iOS 4 and iPad

DrD787

Now that we have iOS 4 on our phones is everyone else suddenly desperate to see it on the iPad. It's going to be a long wait to the autumn before we have it. It's not just the new features, it's the fact that certain things are just different. The iPad OS now seems very old hat.
I fully appreciate there must be significant technical work to achieve it, since it's not just the porting of it, it is the fact that there will undoubtedly be things that end up being done slightly differently to make better use of the iPad screen.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
I think iOS4 will highlight, in a bad way, the tiny 256Mb working memory of the iPad. The multi-tasking will be shutting down apps all the time for garbage collection. Paves the way for a 512Mb iPad S next Spring.

DrD787

I think iOS4 will highlight, in a bad way, the tiny 256Mb working memory of the iPad. The multi-tasking will be shutting down apps all the time for garbage collection. Paves the way for a 512Mb iPad S next Spring.

But background apps are not actually running, their memory state is stored to flash, so I don't see that as relevant.

Stuart

Distinguished Member
tdenson said:
But background apps are not actually running, their memory state is stored to flash, so I don't see that as relevant.

Apps will be aloud to continue to play audio amongst a limited number of other background activities, which will eat into the ram.

DrD787

Apps will be aloud to continue to play audio amongst a limited number of other background activities, which will eat into the ram.

Yes, but in actual practice although you might have 30 or 40 apps in the fast switcher launch bar, only 2 or 3 of them would be in the category you are describing, I really don't think it's a problem. It was previously true that you could multitask Apple apps, and I can only see one running one or two third party apps that continue to run in the background.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Hasn't the iPhone 3GS only got 256mb and that seems to have no issues.

So what iPad specific features would people like to see in the 4.0 OS? I'd love a great home screen with weather, iCal events, news headlines, clock, email alert, Facebook feed etc.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
I'm confident the iPad will absolutely fly under iOS4

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Multi User would be awesome, as stated above, as you would then get to have your own complete setup, like Mail, Photo's, Music, Apps, etc.

It works great now, but that would be the icing on the cake in a multi user family!

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Not really interested in the multitasking, dont have any where near the same amount of apps on my iPad as I do my phone so dont really care about folders, no camera so no issues with zoom, dont need the spell check as I have Pages and DocumentstoGo - the only thing I am interested in is the new mail engine. My 10+ year old email address (@btinternet.com) does not send emails - I can recive them fine, but just cannot send them.

OS4i fixed that on my iPhone and should do on the iPad as well. :smashin:

drew_bwfc

Multi tasking is only thing I really want at this point, just for little things such as when I'm playing scrabble and the computer dreams up a word, if I want to look it up I have to close open, close open etc etc

Stuff like Folders is useless if you can only have 9 things in like the iPhone.

I would like a calculator and I'm sure there will be additional stuff we've yet to think of apple will add to iPads version of os4.

DrD787

To be able to delete films & music straight from my iPad would be good

Agreed. Particularly when travelling it would be useful to be able to free up space after watching something. This has always annoyed me about the iPod/iPhone/iTunes ecosystem.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Agreed. Particularly when travelling it would be useful to be able to free up space after watching something. This has always annoyed me about the iPod/iPhone/iTunes ecosystem.

You've always been able to delete films from the iPod and iPhone, and this hasn't changed on the iPad. On the iPad you just click and hold on the film in the movie list and it gives you a cross to give you the option to delete.

Doesn't anybody read the manual anymore?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
+1 for Circuitous and Backgrounder. Starts to show the potential of the device for consuming media have web, mail games and radio streaming together. But it. Really shows the need for 512Mb!

Stinja

Distinguished Member
You've always been able to delete films from the iPod and iPhone, and this hasn't changed on the iPad. On the iPad you just click and hold on the film in the movie list and it gives you a cross to give you the option to delete.

Manual? :confused:

So how does one delete music from the iPod player? Can i rename, set the artist or genre if incorrect etc etc? I too call for a bit more computer independence for the iPad.

DrD787

Doesn't work for me (but then I do look/listen exclusively to podcasts). When you say the movie list do you mean in the iPod app ?

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Doesn't work for me (but then I do look/listen exclusively to podcasts). When you say the movie list do you mean in the iPod app ?

On the iPod touch, go into the Videos App and simply touch and swipe your finger to the left and it will bring up the option to delete. You can delete audio only podcasts on the iPod the same way.

On the iPad, you simply click and hold, and it brings up a cross.

DrD787

On the iPod touch, go into the Videos App and simply touch and swipe your finger to the left and it will bring up the option to delete. You can delete audio only podcasts on the iPod the same way.

On the iPad, you simply click and hold, and it brings up a cross.

Ah yes, of course, I had forgotten that, but I remember now why I discounted it several years ago when I first saw it. As soon as you resync, the podcast comes back again which is doubly confusing. It means you still have to manage things on the Mac. What I really want is for it to delete on the Mac once deleted on the iPod or else the function is useless (I never really need the space having a 32GB iPhone, I just want to keep track of what I have listened to - and yes, I do know about the blue dot).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio