 100% with loads of apps running in the background.

Will charge it fully tonight and see what the battery is like in the morning. :thumbsup:

Im guessing a lot of people think its 5.0.1 hence no one is talking about it on here :D

4% usage over night on stand by. so far so good (was on 97% before i went to sleep) :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Photo 30-11-2011 07 33 42.png
    Photo 30-11-2011 07 33 42.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 674
I have 5.0 on my iP4 and the battery can still say 100% in the afternoon when I've had the phone doing quite a bit of stuff during the day after an all night charge. Battery usually lasts me 2 or even 3 (the odd time 4) days before requiring charged again. If 5.1 makes it last even longer, great, if not, I don't see the need to upgrade unless it adds some major bug fixes or new features. I'd hate to update and it makes the battery worse.

I have 5.0 on my iP4 and the battery can still say 100% in the afternoon when I've had the phone doing quite a bit of stuff during the day after an all night charge. Battery usually lasts me 2 or even 3 (the odd time 4) days before requiring charged again. If 5.1 makes it last even longer, great, if not, I don't see the need to upgrade unless it adds some major bug fixes or new features. I'd hate to update and it makes the battery worse.

I think this is more for the iphone 4s. On iOS 5.0.1 I would lose 40% battery over night whilst the phone is in standby :rolleyes:

Update is still in the Beta first stage, it will be a while before it's released

I read on Redmond Pie that iOS 5.1 still doesn't help with battery issues, they say it's not affected

leebroath said:
Update is still in the Beta first stage, it will be a while before it's released

I read on Redmond Pie that iOS 5.1 still doesn't help with battery issues, they say it's not affected

5.1 is in indeed in the first beta and will probably take a while to come out, however a 5.0.2 update should be released to the public soon.

Apple only issues developer betas when something changes for developers, if developers are not affected by the change Apple simply releases it to the public directly.

5.1 beta is not meant to fix battery issues, it offers only a new dictation interface for apps.

Last edited:
A dictation interface for Apps...very interesting... ;-)

bpsmith said:
A dictation interface for Apps...very interesting... ;-)

Very interested indeed.. "open navigon and navigate to xx111yy".. Also useful if they include commands such as "enable wifi", "enable bluetooth", etc.

rune said:
Very interested indeed.. "open navigon and navigate to xx111yy".. Also useful if they include commands such as "enable wifi", "enable bluetooth", etc.

Don't get too excited yet :)

The 5.1 beta new feature is only a way for apps to get multiple interpretations of dictated speech, eg you say "move the pair" and iOS would tell the app both "move the pair" and "move the pear". The app then chooses the most appropriate.

It may be in preparation of bigger plans though.

I'm not sure what Redmond Pie are talking about tbh. I have to agree with the op on this one and say the battery does indeed seem to be a lot better even though mine was fine before. Now it seems amazing!:thumbsup:

Apple might be using frequency scaling to remedy battery life issues. the 4s fluctuates from 800mhz to 1ghz anyway so they might even underclock it further via some algorithm..?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom